Pop on Spotify: Missing songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobaticFly

The Fly
Anyone know why like half of Pop is not on Spotify? I think it's the only U2 album missing songs there. Zooropa might be down a song too.

Must have something to do with the publishing rights re the samples on the grayed out songs. Playboy Mansion, Wake Up Dead Man are the two I know off the top of my head that are sample-heavy. Not sure about Discotheque and Last Night On Earth.

I'm guessing that Do You Feel Loved isn't on there either? If so it's likely the sample rights issue.

This! This annoys me SO MUCH :angry: I even dug out my Discotheque CD single in distress the other day because I was so tired of hearing Pop without it. And come to find out, the CD I picked didn't even have the original song on it - it was just remixes :lol: I can barely remember what else is on Pop. Urgent need to find my CD, stat!

Really?

Then maybe I'm doing it wrong. I use it very seldom, but recently I used it to preview the newest Damien Rice and Mumford and Sons album and both I could only play on shuffle and both only had like 8 songs. So I thought that maybe that was how they enticed people to pay for the service.

It's missing Discotheque, LNOE, TPM, and WUDM. Don't know why. Discotheque is also missing on the best of. I listen to a ton on Spotify and I've never come across this.

So, I unearthed my Pop CD today and gave it a spin. (Forgot how 'weighty' CDs used to be :D)

I pay for Spotify too and those tracks don't even show up for me, not even greyed out, on the Pop tracklist. Alas! I bet Cori's right, that some samples got tangled in legalities, but I didn't think they sampled that much... at least not what I can hear.

Really?

Then maybe I'm doing it wrong. I use it very seldom, but recently I used it to preview the newest Damien Rice and Mumford and Sons album and both I could only play on shuffle and both only had like 8 songs. So I thought that maybe that was how they enticed people to pay for the service.

I use it to check out new stuff as well to see if I want to buy it, and I rarely find an incomplete album.

Spotify is actually pretty useful. We use it at university for our parties, as a mate has a paid membership, and it's very convenient we can make playlists and play the music without having to actually pay for all the songs individually. Not everything is on it, but enough pop music and themed music so we can have a good night. My mate's gutted Taylor Swift took her stuff off though. :wink:

I can honestly say Pop is the only album I've heard of only being partially available. It's never been an issue for me.

I don't know how artists "earning a pittance" makes the site any less useful for users...If I have a legal option not to pay $15 up front for every album I listen to, I'll take that and support artists I like through merch.

Last edited:
There are other albums with greyed out songs. Nothing that comes to mind now, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this in the past.

Through The Fire And The Flames by Dragonforce is the only one sofar I've come across that wasn't available. Which is weird, as it's their biggest song.

I'll have to check later today if it's fully available on Apple Music.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It also looks like it's finally complete on Google Play Music as well, so I don't have to use my manually-imported version (sidenote: allowing manually-uploaded songs is great for bootlegs, and why I use GPM instead of Apple Music or Spotify).

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This album was actually the reason I switched from Spotify to Google Play. Because I could upload my own tracks to Play and have them available in the cloud, I took the handful of tracks that were missing (They weren't there on Google Play either, fwiw) uploaded them, and was, from then on, able to listen to the album straight through streaming.

Back
Top Bottom