"pop" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:11 AM
"pop"

Hey guys!!

Is it just me or is "POP" not that bad of an album after all?

I haven`t listened to it for a while so i decided to put it in my car the other day. I know it got canned in certain circles, and even by the band themselves at times, but to me apart from a couple of forgettable tracks most of the others are pretty good songs! Listening to MOFO with the volume turned way up still sounds cool too!
When i was listening to it today it reminded me of that era and i started remembering everything that i was doing at the time. Going to the Virgin Megastore in Melbourne to buy a copy of the cd at the midnight launch, buying the singles as they were released, going crazy looking for these wierd orange sunglasses...he he (Mikli`s). Which i finally ended up finding by pure luck, and of course going to POPMART, and very nearly meeting the band before the show!

Anyway, if anyone agrees drop me a line!

Cheers, Mikie.

u2mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 PM
"POP" is brilliant. in my top 5. i'm sorry to be the one to inform you that this thread will be filled with flame wars and many posters thinking their opinions are better than everyone else's. you seem like a good guy, so i hope you continue to post here. don't take the future results of this thread personally.

mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Pop's also in my top five, so I cannot complain about this thread.
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 PM
I love Pop... and don't worry, it's generally revered on Interference. Mofo is possibly still the greatest piece of sonic awesomeness I've ever heard.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I love Pop... and don't worry, it's generally revered on Interference. Mofo is possibly still the greatest piece of sonic awesomeness I've ever heard.
even tracks 8-12, which many tend to slag off, are wonderful tunes. i'm one of the few that really likes Miami and Playboy Mansion. they both create atmospheres really well, and then tracks 10-12 are just so fucking dark.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
even tracks 8-12, which many tend to slag off, are wonderful tunes. i'm one of the few that really likes Miami and Playboy Mansion. they both create atmospheres really well, and then tracks 10-12 are just so fucking dark.
I like Miami and The Playboy Mansion... and Please is one of my all-time favorites.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

you know, i'm on my laptop right now, and my Itunes is on my other computer, but i really need to post the awesome Pop double album playlist i made a couple years ago.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 08:11 PM
People will tell you this was U2 at their most bandwagon jumping, what with all the electronica/techno influence. And people like me will say, "how is that any different than what they jumped on during the Achtung Baby Manchester rave scene? And yet that album is praised unanimously?!" And then those people will have nothing more to say except..."uhhh well Bono said it could've been better and i agree" and then i'll say, "he said the same thing about HTDAAB- your favorite album!"...and then they'll say "but music is subjective"..and then i'll say "no, it's not. It's common sense. POP rules and HTDAAB sucks big f-ing elephant d-ck!" And then they'll start crying and i'll get banned from the site.

POP is in my top 5 U2 albums. It's the last time U2 really tried anything out of their comfort zone. And no, ATYCLB wasn't out of their comfort zone trying to write hit songs. (see Sweetest Thing for proof of that). But i did like ATYCLB because luckily for me i liked the songs. But if anyone was out of their comfort zone on HTDAAB, it was definitely me, because i felt truly uncomfortable while listening to that album.

POP rules. The end.
ozeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozeeko View Post
People will tell you this was U2 at their most bandwagon jumping, what with all the electronica/techno influence. And people like me will say, "how is that any different than what they jumped on during the Achtung Baby Manchester rave scene? And yet that album is praised unanimously?!" And then those people will have nothing more to say except..."uhhh well Bono said it could've been better and i agree" and then i'll say, "he said the same thing about HTDAAB- your favorite album!"...and then they'll say "but music is subjective"..and then i'll say "no, it's not. It's common sense. POP rules and HTDAAB sucks big f-ing elephant d-ck!" And then they'll start crying and i'll get banned from the site.

POP is in my top 5 U2 albums. It's the last time U2 really tried anything out of their comfort zone. And no, ATYCLB wasn't out of their comfort zone trying to write hit songs. (see Sweetest Thing for proof of that). But i did like ATYCLB because luckily for me i liked the songs. But if anyone was out of their comfort zone on HTDAAB, it was definitely me, because i felt truly uncomfortable while listening to that album.

POP rules. The end.
i agree with most of this, except i really enjoy ATYCLB and HTDAAB too. U2 are my favorite musicians, so i generally enjoy most of the music they make.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I like Miami and The Playboy Mansion... and Please is one of my all-time favorites.
Oh yes. I could listen to Pop all the way through without wanting to skip a track, i'd happily listen to Miami and the Playboy Mansion, If You Wear Your Velvet Dress is an underrated favourite of mine.

Please is one of the greatest pieces of music ever produced (along with Lemon IMO).
Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #11
Refugee

I consider Playboy Mansion to be almost unforgivable (good concept, terrible execution). Aside from that, I'm also a big fan of Pop. All the cool kids are.
Slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I love Pop, but I think it suffers from two things, and when I say "suffer" it means minus these two things and it would be a classic up there with JT and AB.

It had a little bit too much of a bandwagon flavor(and some of it sounds very dated to me) and it lacked a little focus.

That's it...

I think NLOTH lacks a little focus as well... I actually think these albums have a bit in common in the sense that they really could have been classic albums.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:

You forgot:

Bringing someone in to use synthesizers to create atmosphere in the 80s was great and CLASSIC and =

Bringing someone in to use samples to create atmosphere in the 90s was TOTALLY DIFFERENT and =
Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I think NLOTH lacks a little focus as well... I actually think these albums have a bit in common in the sense that they really could have been classic albums.
Me too actually. In both cases, both kinda stumble at the finish line. They’re both “something” short of slamming it home, so to speak. For Pop, it’s in the finish. It is rough, poorly mixed and poorly edited at points. It's obvious. There’s no work needed on the songs or structure or lyrics or likely any individual part, it’s all in the mixing and editing. You can tell there’s a scramble there in that last stage. For NLOTH, it is to me those three middle songs. Not so much those as much as what could have been there, could have been what belted it out of the park.
Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Me too actually. In both cases, both kinda stumble at the finish line. They’re both “something” short of slamming it home, so to speak. For Pop, it’s in the finish. It is rough, poorly mixed and poorly edited at points. It's obvious. There’s no work needed on the songs or structure or lyrics or likely any individual part, it’s all in the mixing and editing. You can tell there’s a scramble there in that last stage. For NLOTH, it is to me those three middle songs. Not so much those as much as what could have been there, could have been what belted it out of the park.
I agree with this, with the exception that Miami would need different lyrics(I know it's suppose to be some fun postcard type of song but to be classic it would have needed something else) and I do think WUDM suffered slightly in the structure department, especially hearing some of the early jams where this lyric comes from...

I honestly think NLOTH could have been classic with Boots and Crazy, but maybe a slightly different version of Crazy(I think some of the mixes sound really interesting), and if SUC was replaced with the right song it could have it hit it out of the park like you said.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
People will tell you this was U2 at their most bandwagon jumping, what with all the electronica/techno influence. And people like me will say, "how is that any different than what they jumped on during the Achtung Baby Manchester rave scene? And yet that album is praised unanimously?!"

because Achtung Baby is the best album of the 1990s, and Pop isn't.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
because Achtung Baby is the best album of the 1990s, and Pop isn't.
They are both phenomenal albums. Anyway, i think you missed the point i was making about the bandwagon jumping.
ozeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I just think the "bandwagon jumping" on AB was different than Pop.

It didn't seem as obvious on AB, and it came off a lot more timeless with AB. It was effortless with AB, or so at least it sounded that way. It sounded a little forced with Pop.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:37 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

i feel like AB is a perfect example of finding inspiration and organically incorporating it into your music. the only part that doesn't work, now, nearly 20 years later, is the beginning of Wild Horses (for me ... that sounds forced, like, wow! look what our machine can do!).

Pop just isn't as good. it's clunky, the very opposite of AB which is smooth as silk.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Here's my ranking of the U2 90's albums: (Passengers excluded)

1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. Zooropa

I'm sure it would be the same on a few other lists.

Tags
pop