"pop"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bandwagon thought is interesting.

I think Achtung was smooth as silk - and it holds up so well over time.

Zooropa is just flat out interesting, has some angle to it - and some soul in a few places which smooth out the grit.

Pop has really solid structures, but the mixing/recording and approach are all wrong. Man, I think it would be interesting for them to re-record the whole thing 10 plus years later and see what arrangement they could come up with if there was ever spare time. Anyway...

Pop just lacked that certain zeal, and it didn't come naturally. I said it before, but Howie B. told the band, look...you should just be U2 at a certain point. Pop music, Chemical Bros., Oasis, Underworld, Prodigy were all the rage. So- U2 does the kitchen sink in terms of styles on this record. Its dis-jointed.

I do enjoy Pop, but its not smooth as butter. I want it to have more focus.

God Will Send his Angels had so much potential, the single version is much, much better I think. The ending is really abrupt on the record, as is Please...no ounce of drama like the live versions.

I hate to say it as its somewhat cliche, but U2 needed more of a soul influence, Lanois/Eno might have helped this. We will never know.

As for U2 going forward, let's hope SoA or whatever will have some of the risks Pop took, with great focus and warmer playing.

Velvet Dress is a great tune. It actually reminds me very much of a Danny Lanois Solo type song, something he would write. U2 need to find a small room and just play some warm notes, not overthink, that is when the hallmark idea's just come for them.

Yeah, I think you missed my point. The part of your post that I quoted said:

this is an album where I don't think it benefitted the songs. It either dominated the songs such as DYFL, or it felt slapped on like IGWSHA.

I respectfully disagree, because i think the arrangement of DYFL sounds great on the album, as well as the arrangements of MOFO, Discoteque, Gone, WUDM, Please, IYWTVD, Playboy Mansion...let's just say most of them. The only songs where the arrangements sound off to me are on Miami and IGWSHA.

While the arrangments suit me just fine, i think the final mastering of the album is what takes away from it, because the levels are a little too in your face, the bass is too loud, and the whole album is a little too "buzzing". So for me it's not the songs or the arrangements, it's just the levels. Technical stuff.

But beyond all that, we should address the pink elephant in the room, which is the fact that Bono's vocals were not up to snuff on that album. He sounds good most of the time, and even great on occasion, but while POP is one of my faves i do think that it is one of Bono's weaker vocal performances. Nothing to do with lyrics (they're some of his best) or the melodies (they're all great)...it's just the power of his voice.

Despite all these things, POP is still one of their greatest albums.

i hope when the "POP" remaster comes around, U2 doesn't completely murder it and try to re-write history. just give it a simple remaster please.

kthxbye2u!

i hope when the "POP" remaster comes around, U2 doesn't completely murder it and try to re-write history. just give it a simple remaster please.

kthxbye2u!

Same here, there's only minor things I'd like them to fix. Put the Best of mix of gone in(guitars, backing vox), Mofo needs the additional guitar Edge played live and one thing.

DO NOT MURDER THE BOOMCHAS LIKE ON THE BEST OF. :angry:

Same here, there's only minor things I'd like them to fix. Put the Best of mix of gone in(guitars, backing vox)
Really? That mix was awful. It stripped away the original song's otherworldly atmosphere and replaced it with ATYCLB-lite histrionics. I refuse to acknowledge its existence.

Really? That mix was awful. It stripped away the original song's otherworldly atmosphere and replaced it with ATYCLB-lite histrionics. I refuse to acknowledgment its existence.

Ah, well to me it sounded much closer to the live version. I didn't really feel the piano suited the studio version so I was glad to hear they changed that to how it was played live. And I really miss Edge's "dooooooooown"'s in the studio version as well.

:up: To each their own.

i will agree that the new mix of Discotheque on the Best Of is probably the worst thing U2 has ever done to me.

Gone sounded great in concert and great on the album. But it doesn't sound great in concert on the album. I hope that made perfect sense.

Pop is a great album.:love: And I actually love the fact that it's a bit rough and unfinished. It makes it even more special.

I would have preferred the Best Of mix of "Gone" if it didn't edit out the little drum fill before the bridge. Larry doesn't have too many moments like that why try and hide it? But I do like having The Edge's backing vocals in there. It's a toss up for me. The new mixes of Discotheque and Staring At The Sun were bad though, no question there.

i consider the "new mix" of Gone as good as the original. it all depends on the mood for me.

While not as good as AB, Zooropa or JT, Pop is still a fantastic album.

Has anyone ever heard anything like Mofo? I haven't, it's still completely fresh 12 yrs later.

Love the manic drum machine intro and the pulsing keyboard bassline that runs through the song. Edge's piercing guitarwork and Bono's vocals (especially on the bridge) also standout.

And Discotheque is amazing (especially the original mix), great intro and outro, one of Edge's best ever riffs. The amount of techno sounds that Edge can create with his guitar, while others would have to resort to synth is testament to his genius.
I don't mind the new mix of Discotheque - that brilliant riff is much more prominent, but I like the electro textures and intro of the album version better

Do You Feel Loved is another impressive dance/rock hybrid, fantastic groove, great lyrics with Bono absolutely nailing the delivery.

I love the watery guitar of Staring at the Sun and IFGWSHA (esp. the single edit) is a solid U2 ballad given a late 90s twist (love the Christmassy guitar riff, the beeping noise in the bridge and the drum crash in the outro).

Please is better live than on the album and Miami, Last Night On Earth and Playboy Mansion are not quite the songs they could be had the band had more time, but they're all interesting. Gone was also a bit weak on the album, but the Best of 1990-2000 remix fixes this.

Velvet Dress would have also benefited from more time in the studio to nail the execution but the core song is sublime and makes for some excellent balladeering as the Jools Holland version demonstrates (if anyone wants it email me at u2links@hotmail.com and download the "Rare Tracks" link in the autoreply).

Wake Up Dead Man is haunting, very Radiohead-y (even bleaker than songs like Street Spirit) and makes for an excellent closer in the vein of Love is Blindness.

If they weren't pushed for time for the impending tour and got to finish the album, Pop could have very well been their third masterpiece alongside JT and AB.

Pop is good, but by far their most compromised/poorly-executed-in-studio album. As a set of studio tracks, it pales in comparison to Rattle & Hum's tracks, let alone to Joshua Tree's or Achtung Baby's.

Problems are mainly down to the mixes and the production. It's hard to enjoy music if it gives you a headache due to poor mixing.

I refute any suggestion that it could have been a masterpiece. Certainly, "Discotheque" had one of Edge's greatest-riffs, but the chorus doesn't take off the way the mightiest U2 songs do. "Please" is the best song to emerge from those sessions, and indeed it became one of their greatest, but moreso live than on the record (or even the single, although that's an improvement). I do think "If God Will Send his Angels" was close to a home run, but there's just something missing.

The rest of the album seems to me to be "standard average-to-great U2 anthems" ('Staring at the Sun', 'Gone', 'Last Night on Earth') or semi-successful experiments in recording/arrangements ('Mofo', 'Miami', 'Wake Up Dead Man').

Though the songs on Pop aren't any worse (and are arguably better) than Zooropa or ALTYCLB, it somehow fails to add up to more than the sum of its parts, as those albums do. This, combined with the fact that there are so many superior later mixes or live renditions, makes the original album something that I rarely put on.

(I do prefer the Best of "Discotheque" mix. Even though they turned it into an Oasis song, it finally highlights the strength of the composition -- ie., the guitar riff -- and the mix is strong and clean, not muddled and headache-inducing, as on the album.)

I love Pop. I sometimes find it very strange how it's hailed as the greatest U2 album round these parts as if people are TRYING to go against the flow :wink: but yeah it's a great album. Some of the songs are a bit weak where the mixing and so on's concerned which is obvious because when you hear Mofo [any performance] and Last Night On Earth [from Mexico City] they're just mindblowing!

Do You Feel Loved? however is fantastic just the way it is. Love that song, wish it got more attention, it's just really UN-U2 to me. it was earlier this year actually I listened to Pop for the first time in AGES and Do You Feel Loved just leapt out as a stand-out for the first time. Always liked it but now it's one of my favourites.

plus, Discotheque should be kept the same way it is structurally. I don't like the way they cut out the guitar riff in the middle-8 after the first "looking for the one..." section. I LOVE that section and the riff gives me the chills before going back to the original guitar riff.

the structure's fine, fantastic even. The production however is pretty bad. Also, putting in a thumping 4-on-the-floor drumbeat on the vertigo tour was amazing, the drumbeat it needed all along.

too many avarage songs
and If God ... and Playboy Mansion must be the 2 worst executed U2 songs that exist

where it's great it is great though

POP F-cking rules! Not as great as Achtung Baby but when I bought POP and took it home the first day it was released before we could even hear leaks on the net I was like holy FUCKING shit!!! What the hell is this???? But then it grew into a monster album for me! These are the types of albums I love, the ones I don't get at first but then grow on you!! This is U2 at its most experimental and daring! I don't think we will see them like this again BUT I am sure glad I was able to be a fan back then! BTW I like ATYCLB and love HTDAAB and NLOTH But POP is a whole other species!!

Interferencers like Pop? Shit. I wonder if there's something in those other 85,000 Pop appreciation threads that I missed.

All arguments against Pop fail, cos simply:

Discotheque is teh shiz, it's what stuff like GOYB futilely hopes to be when it grows up

Interesting and well discussed thread on Pop for a change :)

I agree with the whole focus argument, particularly comparing NLOTH with Pop, though back in 1987 Im sure there'd have been people who thought the second half of the Joshua Tree sounded incomplete (me for one).

Maybe U2 need to stop promising that they've written their greatest album ever, as they have for the last three, then wonder why people disagree.

I suspect they have a lot of distractions these days, Maybe they need to go and lock themselves in a room in Berlin for a few months.

So I was watching some of the POPMart videos on YouTube last night and fuck did Bono sound bad. I mean, I knew his voice had a very rough patch there, but man it was bad. From now on when I hear 2000 Bono sing I will appreciate it even more.

let me take a different view on pop. Sometimes the context in which you hear a song can affect your opinion. If you were to hear a song from pop, on say, a college radio station that played non commercial music, or a radio show that goes way outside the box in terms of playing "no hits" music,deep album cuts, things of that nature, pop is gonna sound and cool and intriguing. If you hear pop played on regular run of the mill,top 40,classic rock,mainstream radio, its not gonna really work. And you proly gonna think it stinks.

I will always love POP partly because that was the era when I went from being a huge U2 fan to being an over-the-top uber-fan. And what did it for me were the leaked clips of WUDM and Discotheque on the internet. I just couldn't get enough, especially of WUDM. POP was also the first album I bought on the day of release and PopMart was my first live U2 experience. I remember being at home sick and watching the Holy Joe performance from KMart, and buying the vinyl version in Dublin two weeks after release. :heart:

All that being said, I think it would have been a better album if the band could have finished it properly. The live versions and single mixes are testament to that. And galeongirl is right. Adam, fresh off his lessons with Patrick Pfeiffer, became a lead bass player and not just an eighth note thumper. Viva la POP!

POP = AMAZING !!!

Underestimated by the band! One of the few disappointments of this 360 tour is that no pop songs were played...

The guys should read this forummore often

POP
is a slap into the face of all the people who like their mediocre popmusic after the socalled millenium.
i love POP!!!
U2: best from eightythree to ninetyseven!

Back
Top Bottom