Please (Album) Vs. Please (Single)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropop40

Refugee
Interference is called Interference because it int
Album. But when they played it live it was better than either album or single.

It's another case where the song evolved live, to something better than the album, but then when they went to put together the single, or Best Of mix, they changed something key about it beyond that more natural evolution.

The strings suck - they try to make the song overly grand or dramatic. It's not meant to be that way. Album version over single version for me, but live is definitely best.

The single is for me the final version. The album version is like a very promising demo and has a nice spontaneous feel.

Live.
The single is too clean for my liking. The album version has a rawness that I love but it also misses the solo. The live version is the perfect combination of both.

Single for sure.

But all live performances of Please are literally amazing.

IMO, Please is their best non-Streets LIVE song

Album, unless I can vote for the live version.

They both have cool drums though.

Again, crazy, all of you. The single is an attempt to take an interesting song and make it more "U2-y," like a lot of the Pop single remixes/re-records.

Album version.
I think the album version showcases what Adam and Larry had learned/trained at/evolved to as a rhythm section over the years. Someone mentioned the bass being out of key, but I thoroughly enjoy the bass lines on the POP version. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm no musician), but isn't the time signature 5/4 or something unusual in pop-rock circles? Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance or my age here, but it all sounds "groovy" to me. I love Bono's vocal on the album as well; I think he sounds flat on the single. As others have mentioned, the single was a way to make the song more U2ey and thus easier for radio consumption. IMHO, the drumming on the single was a way to tie the song back to Sunday, Bloody Sunday. And as Sunday and Please are both about Ireland and its troubles, that makes sense. I simply prefer the album version, the way each instrument and vocal weaves amongst one another to create a near perfect song. And it's my favorite tune on POP. Agree with others, the live versions are amazing.
p.s. I find the strings on the single pretty lame.

that's really tough. Depends on the day for me. Today it's the album version. I love the squelches, and I like the drums more.

THEY NEED TO PLAY THIS SONG LIVE!!!

Album version.

Absolutely. I love the album version, dislike most everything about the single version. Strangely, in my early years on the forum, EVERYONE here thought the single version was complete crap. Strange to see so many people liking it now.

Album. It's an inherently unsettling song, and the single version misses the point. Too melodramatic.

Great live song, but that wasn't one of the two options.

Back
Top Bottom