Petition against u2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamietheEdgefan

Refugee
The Fanclub is a Cannibal - u2.com, fans need more - Petition Spot

Greetings from the @u2 forums, where we've decided to push for the improvement of u2.com, and its treatment of fans. We're aiming to get lots of signatures for the petition above, and we'd be grateful if everyone here who supports this cause signs/spreads the word about it.

The link explains everything about what we're aiming for and why. Signing it is much appreciated :wave:

Wow damn straight! I really hope this actually gets somewhere but I fear that it may fall on deaf ears :(

They've been taking our money for far too long!

Well, to be fair, we've been giving them our money. ;)

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with requesting better service and/or value for things you're paying for.

I hate to be blunt but most of this complaint is poorly thought out and misguided. I understand the feeling of being "cheated" if you compare the experience to one or two bands(but those memberships have their issues too), but you should have stuck to the basics.

If you had issues with customer service or the presales you should have made that your focus.

Saying Duals has "crossed the line" is just selfish sounding and it shows a lack of context. U2 has never released something completely "sacred" through their fanclub.

I'm not saying this petition is completely misguided(but I've never had any issues with presales or customer service) but it's focus is all wrong. :shrug:

JMO

I hate to be blunt but most of this complaint is poorly thought out and misguided. I understand the feeling of being "cheated" if you compare the experience to one or two bands(but those memberships have their issues too), but you should have stuck to the basics.

Personally, I disagree with BVS. I like the fact that this petition has brought up many points and gripes about the u2.com membership. If you stick to just the basics you won't get all of your points across. Let U2.com take the time to examine all of this information.

Point number 3 seems a little out of place. The CD that is given out is just an afterthought.

But I think the problems listed in #1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are quite valid.

Good on you folks.

Personally, I disagree with BVS. I like the fact that this petition has brought up many points and gripes about the u2.com membership. If you stick to just the basics you won't get all of your points across. Let U2.com take the time to examine all of this information.

Point number 3 seems a little out of place. The CD that is given out is just an afterthought.

Maybe. And everyone's opinion of the quality of those releases is also different. Much of Medium Rare and Remastered had never been available on CD before (and I really like the Artifical Horizon compilation, even though that one had only 3 tracks or so that were previously unreleased). But yeah, with apparently four album tracks on Duals it isn't one of their strongest releases.

And I would also say that the argument about the costs is presented not completely (correct). Re-subscribing to U2.com is $40. A subscription to the Pearl Jam fanclub (taking the option of having a hard-copy Christmas single that is 6 months late) is $50 for international subscribers. So Pearl Jam's fanclub is more expensive than U2's and not the other way around (the subscription to U2.com has the same cost irrespective where you live, instead of making a distinction between US and non-US members).

But I can find myself in some other points (mainly #1 and #5), so I might sign the petition...

Yeah, the best kind of petition would be for people to just stop renewing en masse, but considering the numbers the fan club must have (I've never seen figures, but considering how huge U2 is around the world, I can only imagine it's a lot), I can't imagine that would have much impact.

Eh, I still see nothing wrong with piping up to say "You can do better than this."

I'm not sure I agree with any of the points they're raising, to be honest. Most are based on isolated events blown out of proportion and some are just downright silly and petty imo.

We pay $20 for an unofficial fan site that is little more than a community to gather and converse. Paying $40 for an official site that includes presale codes (that DO work), fan club CD and content (and yes, there is content) seems fairly proportionate to me.

I don't expect the world out of U2.com, it's a website like any other run by imperfect people. It gives me what I want for the most part, so while I agree that raising customer service issues has value, a formal public petition process seems disproportionate so I won't be signing.

Signed it. For the cost of the subscription and size of the band, they should be doing more. A soundboard recording here and there along with the occasional contest isn't too much to ask.

Agreed. It makes a ton of cash and is just fluff. I sign up for pre-sale codes only....You guys do know that if you made a petition of support for the website proclaiming your loyalty to it, BVS would have bashed that too. Just takes what you say repeats it back to you with a "So you are saying" and ends it with a question mark. Clicks "post" and the next 3 hot pockets are probably ready before his next contradiction is fully conjured. I did not know that opinions could be wrong. I thought they were just opinions.....

online petitions always make me giggle. i had a less than stellar dinner at Chile's the other night. i can't believe they stole my money like that. i may start my own petition against them. bunch of thieves....

Agreed. It makes a ton of cash and is just fluff. I sign up for pre-sale codes only....You guys do know that if you made a petition of support for the website proclaiming your loyalty to it, BVS would have bashed that too. Just takes what you say repeats it back to you with a "So you are saying" and ends it with a question mark. Clicks "post" and the next 3 hot pockets are probably ready before his next contradiction is fully conjured. I did not know that opinions could be wrong. I thought they were just opinions.....

No, no and no...

I didn't bash anything, maybe you should re-read.

No question marks.

And I don't eat hot pockets.

Three strikes, no soup for you.

I'm not sure I agree with any of the points they're raising, to be honest. Most are based on isolated events blown out of proportion and some are just downright silly and petty imo.

We pay $20 for an unofficial fan site that is little more than a community to gather and converse. Paying $40 for an official site that includes presale codes (that DO work), fan club CD and content (and yes, there is content) seems fairly proportionate to me.

I don't expect the world out of U2.com, it's a website like any other run by imperfect people. It gives me what I want for the most part, so while I agree that raising customer service issues has value, a formal public petition process seems disproportionate so I won't be signing.

I have to agree with Gvox.

I've not had any issues with the website, despite several moves. Some items did take a bit longer to arrive. And once, I wasn't sure if I'd get tickets in time for my trip to Ireland. But in reality, all worked out perfectly.

When the pre-sale code gave me crappy seats for a Chicago show, I was whisked away to a fantastic seat with a great view. And while I don't always get what I hope (like GA tickets to past shows), I have had good service.

I'm sorry that others have had poor service and I understand the frustrations. But some of the points seem a bit too specific. And asking for unreleased material may be a bit much. U2 controls their work very closely. As much as they may want to release some tracks, they may feel the quality just doesn't represent them.

the solution would be not to give us more, just lower the price. our expectations would not be high and complaints would be fewer.

:shifty:

$40 is generally right in the price point range that the market bears for membership to an internet site that delivers content, free mailings and advance ticketing privileges...why should U2's be any different?

$40 is generally right in the price point range that the market bears for membership to an internet site that delivers content, free mailings and advance ticketing privileges...why should U2's be any different?

Pearl Jam's fan club costs $20 in the US, $25 elsewhere, and REM's costs only $12... and the former offers a vinyl with songs unavailable elsewhere, as well as an exclusive magazine, and members only contests/giveaways... and apparently, you can download an official bootleg of a show of your choice (in addition to the stuff u2.com offers, like fan merchandise and pre-sale tickets). So these fan clubs just offer more, for less money.

That article cites PJ's site being $40. Someone else in here mentioned it was actually $50 for newcomers. Where's Mel my favorite PJ expert I'm sure she knows for sure ;)

At any rate let's assume that everyone's wrong so far and PJ's is $30 for returning members. U2's for returning members is...$32 I think?

Back
Top Bottom