Petition against u2.com - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #61
Mirror Ball Man 2.0

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Ask and you will be heard!

U2.com Subscribers Information - March 2011 - Announcements and News - Free Forum - U2 Community - Message Board

U2.com Subscribers Information - March 2011

We see that some fans are unhappy with the service at U2.com, we take the point.

Some issues raised hit hard, particularly about 'Duals' because a lot of work went into it. And it's fair to say that if you've been following the band continually since the very early days, you might have collected these tracks, but for everyone else, there's some great music here and we're glad to hear you're looking forward to receiving the CD.

Also, we'd like to clarify that subscribers are always first in line for tickets and our allocation is reserved to ensure we get the widest choice in a venue. We are sometimes beaten to the draw with news stories - that's because we have no choice but to only run confirmed information. We are the official word.

If we get a tour date or set list track wrong or mislabel a lithograph - genuine mistakes - we'll check and correct it.

But it's not satisfactory that U2 fans feel aggrieved. So we're going to investigate all of your concerns, including customer service.

We are always looking to improve the U2.com experience and the service we offer to subscribers as our recent live webcast from Cape Town shows. Thanks for your great response to that and thanks for raising these issues.

The U2.com Team

U2BROTHR's JOSHUA TREE TOUR
Vancouver Toronto Boston Buffalo
U2BROTHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Yeah, that was already posted on page 3.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #63
War Child

Local Time: 04:18 PM
I seem to be in the minority- U2.com membership does everything I need of it- pre-sale ticket chances. That's the one and only reason why I'm a member- the presales for 360 tour were the easiest I've ever down for virtually anyone. and god forbid they ever do another arena in Europe then it will be especially useful

The cd is a bonus for me- I don't own everything that U2 have ever released and Medium and Duals both contain tracks I've never heard

Compared to say Duran Duran's pay web site this is much better run- at best with them you'll get 12-18 hours warning of a pre-sale- and in some cases tour dates etc are advertised everywhere but their website
Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Really?
I'm sure getting the rights from all the other artists to deliever it for free did take a lot of work.

There's a lot of things people don't think about in the day and age of the internet. This is why I thought the Duals argument seemed like entitled whining. Not eveyone has been collecting since the 90's or downloads illegally.

This was not aimed at you Cori.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #65
The Fly

Fair play, I guess, for U2.com at least responding initially to the petition. But I find a very disturbing subtext in the comments, particularly re: Duals (which was such a joke and the final straw for me and many others). It's the 'for everybody else' comment. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but it's as if they're saying they're no longer really positioning the membership or its benefits for the band's most devoted and loyal fans. That you can functionally age out of being a U2.com member or actually own too much of their music. Tough to swallow....
Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #66
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2BROTHR View Post
Ask and you will be heard!

[url=http://community.u2.com/topic/21631] but for everyone else, there's some great music here and we're glad to hear you're looking forward to receiving the CD.
Wait what? Who is looking forward to this?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #67
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisher99 View Post
Fair play, I guess, for U2.com at least responding initially to the petition. But I find a very disturbing subtext in the comments, particularly re: Duals (which was such a joke and the final straw for me and many others). It's the 'for everybody else' comment. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but it's as if they're saying they're no longer really positioning the membership or its benefits for the band's most devoted and loyal fans. That you can functionally age out of being a U2.com member or actually own too much of their music. Tough to swallow....
You don't think there are diehards that started following this band in the 2000s, you don't think there are diehard fans that don't illegally download, you don't think there are diehards that maybe can't dig up or afford old Pop singles, etc...

I find it hard to swallow that some U2 fans are this closed off to themselves.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #68
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You don't think there are diehards that started following this band in the 2000s, you don't think there are diehard fans that don't illegally download, you don't think there are diehards that maybe can't dig up or afford old Pop singles, etc...

I find it hard to swallow that some U2 fans are this closed off to themselves.
Even if some of the songs are unavailable, many of them are already on u2 albums, or readily available on itunes. If a u2 fan is willing to pay $50 for membership, it's likely that they're enthusiastic enough to already have most of these tracks.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #69
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamietheEdgefan View Post
Even if some of the songs are unavailable, many of them are already on u2 albums, or readily available on itunes. If a u2 fan is willing to pay $50 for membership, it's likely that they're enthusiastic enough to already have most of these tracks.
You're a fairly new fan, how and where did you get a proper SBS with Jay-Z, Stuck with Mick, Ballad of Ronnie Drew, Stranded, I'm Not Your Baby, or U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #70
Refugee

Quote:
You're a fairly new fan, how and where did you get a proper SBS with Jay-Z, Stuck with Mick, Ballad of Ronnie Drew, Stranded, I'm Not Your Baby, or U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir?
I didn't say i have those (not official ones anyway). But i do have the wanderer, miss sarajevo, One with MJB, Slow dancing, Falling at your feet, Stranded, Drunk chicken.
I'm sure many fans will be pleased to have the other, unavailable songs on cd, but the fact is that many are unhappy with the fact that most of these songs are already available on itunes, or u2 albums.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I'm sure getting the rights from all the other artists to deliever it for free did take a lot of work.
Yeah, of course. I was thinking more along the lines of actually coming up with the idea and tracklist.

There's work involved with any of the releases. This one just felt lazy considering how many of the tracks were already commercially available.

But whatever. I'll still be happy to have it, because there are tracks I don't have on CD.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #72
Gunslinger

Even though Duals is clearly the suckiest U2 fanclub cd to date, I need 3-4 of these tracks on CD. Funny, there was a time back in the day (10+ years?) when subscribing to a U2 fanclub meant no cds or recordings of any sort.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamietheEdgefan View Post
I didn't say i have those (not official ones anyway). But i do have the wanderer, miss sarajevo, One with MJB, Slow dancing, Falling at your feet, Stranded, Drunk chicken.
I'm sure many fans will be pleased to have the other, unavailable songs on cd, but the fact is that many are unhappy with the fact that most of these songs are already available on itunes, or u2 albums.
Yet you bring up the PJ fan club where you only get maybe one song that wasn't available per year. I just really think you missed the big picture with this argument.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #74
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Can anyone please tell me why people are all up in arms about the Duals disc, when they seemed to be perfectly happy with getting what amounts to nothing more than audio rips of official dvds two years in a row? Because I don't get it, that makes no sense to me at all.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

My line of thinking with that is that it's something not previously available on CD. Yeah, I could rip it and throw it on some CDRs, but that's not the same to me.

Not like Miss Sarajevo. Or When Love Comes to Town. Or The Wanderer. (i.e., tracks that have been available on multiple CD releases)