People that don't know when somebody covered a U2 original track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's even harder being a Springsteen fan.

"Blinded By The Light" is Springsteen's song, and it's much better than Mannfred Mann's version. But the Mann version is much more well known.

"Because The Night" was written by Springsteen. But Patti Smith recorded a version and people don't seem to understand the concept of one popular artist writing a song for another.

One of the best U2 performances ever is this one.....better then the Johnny version in my opinion anyway.....They really knocked it out of the park.

YouTube - U2 - The Wanderer (RARE Live)

But again of course people think Johnny Cash wrote the song....I love this performance though truely a great one.

What people think Johnny Cash wrote "The Wanderer"? What people other than U2 fans really know the song?

It's even harder being a Springsteen fan.

"Blinded By The Light" is Springsteen's song, and it's much better than Mannfred Mann's version. But the Mann version is much more well known.

"Because The Night" was written by Springsteen. But Patti Smith recorded a version and people don't seem to understand the concept of one popular artist writing a song for another.

Bruce never released his studio version of Because The Night. The Patti Smith version was written by both him and her in the sense that she took it and re-wrote it from a female perspective. He'd go on to perform his original version live and then release it on a live album later though. I think that's why it's always going to be associated with her more than him.

The Mannfred Mann version of Blinded By The Light is pretty bad, I agree with you. Such a shame it's going to be always associated with him.

The only good example of a cover song being better than the original is Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

The most annoying thing is when people think Stuck in the Middle was written by Bob Dylan.

Don't forget the 10,000 Maniacs version of the Patti Smith version of "Because the Night." I'd say there's a good chunk of the population who are aware of that one and have no idea of the Patti Smith connection much less the Springsteen connection.

A lot of people don't realize that I wrote the bulk of the Beatles material in the '60s. That's always angered me.

That's because you only lent your soul to Satan. The fame only works if you sell him your soul.

Although a good percentage of the people in here probably think Dancing Barefoot was written by U2. It does go both ways no doubt about that.

I don't know how much you can really be annoyed by this kind of thing though, you know? I mean, when Wayne's World made "Bohemian Rhapsody" a second-time-around hit song, my little brother was stunned to learn the song had originally come out in the 1970s.

Is it really their fault they don't know a lot of details about a song they hear? It's not like you hear a song on the radio and the DJ tells you who wrote it. And it's not like everyone runs to the internet to Google a song when they hear it to find out more about it.

All you can do is give them the scoop, and then they know. :shrug:

In the digital age where music only exists electronically I guess it's hard for people to do what we were so easily able to do way-back-when... Actually read the song writing credits in the lyrical booklets that came with our CDs, Tapes, Records, etc.

The only good example of a cover song being better than the original is Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

I think there's more examples than that. Joe Cocker has to be the most adept musician at covering famous songs, his version of WALHFMF is superior to Ringo's.

And how about Scooter's cover of the Logical Song?

This is a very good example, but there are more.
Imo, Amy Winehouse version of Valery (original from the Zutons) is also a good example. Although I prefer the Zutons live version over hers (for several reasons). But thats only my opinion of course

With U2 videos, there are mostly positive comments about U2 on You Tube that really come from fans. Outside the U2 fan scene, you'll meet A LOT of negativity about the band.

The world outside is a very dark and cold place. :sad:

And yet it's still a bitch to get tickets. :angry:

:lmao: :heart:

I'm not going to go all elitist and snobby, like, "Oh my gosh, how could you NOT know that is a U2 song??" There have already been songs others have done that I didn't know were covers. :shrug:

Husker Du's version of Eight Miles High is way, way better than the Byrd's one.

And, uh, I actually like Joe Cocker's version of WALHFMF.

I can't help but to think of the Wonders Years TV show intro every time I hear Joe Cocker's cover of that Beatles song.

Back
Top Bottom