Passengers vs. Wah Wah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donkeytimes

The Fly
Pardon me for bringing this up, maybe its been discussed before.

Has anyone even given thought or held a discussion on U2/Eno: Passengers and the Eno/James "Wah Wah" album.

Both are very good rock band meets ambient producer. Both were done in the mid 1990's.

I always get the feeling James were Eno chance to really explore and hone on ideas in which he could incorporate into U2. For example, Wah Wah was done prior to Passengers. A testing ground if you will.

Just curious, both bands are great mind you. I know James fans (hard-core) often don't care for U2 people. But, whatever. Similar big sounds.

Yes... ineteresting theory. Wah Wah is actually like a big jam session with songs being 'just played'.
I guess you could say, even if it wasn't a concious decision by Eno, that Wah Wah influenced Passengers indeed.

Thanks for the reply Heathcliff. Yes, I agree. Wah Wah has some just amazing moments, if U2 fans haven't tried it they should ...

James seem to thrive on what comes out of them in the moment, which I think U2 do as well. U2 just do not want to release those Jam sessions "until the plane crashes..." so to speak.

Wah Wah is a great Eno exercise that isn't often talked about.

Well, if you ask me, U2 is like a [insert really big number] times better than James. And despite the fact that I know most of their discography, I don't know if they tinker too much with their songs before releasing them.
But forgetting about comparisions... yeah, and not only Wah Wah... James itself isn't often talked about. Given the quality of their music, they should get more attention. Hey Ma was one of the best albums released last year. And all their Eno produced stuff, especially Millionaires (which is brillant), is great or very good at least. I recommend them to any person looking for some great music.

Well said Heathcliff...

I would always side with U2 as the better "band." James def. pump out more b-sides, and take more risks than U2, which is maybe why they lack the success since they do not stick to what often works.

But aside from the classic comparison conversations we could have - needless to say both bands are from the Eno school, and do rather well.

I don't think enough people in here know James let alone this album, especially in the states.

Both are albums that only die hards would buy. Passengers has more of a finished song feel where Wah Wah has some parts that are just little thoughts... Both very enjoyable, but I can't listen to either one all the through.

I wouldn't say James takes more risks, not at all... In fact I think if they would have taken more they could have made it in the states in the 90's. What do you think is so risky about their career?

I don't think enough people in here know James let alone this album, especially in the states.

Both are albums that only die hards would buy. Passengers has more of a finished song feel where Wah Wah has some parts that are just little thoughts... Both very enjoyable, but I can't listen to either one all the through.

I wouldn't say James takes more risks, not at all... In fact I think if they would have taken more they could have made it in the states in the 90's. What do you think is so risky about their career?

Would agree. I am certainly aware of James, as they were big in the UK and Ireland in the 90's, but I had never heard of this album. I also agree with you that James have not had a particularly risktaking career. They mainly released chart friendly MOR albums, with the odd undeniably great single (Sit Down, Born of Frustation).

James are my second fave music act! U2 is first. Good to see em get a mention on here. I would have to say tho....the Passangers release has a more finished feel to it, you feel like you are listening to a movie soundtrack, where as with Wah Wah, it feels simmilar to the AB sessions. I think Enos best album with James is "Laid", followed by "Pleased To Meet You":drool:

James are my second fave music act! U2 is first. Good to see em get a mention on here. I would have to say tho....the Passangers release has a more finished feel to it, you feel like you are listening to a movie soundtrack, where as with Wah Wah, it feels simmilar to the AB sessions. I think Enos best album with James is "Laid", followed by "Pleased To Meet You":drool:

I'd go along with that I'm a big James fan and a big fan of Wah Wah, however Passengers is one of my top 5 favourite U2 albums so it clearly beats Wah Wah. Both very good albums.

Hello All -

I just think James do more interesting b-sides, I love U2 more DON'T Get Me Wrong. But, I think any U2 fan is really missing out if they do not explore some of the more rare James stuff, as the Eno connection is so deep with both bands.

I agree, James have some fairly MOR stuff like "Sit Down" and "She's a Star" but that isn't much different than some of the U2 "Sweetest Thing" etc...

Anyway, I love both Passengers and Wah Wah, both are from the same era.

Again, try and locate James bsides, many are breathtaking - a la "Walk to the Water" U2.

Back
Top Bottom