Original Names for Some U2 Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmart Shopper

War Child
Here is a list of some original song titles that U2 was going to use for some of their songs before they chose the final titles.I will go from POP and up.Not every track will be presented because I am only going by what I have read online or in U2 by U2 and dont know every early title.If Anyone has any others please feel free to mention them in your posts.

POP:Mofo-Oedipussy and Mother
Last Night On Earth-Sparky Left The Planet
Gone-Up and Suit of Lights
Miami-Same City Mania and Super City Mania
Playboy Mansion-Hymn to Mr.Universe and Hymn to the Universe
IYWTVD-Velvet Dress
Please-Get Up Off Your Knees

ATYCLB:Beautiful Day-Always
Elevation-Bulldozer
Wild Honey-Flower Child

HTDAAB:Vertigo-Full Metal Jacket,Native Son,Hola,Shark Soup
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own-Tough
Original of the Species-Unique
Fast Cars-Xanax and Wine

NLOTH:IGCIIDGCT-Crazy Tonight(should have stuck with this)
Get On Your Boots-Sexy Boots
Stand Up Comedy-For Your Love and Stand Up
Fez=Being Born-Chromium Chords and Tripoli
White As Snow-Winter
Breathe-Walk Out Into the Streets

I think I posted this by mistake in the wrong forum.Sorry folks.:doh:

White As Snow-Winter

Winter and White as Snow are apparently different songs. Winter appears on LINEAR

Tripoli and FEZ-Being Born MIGHT be the same song, but we don't know that yet. This is only conjecture at this point. Wait a bit and see what's on LINEAR. There will apparently be 14 songs.

Here is a list of some original song titles that U2 was going to use for some of their songs before they chose the final titles.I will go from POP and up.Not every track will be presented because I am only going by what I have read online or in U2 by U2 and dont know every early title.If Anyone has any others please feel free to mention them in your posts.

POP:Mofo-Oedipussy and Mother
Last Night On Earth-Sparky Left The Planet
Gone-Up and Suit of Lights
Miami-Same City Mania and Super City Mania
Playboy Mansion-Hymn to Mr.Universe and Hymn to the Universe
IYWTVD-Velvet Dress
Please-Get Up Off Your Knees

ATYCLB:Beautiful Day-Always
Elevation-Bulldozer
Wild Honey-Flower Child

HTDAAB:Vertigo-Full Metal Jacket,Native Son,Hola,Shark Soup
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own-Tough
Original of the Species-Unique
Fast Cars-Xanax and Wine

White As Snow-Winter
Breathe-Walk Out Into the Streets

I think I posted this by mistake in the wrong forum.Sorry folks.:doh:

Beautiful Day- Jubilee/Stir My Soul

Elevation and Bulldozer are different songs, 100%.

COBL-Firefly, Scott Walker, (probably) Skyhawk

I don't know where you got Hola for Vertigo, I've never heard that one and several other on this list...we don't know if Tripoli and Fez are the same song and we know for sure Winter and White as Snow are different songs, so I am going to have to agree with Axver about this list, questionable.

Oh, Walk On-Home (actually merged with another song)
LAPOE-Night Shift
When I Look At The World was called something else as well.
I'm going from memory so, I'll have to think...

iirc, wasn't there a three track preview cd of pop released at some point? not sure on the number of songs, but i remember super city mania being on there. i just recall seeing a photo of the cd.

I apologize for being so misinformed in my posts.Some of the titles I got from U2 by U2,but some others I got from somewhere online I think U2 Station so it was my mistake to believe someone else who listed these on a site.:doh:With that being said though some of the other titles I believe should have been kept.

Beautiful Day- Jubilee/Stir My Soul

Elevation and Bulldozer are different songs, 100%.

COBL-Firefly, Scott Walker, (probably) Skyhawk

I don't know where you got Hola for Vertigo, I've never heard that one and several other on this list...we don't know if Tripoli and Fez are the same song and we know for sure Winter and White as Snow are different songs, so I am going to have to agree with Axver about this list, questionable.

Oh, Walk On-Home (actually merged with another song)
LAPOE-Night Shift
When I Look At The World was called something else as well.
I'm going from memory so, I'll have to think...

Hola was from U2 by U2.There was a version of Vertigo in spanish hence the Uno Dos Tres Catorce reference.

I think "Please" should have been called "Get Up Off Your Knees" -- "Please" is a slightly lame title (amazing song, though). "Original of the Species" is also really lame; I'm not sure if "Unique" would be better or worse. . .

"Native Son" and "Always" are completely different sets of lyrics, so they're different songs that require different titles.

I think Bono needs to be restricted to "maximum 5 words" or something with titles. What's up with All That You Can't Leave Behind, "Stuck in Moment you Can't Get Out Of", How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and now we have the absurdly named "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight". . . Larry needs to slap some sense into him.

This is quite incorrect. And, I read U2 by U2, and Vertigo was never Hola. The Spanish came from the lyrics of Shark Soup.

Lady with the Spinning Head, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), The Fly

Not really. "Lady..." is a distinctly different song. Parts of it spawned "Until the End of the World" and "The Fly" (not sure about 'Ultraviolet' -- I think Edge says that in an interview, but I'm sure he's mistaken and meant 'Until the End of the World'). However, it's not like they're the same, interchangeable song -- not even close.

Not really. "Lady..." is a distinctly different song. Parts of it spawned "Until the End of the World" and "The Fly" (not sure about 'Ultraviolet' -- I think Edge says that in an interview, but I'm sure he's mistaken and meant 'Until the End of the World'). However, it's not like they're the same, interchangeable song -- not even close.

Oh yeah, I forgot about UTEOTW...

re:WUDM, I'm not referring to the POP version... in the Axtung Beibi Salome Outtakes, at least according to Interference.com lyrics database (when it was available), the song some may know as Take You Down (which was the chorus refrain) was also supposedly known as Wake Up Dead Man as far back as 1990, I believe. I think there is also a reference to that song in Flannagan's book... so the title has been around long before POP.

This is quite incorrect. And, I read U2 by U2, and Vertigo was never Hola. The Spanish came from the lyrics of Shark Soup.

Your right my bad.Not in U2 by U2.I read that somewhere else on a website.I am a DieHard Eagles fan.Are You?Phillyfan 26.Oh yea and BTW I am also a DieHard Dodgers Fan and we will have our revenge on the Phillies!LOL.

Fez and Tripoli are two totally different songs.

If you want to hear a bit of Tripoli, watch Here Is What Is, which features Bono strumming an electric guitar by himself and singing part of the song.

Oedipussy and Mother
Sparky Left The Planet
Up and Suit of Lights
Same City Mania and Super City Mania
Hymn to Mr.Universe and Hymn to the Universe
Velvet Dress
Get Up Off Your Knees

Bulldozer
Flower Child

Full Metal Jacket,Native Son,Hola,Shark Soup
Tough
Unique

You guys should be thankful for they changing those names. And thank God they changed Crazy Tonight's title

Stay was originally called "Sinatra", was it not? I think I read that in U2 at the End of the World. Great book.

Haha, Sparky Left the Planet. That's an awesome name.

Also, Winter and White as Snow are definitely 2 different songs, aren't they?

Stay was originally called "Sinatra", was it not? I think I read that in U2 at the End of the World. Great book.

Yep.

And in an interview today, Bono mentioned that Magnificent was once titled French Disco.

Back
Top Bottom