Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The lyrics of Sometimes You Can't Make It.. were so personnal that i felt very inconfortable listenning to the song at the time.

Thing I can see happening soon: Nelson Mandela tribute concern in a large London stadium in which U2 play Pride, One, Ordinary Love, and possibly Breathe.

Thing I can see happening soon: Nelson Mandela tribute concern in a large London stadium in which U2 play Pride, One, Ordinary Love, and possibly Breathe.

:hmm: You may be on the right track with that... I would assume OL, Pride and Breathe are a given. Perhaps Streets instead of One with the African flags and hymns he did on Vertigo Tour?

Don't forget 46664 (Long Walk to Freedom). :happy:

Ordinary Love is a grower.
On my first listen I thought "of course, another one of those bland 00's kind of songs".
It confirmed my expectations for this song, knowing that they wouldn't release something extraordinary for a film and instead save it for the new album, all the more if they have to save the shock of a truly extraordinary song for the first single of the new album to catch the attention of non-u2-fans.
On the second hearing of the song my opinion started to change, and I had read Desmon Tutu's inspirational phrase for the song to try to get a better understanding of the lyric.
For the third hearing, I sat in front of my pc, alone at night, with headphones, and watched for the first time the video. And I was moved. That night I watched the video and heard the song several times.
I now think this song is something really special. Above their film songs (with the exception of The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Hold Me, Thrill Me... of course, as those songs weren't written specifically for a movie and have the U2 spark in them.)
I think the lyrics of this song, specifically the chorus, carry a HUGE meaning, a profound message. It moves me in a serious way.
Just wanted to share this with you guys.

Ordinary Love is a grower.
On my first listen I thought "of course, another one of those bland 00's kind of songs".
It confirmed my expectations for this song, knowing that they wouldn't release something extraordinary for a film and instead save it for the new album, all the more if they have to save the shock of a truly extraordinary song for the first single of the new album to catch the attention of non-u2-fans.
On the second hearing of the song my opinion started to change, and I had read Desmon Tutu's inspirational phrase for the song to try to get a better understanding of the lyric.
For the third hearing, I sat in front of my pc, alone at night, with headphones, and watched for the first time the video. And I was moved. That night I watched the video and heard the song several times.
I now think this song is something really special. Above their film songs (with the exception of The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Hold Me, Thrill Me... of course, as those songs weren't written specifically for a movie and have the U2 spark in them.)
I think the lyrics of this song, specifically the chorus, carry a HUGE meaning, a profound message. It moves me in a serious way.
Just wanted to share this with you guys.

:up:

I had originally though the lyrics were mostly about Mandela's marriage, how if you can't get the day-to-day right (the ordinary love) the extraordinary becomes impossible.

As I've listened to the news about NM's death, more has occurred to me.

But instead of Nelson and Winnie, literally just think of the two people in the song as black South Africans and White South Africans. Finally living together after apartaid ... It's hard to to. How do you deal with such a monstrous past?

You do what Mandela did. You forgive. You bring enemies together. You know you must in order To coexist. To live the ordinary love. The great promise of South Africa, the Rainbow Nation, was peaceful racial coexistence after decades of oppressive rule. That's only achieved through ordinary love. Day in and day out, loving your neighbor as yourself. Seeing the you in me and the me in you.

And given the violent state of SA society, it's something everyone needs a lot more of.

That's pretty damn deep Irvine. :up:

Funnily enough Ordinary Love is playing on the radio right now. It entered the charts on 13 here today.

Ordinary Love
#1 Argentina
#1 Czech Republic
#1 Italy
#1 Luxembourg
#1 Portugal
#2 Poland
#3 Netherlands
#3 Sweden
#4 Hungary
#5 Spain
#6 Estonia
#7 Venezuela
#9 Bolivia
#9 Slovakia
#10 Ireland
#12 Belgium
#13 South Africa
#14 France
#21 Denmark
#22 Canada
#30 Norway
#31 Finland
#31 Mexico
#32 Brazil
#34 El Salvador
#37 Ecuador
#37 Papua New Guinea
#43 Slovenia
#48 Indonesia
#51 Austria
#53 Chile
#56 Paraguay
#61 Germany
#67 United Kingdom
#67 Colombia
#68 New Zealand
#70 Australia
#70 Latvia
#94 Bulgaria
#96 Barbados
#137 Oman
#138 Ukraine
#151 Malta
#152 Mozambique
#160 Guatemala
#161 Turkey
#162 Peru
#164 Egypt
#166 United States
#168 Romania
#177 Israel
#207 Honduras
#274 Costa Rica
#285 Panama
#287 Hong Kong
#374 Cyprus

As of todays Itunes charts - here is how the song is doing currently - take what you want from this but I think overall its doing pretty well.

My dad texted me earlier today to tell me that he had heard the song and liked it. That's a sign that it has legs.

Back
Top Bottom