Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's exactly what turns me off about it. I wish he went back to the "i can't fight you anymore" melody. The "heart is on my sleeve..." part sounds like a leftover from some aborted song. Or maybe Bono was desperate to give his "magic marker" a home, squeezed it into the 2nd verse and then crossed it off his long list of "corny lines to be used." It's the only part of the song that I dislike, and the next line isn't much better. Honestly, I think it's the melody more than the song that bothers me. It temporarily drags the song's airy awesomeness down to the HTDAAB faux sincerity level.

Yep...it's almost like there's a disconnect between the music in the song and the lyrics. People are focusing on the Magic Marker bit, but really most of the lyrics in the song just sound awkward and shoe-horned in.

Yep...it's almost like there's a disconnect between the music in the song and the lyrics. People are focusing on the Magic Marker bit, but really most of the lyrics in the song just sound awkward and shoe-horned in.

The other lyrics don't bother me because at least they're sung well, and the chorus is flawless IMO. It's just that one part because he sacrificed the good melody to get his line heard. Sometimes less is more, and he should've just scratched it altogether and repeated the "i can't fight you anymore" melody, perhaps with a slight lyrical change for variation.

The other lyrics don't bother me because at least they're sung well, and the chorus is flawless IMO. It's just that one part because he sacrificed the good melody to get his line heard. Sometimes less is more, and he should've just scratched it altogether and repeated the "i can't fight you anymore" melody, perhaps with a slight lyrical change for variation.

I agree that the chorus is the best part of the song.

Personally, I'd appreciate this song much more if Bono had written the lyrics on the top of a newborn baby's head with a magic marker (while sniffing both), put said baby into a heavy truck and drove that truck into an ATM machine.

Personally, I'd appreciate this song much more if Bono had written the lyrics on the top of a newborn baby's head with a magic marker (while sniffing both), put said baby into a heavy truck and drove that truck into an ATM machine.

And maybe run over a little old lady along the way.

:lol:

Well, I just got my copy of the record and then downloaded the songs.

I'm loving them both. But I'm really surprised by how much I like the new Breathe. The lyrics in the NLOTH version are wonderful, but this is a better song. It feels more organic.

In the last 15 years Bono has written some great lyrics, but it occurred to me what the problem is with the lyrics which miss the mark. Bono seems to prefer his lyrics which are slogans. But the lyrics which are poetry are the best. He's misinterpreting what his best work is.

Silly Bono, lyrics are for songs, not T-shirts! :doh:

Lyrically this song is garbage. The 'Magic Marker' line is indeed pathetic and even more so, totally dated. Bono should have said 'Sharpie'. That's much more modern, and would have changed the complexion of the song to keep the listener totally drawn in. Plus, it would be much harder to wash off, and I'm betting Nelson and Winnie would have never gotten divorced if that were the case. This song is also missing an obvious '..and Winnie needs her man / like an antelope needs a helicopter' line to push it into Achtung-levels of awesome. It's definitely not up to Pride's epic epicness, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be. Both songs are about black guys after all. But *great* black guys! Not at all like that poet guy whose head Bono tripped on, or that bird in an open cage who'd only fly for freedom, but really, couldn't fly without freedom anyhow. Maybe it's just that the guy who got the better song was already dead, and just like how paintings increase in value when the artist dies, maybe if U2 just waited a little longer the Mandela song would have been just as good as the MLK song. That, or independently writing a tribute to the memory of great man is different from writing a song about a great man's love story with his wife for a movie about that man. Either way, I'm completely pissed that U2 were on autopilot for this song. Musically, It just sounds way too generic U2-y. But not nearly as pissed as I am about them writing this unrecognizable abomination of a Coldplay-doing-U2-doing-U2-doing-Coldplay knockoff that sounds nothing like their classic work. It's exactly the opposite of what I was hoping for, and what I was hoping for was something I have never heard before. While I don't know what that sounds like, I'll know it when I don't hear it. This song, I *heard*, and heard too well for it to be something I haven't heard from U2 before. What really irks me about OL is how simple it is. There's no *meat* there. It I can *get* it so quickly, after just one listen, it must be a bland, pale shadow of the more complex, textured, layered, faceted, multi-hued work from their past - and in the invisible future I want from them - that I've listened to a thousand times. It bothers me that even after repeated listens, I still don't get that 'more' I need from a U2 song, that 'something other'. It's a thorn twisting in my side that I find myself humming such a trite offering in the shower without realizing it, never finding that U2 I was looking for in this abomination. Unlike their previous, previous, but no, after that..yes, that work, this song Is just a promise of what could be, without the payoff. I keep listening, but am never fulfilled. If this is what the upcoming album holds, I'll be so disappointed, unless this is a direct sign that the album will be the opposite of what this song is. Whatever that is.

I feel that you're listening but not hearing. This is far from the simple and already heard hack job you portray it as. And if every time you hear pianos you think about that forgettable Coldplay, then that's you, not the other bands which use pianos.

Your suggestion about the Magic Marker is meaningless to me. It's the common word for that kind of an implement. Were you also one of the ones who complained about "ATM Machine" in MOS, even though that's what everyone actually calls them? I've never heard anyone say "Sharpie" out loud in my life.

That you long for the lyrics of the craptacious Walk On tells me that we're on different planets though.....

I hope you find what you want. I'm excited for the new era!

If The National wrote the magic marker line, many here would call it brilliant.

Nope. Matt has more than his share of clunkers, but at least he digs deep enough to give us something good more often than not. Magic marker is the baffling low point of a pretty generic, lazy song lyrically.

The music I really like though. It's very simple but effective.

Unless you're doing an experiment on how people act when they think they're undergoing a social experiment??????? :huh:

203994.gif

I feel that you're listening but not hearing. This is far from the simple and already heard hack job you portray it as. And if every time you hear pianos you think about that forgettable Coldplay, then that's you, not the other bands which use pianos. Your suggestion about the Magic Marker is meaningless to me. It's the common word for that kind of an implement. Were you also one of the ones who complained about "ATM Machine" in MOS, even though that's what everyone actually calls them? I've never heard anyone say "Sharpie" out loud in my life. That you long for the lyrics of the craptacious Walk On tells me that we're on different planets though..... I hope you find what you want. I'm excited for the new era!

That entire post was sarcasm. I like the song.

In e last 15 years Bono has written some great lyrics, but it occurred to me what the problem is with the lyrics which miss the mark. Bono seems to prefer his lyrics which are slogans. But the lyrics which are poetry are the best. He's misinterpreting what his best work is.

Silly Bono, lyrics are for songs, not T-shirts! :doh:

Indeed. When he kept it simple, he was able to convey more. His "sloganeering" feels awfully contrived and doesn't play to his strengths as a lyricist.

Back
Top Bottom