Ordinary Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Magnificent was a single and it flopped. It doesn't matter that it wasn't the lead single - U2 have had many hits with second of third singles. The musical climate of 2009 was not one in which U2 could have thrived commercially, no matter what they did.

yea i'm with you on this - magnificent wasn't going to light the world on fire. it had it's chance, it did nothing. it's not like they released it as the second single when there was some huge controversy swirling like after the apple soi release.

Remember the time that U2 were up against Eminem for an Oscar, and Eminem won even though he didn't even show up to the damn awards ceremony or perform, because Lose Yourself > Hands That Built America.

yea i'm with you on this - magnificent wasn't going to light the world on fire. it had it's chance, it did nothing. it's not like they released it as the second single when there was some huge controversy swirling like after the apple soi release.

I don't think anyone will every truly know. I heard Boots a grand total of twice on terrestrial radio and Magnificent one time only, so maybe it was just a matter of the climate at the time.

Yet again, Magnificent would've had a few things going for it though... besides being a stronger song in general (and an 'anthemic' one that the band was known for creating on top of that), it also had a riff that was based around an vi–IV–I–V progression, which automatically would have been more pleasing to any listener's ear.

So even though bands can have bigger songs down the road as second/third singles, it's never a guarantee, and it wouldn't have hurt having a bit more publicity as the band's "first new song" in however many years. Boots didn't set the world on fire, but sure as heck had a lot more mentions online and articles stating such at the time.

I don't think anyone will every truly know. I heard Boots a grand total of twice on terrestrial radio and Magnificent one time only, so maybe it was just a matter of the climate at the time.

Yet again, Magnificent would've had a few things going for it though... besides being a stronger song in general (and an 'anthemic' one that the band was known for creating on top of that), it also had a riff that was based around an vi–IV–I–V progression, which automatically would have been more pleasing to any listener's ear.

So even though bands can have bigger songs down the road as second/third singles, it's never a guarantee, and it wouldn't have hurt having a bit more publicity as the band's "first new song" in however many years. Boots didn't set the world on fire, but sure as heck had a lot more mentions online and articles stating such at the time.
A song where Bono songs about being born to sing for you with an awkward chorus of maaaaaaaaaagniiiiiiiiificent wasn't going to connect. It just wasn't.

Magnificent might not have been a hit, but it would have announced a more modern approach after the previous album's straightforward rock, and it also wouldn't have turned off as many people as Boots. Correct, no song on there would have been a Vertigo-style hit with kids. But releasing MOS as a second single after declaring their return with Magnificent could have had a wider impact.

i don't discount that it would have been better than boots - i just discount that people would have taken to it.

i think the only chance they had with No Line was to throw a curveball and release Moment of Surrender as the first single in a quiet, low key release. obviously with the prospects of the 360 tour looming, this was never going to happen... and in all likelihood the tour is what pressured them into backing off the more atmospheric album in the first place in favor of hitz hitz hitz (of which none were hitz).

Agreed. The 360 tour concept really didn't vibe with the material, a bit of a fatal flaw there which may have affected the single choice, the idea of opening with Breathe (dumb), trying to make UC a sing-along (fail), closing with MOS (should have been a centerpiece)...none of it worked.

I remember trying to avoid hearing leaks or anything (other than Boots) before NLOTH came out. One morning in the shower, I had the radio playing on the living room stereo, and heard something that made me think ".... is this a new U2 song?" I ran out to shut off the stereo so I could remain unspoiled and pure as the driven snow.

It was Magnificent*. Even in the shower, I could tell it was U2.

*har har. I like the song, but wouldn't go THAT far in describing it.

Agreed. The 360 tour concept really didn't vibe with the material, a bit of a fatal flaw there which may have affected the single choice, the idea of opening with Breathe (dumb), trying to make UC a sing-along (fail), closing with MOS (should have been a centerpiece)...none of it worked.

which is why the delayed 360 legs were so much better than the first.

Back
Top Bottom