Ordinary Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

that is very interesting. it's a bit surprising that Vertigo was such a strong digital performer, I would have guessed that singles from much younger bands would have done better as downloads.

but yeah in hindsight maybe all the Apple ads had an impact. and perhaps they had better control over illegal downloads as well, given how strongly Paul McG felt about it... which probably adversely affected those other younger bands whose audiences obviously have fewer scruples than us...

that is very interesting. it's a bit surprising that Vertigo was such a strong digital performer, I would have guessed that singles from much younger bands would have done better as downloads.

but yeah in hindsight maybe all the Apple ads had an impact. and perhaps they had better control over illegal downloads as well, given how strongly Paul McG felt about it... which probably adversely affected those other younger bands whose audiences obviously have fewer scruples than us...
How is it surprising though? The song was everywhere, and it was the moment that iTunes and iPods went mainstream. It was a huge moment for Apple.

Love, Love, Love it. This is a great example of soothing music perfected by U2. Crank up the volume and just R E L A X.

Once again you leave me scratching my head and wondering if you're new to U2 and music in general:scratch:

Once again you leave me scratching my head and wondering if you're new to U2 and music in general:scratch:

once again I am completely not surprised either by your comments, or your inability or unwillingness to try to understand what someone else is saying.

Last edited:
It's settled well for me, as it is is a pretty conventional off-the-shelf post-2000s U2 song. Features some lovely elements from Edge. It does it's job.

Was never thrilled with it upon it's release and rarely revisit it though, but certainly don't regret that the song exists.

once again I am completely not surprised either by your comments, or your inability or unwillingness to try to understand what someone else is saying.
Nah... it is baffling that someone would be surprised that vertigo was a"strong digital performer."

The only people who wouldn't have known that would be newer fans who were too young to remember 2004, people who lived under rocks, or someone who's trying to troll

At first I really didn't like it. Thought it was average. But its grown on me quite a bit.

No, I understand the words you are typing. But just like Headache said, this issue was well documented and discussed back then, not just in here, and Vertigo was one of the discussed quite a bit.

This in addition to your U2 and politics, theatrics, etc comments, you come off as someone who is brand new to the band/ music or trolling.

No, I understand the words you are typing. But just like Headache said, this issue was well documented and discussed back then, not just in here, and Vertigo was one of the discussed quite a bit.

This in addition to your U2 and politics, theatrics, etc comments, you come off as someone who is brand new to the band/ music or trolling.

Ah you're still betraying along with Headache an ineptitude at reading and digesting others' POV. That's OK! I am here to help.

To be clear, never did I say I was surprised at Vertigo being a strong digital performer. My comment (at the risk of you misunderstanding this again) was that it outperformed by such a wide margin the other songs on the chart at the time purely in the downloadable format to have catapulted it to the top of the charts. Very different thing.

But that's ok, because now I understand that your problem apparently is my politics. Too funny. You know nothing of my politics. And theatrics? WTF are you talking about.

Ah you're still betraying along with Headache an ineptitude at reading and digesting others' POV. That's OK! I am here to help.

To be clear, never did I say I was surprised at Vertigo being a strong digital performer. My comment (at the risk of you misunderstanding this again) was that it outperformed by such a wide margin the other songs on the chart at the time purely in the downloadable format to have catapulted it to the top of the charts. Very different thing.

But that's ok, because now I understand that your problem apparently is my politics. Too funny. You know nothing of my politics. And theatrics? WTF are you talking about.

To be clear, never did I say I was surprised at Vertigo being a strong digital performer.

that is very interesting. it's a bit surprising that Vertigo was such a strong digital performer

that is very interesting. it's a bit surprising that Vertigo was such a strong digital performer

To be clear, never did I say I was surprised at Vertigo being a strong digital performer.

it's a bit surprising that Vertigo was such a strong digital performer

To be clear, yea.. that's sorta exactly what you said. If you meant something different, hey, that's cool... but you literally said that it was surprising that Vertigo was such a strong digital performer.

Vertigo would have been a top 10 song, if not top 5 and possibly even #1 if digital downloads were included in the rankings.

Magnificent maybe would have lasted on the charts a week or two longer than Boots. Maybe.

There is zero comparison.

My larger point is that Magnificent to me is a great U2 song. It could have been on modern rock/alt radio, rock radio, adult contemp, etc... I also think it would have given a whole different feel to the album as a whole, and created a better reception and thus sales.

People were obviously anticipating a new U2 album. They were following up on the huge success of Vertigo, successful tour and Album of the Year for HTDAAB.

It showed with strong first week sales (almost half a million). I just think some "soft fans" and average music listeners, and hell, even big fans were turned off by Boots. It's not a good song. The video again, was stupid.
I think Magnificent would have hung around the charts for quite a bit longer than Boots and would have done much more of a service to the album as a whole.

What?! It must be embarrassing to try and call someone out for not understanding and then make this post.

I completely understood your post, not one part did I not understand.

I said nothing about your politics. I was referencing your other posts about U2 and how you didn't know they've been political, how theatrics have been in play with them for decades, etc.

To be clear, yea.. that's sorta exactly what you said. If you meant something different, hey, that's cool... but you literally said that it was surprising that Vertigo was such a strong digital performer.

meaning - relative to the other songs on the chart.

more specifically meaning - surprised that the others were not also strong digital performers, by relative comparison.

I thought that was implicitly clear. Note to self.

What?! It must be embarrassing to try and call someone out for not understanding and then make this post.

I completely understood your post, not one part did I not understand.

I said nothing about your politics. I was referencing your other posts about U2 and how you didn't know they've been political, how theatrics have been in play with them for decades, etc.

well aware they have been political. When I commented on their most recent political commentary, it was specifically in reference to the fact that with the most recent anti-Trump stuff, it has taken on a markedly different tone than in the past.

what must be embarrassing is trolling posts looking for arguments and making snark comments all the time. or maybe this does not bother you. that would not surprise me.

pretty convenient to leave out the rest of the comment...

pretty convenient to leave out the rest of the comment...

it's not convenient - the next line changes nothing. it still presents as you being surprised that vertigo was a strong digital performer... which you denied saying like 5 posts later.

it's a fairly silly thing to debate.

well aware they have been political. When I commented on their most recent political commentary, it was specifically in reference to the fact that with the most recent anti-Trump stuff, it has taken on a markedly different tone than in the past.

what must be embarrassing is trolling posts looking for arguments and making snark comments all the time. or maybe this does not bother you. that would not surprise me.

Not looking for anything.

Embarrassed of snark? Don't be ridiculous.

it's not convenient - the next line changes nothing. it still presents as you being surprised that vertigo was a strong digital performer... which you denied saying like 5 posts later.

it's a fairly silly thing to debate.

it's clear from my full comment, which you abridged, that my surprise was that the songs from other, younger bands did not perform as well as or better then Vertigo, as downloads.

at this point you are right, it is silly.

At the time I'm going to assume younger bands downloads were obtained illegally. Just as you said. iTunes was a few years old at the time.. the advertisements for Vertigo were all over, the iPod tie in coupled with coming off a huge commercial success with ATYCLB and having a gigantic built in fan base with money to spend probably contributed to Vertigo doing well on the digital charts.

My larger point is that Magnificent to me is a great U2 song. It could have been on modern rock/alt radio, rock radio, adult contemp, etc... I also think it would have given a whole different feel to the album as a whole, and created a better reception and thus sales.

Magnificent was a single and it flopped. It doesn't matter that it wasn't the lead single - U2 have had many hits with second of third singles. The musical climate of 2009 was not one in which U2 could have thrived commercially, no matter what they did.

Anyway, Ordinary Love is an ordinary song but better than California and The Miracle. I'd switch those two for Crystal Ballroom and Invisible, but Ordinary Love still isn't good enough to make the album.

Still feel to me like whatever you think about OL compared to the rest of their catalogue, it was a clearly superior tune to the Frozen theme. Not even close. Should have won the Oscar.

Back
Top Bottom