One with Knocking Snippet (studio?) and Sick Puppy> One Demo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuzzer1

The Fly
Hi all - I'm curious if anyone has the following recordings that they could share?

Firstly, in perusing YouTube last night, I found what appears to be a studio version of One with the 'hear my knockin' snippet - does one exist? What is the detail behind it?

The second ask is also around One - I have the Achtung Baby demos but they seem to be missing the Sick Puppy / Mysterious Ways > One transition that was featured in From The Sky Down...does anyone have this as well?

Most appreciative of any help!

Thank you!

One with Knocking Snippet (studio?) and Sick Puppy> One Demo

I'm not sure how these tapes were procured. I'm guessing most of these were out-takes the band either weren't interested in or had better versions of. Real Thing, Salome, Acrobat, Blow Your House Down, all had been knocking around for a while (Blow Your House Down was circa 87, Real Thing was written in early 88 alongside Desire, and Acrobat in Australia in 89), and they hadn't really cracked them yet. They had tinkered with them in the summer and fall of 1990, recording them in Edge's basement and in STS, and then maybe knocked off backing tracks again in Berlin. But as Flanagan notes in his book, the haircuts weren't feeling the magic from those songs, and thought they should be put aside.

So it's entirely possible that the only reason we got access to the versions of those songs was because the band was dissatisfied and weren't planning to use them, whereas stuff like Down All the Days, Sick Puppy, One, all went back to Dublin stamped as priority. As a result, versions of those songs wouldn't be on the Axtung Beibi outtakes, since the band filed them separately.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm not sure how these tapes were procured. I'm guessing most of these were out-takes the band either weren't interested in or had better versions of. Real Thing, Salome, Acrobat, Blow Your House Down, all had been knocking around for a while (Blow Your House Down was circa 87, Real Thing was written in early 88 alongside Desire, and Acrobat in Australia in 89), and they hadn't really cracked them yet. They had tinkered with them in the summer and fall of 1990, recording them in Edge's basement and in STS, and then maybe knocked off backing tracks again in Berlin. But as Flanagan notes in his book, the haircuts weren't feeling the magic from those songs, and thought they should be put aside.

So it's entirely possible that the only reason we got access to the versions of those songs was because the band was dissatisfied and weren't planning to use them, whereas stuff like Down All the Days, Sick Puppy, One, all went back to Dublin stamped as priority. As a result, versions of those songs wouldn't be on the Axtung Beibi outtakes, since the band filed them separately.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Tremendous detail - very much appreciated. I do wonder if we'll ever have a nice copy of Sick Puppy, understanding the importance of it.

As for the Youtube 'One' version I alluded to, I recognized post request it came from the Slane recording. Alas, I'm left wanting...release Sick Puppy!

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom