One singular, (nearly) universally hated U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't say a thing about rateyourmusic, I don't have a clue what it was. So I don't know how you came up with that, when my comment was obviously about youtube videos.

You aren't misinterpreting the stats, but you are misinterpreting their value.

Dare to look up how many views say, Gangnam style, Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus videos have? Or that Anaconda track I've heard about? And how many likes they have? Yeah... that's the value of youtube, pretty much nothing at all.

I fully agree with this theory.
Personally I don't see how anyone can feel any sort of love for "If God will send his angels". A song that lyrically truly is as bad as the title leads you to fear. With lyrical offenses that make the little old lady line sound Shakespearean in comparison. And musically as dull a song as U2 has ever released.

Surely had this one been released as part of How to Dismantle .... it would be rated as the worst thing U2 ever released?

The other way around I think that "Sleep like a baby" would widely be regarded (on Interference) as one of U2s finest moments ever had it been part of POP. (It would easily be one of the best tracks of POP, come to think of it.) Now it's just thought of as a good song from their latest album.

Just to make it clear, I belong to the "Love" team... I'm not suggesting that people should hate TPM or IGWSHA as much as they hate SUC, I'm just saying that maybe SUC had the misfortune of being at the wrong time at the wrong place.

And then we come to the simple fact that even on a far more limited and exclusive scale ie, the minority of U2 fans who actually spend time on fan forums, even there, you will not find am overwhelming majority of fans who think it's the worst thing U2 has ever done.

That's the meaning of "Universal" in the context of this thread.

This version shouldn't even be in this discussion anyway, regardless of how much people love it or hate it, since the song is still "One".

Also, I don't think it qualifies in this thread since it's very easy to shrug it off as meaningless or even nonexistant... you really need to go out of your way to listen to it, it's not right there messing up one of your albums and asking to be skipped.

To be honest, I haven't listened to it not even once, and this discussion is making me want to give it a shot...

You aren't misinterpreting the stats, but you are misinterpreting their value.

I'm not at all really. Had another music rating service not been introduced into the equation, I wouldn't have bothered citing YouTube To be honest, I merely went there wondering just what the average YouTube viewer thought about it, given that I see YouTube as a pretty vicious environment for songs that actually do get universally panned.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how generally positive the outlook was.

I can't debate your individual opinion even though I think the song is great for many reasons. But I can confidently say that it's by no stretch of the imagination the most universally hated thing they've ever done - amongst fans or elsewhere.

To be honest, I haven't listened to it not even once, and this discussion is making me want to give it a shot...

You should! Everyone should! It's not the same, other than musically (actually, some have opined that the band cranks it up a notch, to good effect)...it's different, yes. It's not meek, subdued, laid back. It's defiant, jubilant, heart wrenching, you name it. But it's damn good. :yes:

You should! Everyone should! It's not the same, other than musically (actually, some have opined that the band cranks it up a notch, to good effect)...it's different, yes. It's not meek, subdued, laid back. It's defiant, jubilant, heart wrenching, you name it. But it's damn good. :yes:

Just listened to it for the first time.

I'm not really good at listening non-rock music (unless it's the 80's probably), so I was totally fearing a full R&B version of One, but it isn't.

It's actually U2 sounding like U2 with some aditional vocals.

I still like the real One better, so I can imagine that If I was expecting the real "one", I would've been disappointed, but the whole album was covered some years ago and I guess it was well received, this is not much different and actually a lot easier to digest, since this is still sounding closer to U2 than those covers.

So yep, I don't see the big deal with it (except, like many times I've said in this thread: context).

This is wrong.

:wink:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

And then we come to the simple fact that even on a far more limited and exclusive scale ie, the minority of U2 fans who actually spend time on fan forums, even there, you will not find am overwhelming majority of fans who think it's the worst thing U2 has ever done.

Sent from my ass crack

true again. it's much more easier to find an overwhelming majority of fans defending it as you do... unfortunately, the internet service in wonderland has been down since the start of this thread.

Miami (as well as the whole of POP), Red Light, Is That All? are all fantastic. Even SUC I take no issue with.

I will admit, I don't feel like I'm the typical U2 listener, though. I have a couple throw-away tracks that I don't see why they're so beloved. I know this isn't a list of personal least favorites, though.

With that being said, has anyone thrown "Trip Through Your Wires" into the hat for most universally hated? It's near the bottom of my list and I have yet to hear anyone talk about how they can't get enough of it.

I get the feeling, no matter what U2 song you're talking about, there's a U2 fan or group of fans that have love for the track. I think universal hatred is probably too sweeping a statement.

With that being said, has anyone thrown "Trip Through Your Wires" into the hat for most universally hated? It's near the bottom of my list and I have yet to hear anyone talk about how they can't get enough of it.

It's probably one of the weaker of the JT tracks. Although I rank it above of Mothers of the Disappeared (never did anything for me).

I enjoy the Desert / Weather imagery of TTYW. Keeps with the Thematic Landscape of the album.

TTYW is easily my least favourite track on JT. But that still puts it above dozens of other U2 songs.

I don't know, Trip Through Your Wires is post-Pop levels of bad.

TTYW is easily my least favourite track on JT. But that still puts it above dozens of other U2 songs.

:yes:

I don't even skip it any more, since I barely listen to albums, so when I'm finally listening to that album, I like to run it from start to finish, Trip included..

I actually really like Trip and absolutely love Mothers of The Disappeared. I think it's one of their most powerful songs ever when done in correct arrangement. The live acoustic versions they played were not good. The album version is their best closer imo and in my top 25 U2 songs of all time.

I don't mind Trip, it's not a great song but it doesn't provoke many negative thoughts either. I'd consider MOTD worse on JT. It has the same issues Grace has, it just goes nowhere.

MOTD is an awesome song. And it's even better live.

I love the Chicago 1987 version. Larry's drums add a lot to the song.

I should post this there relating to the topic at hand:

My least favorite song on Joshua Tree is I Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Same. How that's one of their most popular songs blows my mind. It doesn't suck, it's just nothing special imo.

"Mothers of the Disappeared" is the least involving (and worst) track on Joshua Tree (the best album ever made), even given its subject matter. There isn't much happening there musically.

I'd take it over every song from the last two albums.

Back
Top Bottom