One singular, (nearly) universally hated U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stand Up Comedy got stuck in head while I was trying to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. I despise it even more now.

I tried listening to it the other day and got a headache. It's dreadfully awful.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Stand Up Comedy got stuck in head while I was trying to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. I despise it even more now.

You felt like a small child crossing an 8 lane highway.

I agree this is one of U2's worst tracks in recent history.

Most universally hated, probably Stand Up Comedy.

My personal list of hate:

Get On Your Boots
Stand Up Comedy
Playboy Mansion
Staring At The Sun
Wild Honey
Love and Peace Or Else
A Man And A Woman

For the record, I quite like New York, Miami, Grace & Peace On Earth which some others have mentioned. The first two were killer live.

Nothing prior to Pop bothers me. I do have to be in the mood for "Numb", but I'm nowhere near hating it. Interesting that SOI didn't spawn any songs I hate. First album in 20 years to achieve that. Although overall I rank it fairly low.

Wild Honey is the worst U2 song to me.

I might be the only one here, but I like the music of SUC..... (not talking about the lyrics though) and don't understand the hate everybody has towards it.

As everyone I think there are some low points in the greatness of U2 songs but the only thing that I really can't stand and I think that they should be ashamed of is the version of One with MJB.

I might be the only one here, but I like the music of SUC..... (not talking about the lyrics though) and don't understand the hate everybody has towards it.
I think you kind of aswered your own question.

I also like the music, but I feel a bit stupid singing along "stand up for your love!", not sure if that's the problem for everyone else, though.

Also, even with those lyrics, the song would've been a really good b-side.

And I usually love to blame stuff on circumstances:
Stand Up (the full title doesn't help either) is Boots' "sister song", so if people were already 'unconfortable' with Boots, SUC had no chance. SUC is at least partly a casualty of releasing Boots as lead single.

More on the "blaming it on the circumstances" thing:

If SUC had been released in a stronger album or a different era, it wouldn't have got that backlash.

Right now, I'm thinking about Pop, containing tracks like Discotheque, Miami and The Playboy Mansion... the last two have been brought up in this thread as some of the worsts, but as soon as they pop up, they're dismissed, since they get a pass in the end.

I think SUC fits among those "sillier" songs. Swap them and whichever ends up in NLOTH would've been the most hated (probably Playboy Mansion* even more), and SUC would've been just another fun song from a misunderstood era.

(*I like Playboy Mansion)

As everyone I think there are some low points in the greatness of U2 songs but the only thing that I really can't stand and I think that they should be ashamed of is the version of One with MJB.

Don't get me started on this........
I hate that more than SUC......
And SUC is the worst song they've ever made

As another poster said, the lyrics are silly enough to kind of ruin the whole thing for some people. I definitely think musically SUC is pretty interesting. Probably the funkiest song they've put out.

Musically, I always thought it was okay. I was never against the band fully abandoning a guitar-rock sound, after all. But I just could never get into the rest of the song... lyrically and whatever else.

(*I like Playboy Mansion)

I don't mind Miami myself. But even the 'worst' tracks on Pop (Playboy Mansion and IYWTVD, imo) are pretty good when compared to some off of the other albums.

oh man how did it take so long for this to come up? :lol: So many people here hate that version of One, myself included. She just wrecks the song with her loud shouting, bleh. 2005 One was dull as fuck anyway, with or without MJB. Glad it got some spunk back on 360.

You can come up with all the theories you want, but no matter what music Stand Up Comedy has, what lead single preceded it, what album it was on, it would always, always be killed by those atrocious lyrics.

You can come up with all the theories you want, but no matter what music Stand Up Comedy has, what lead single preceded it, what album it was on, it would always, always be killed by those atrocious lyrics.

:up:

Atrocious lyrics? Sure.
One of U2's worst songs? Sure.

Probably -even likely- it would've still be considered THE U2's worst song no matter in which album it was on, and definitely I have no intention to get into a more than a couple of posts argument to defend damn SUC of all their songs.

Besides I'm not even qualified to argue about the lyrics of a song, it's just that I really don't think that Stand Up lyrics are so much worse than Playboy Mansion or maybe even Miami's.

All I'm saying is that if we swap those two, SUC would still suck, but MAYBE it wouldn't get so much hate (maybe someone would even call it fun and clever), and we all would be hating on "if Coke is a mystery and Michael Jackson history" Playboy Mansion.

And that's it.
I've already said in this thread that SUC is the worst song imho, so it's not my intention to defend it.

I like Playboy Mansion and the lyrics are seriously not that bad! Maybe a bit cheesy and dated, but nothing just egregious. I think it has a good message about materialism, etc.
Miami is not bad lyrically, either. Couple duds, but nothing too awful. They fixed the lyrics live anyway, so I don't really care.

I do get where you're coming from, Bad Exit. I'm increasingly suspecting that the hatred for the real dud songs ebbs and flows with regards to how recent a song is. There seems to be a time where hatred peaks, after the excitement of new material wears off but before the song fades into the background of a distant previous era. There was definitely more shit hung on Miami and Playboy Mansion's lyrics a few years ago than there is now - partly because newer things have received attention instead, and partly because everything that could be said has been said. Stand Up Comedy is now old enough that nobody's still excited about it, there's new material to provide a contrast, and it fits into an analysis of shortcomings of an era that has just wrapped up.

Here's 100 more:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/mary_j__blige/one__featuring_u2_/

It really is fucking horrible, one of the low points of U2's career to date.

Nope, not 100 negative ratings :)

56 people rated it below 2/5

59 people rated it 2/5 or better

I love it, and many others do too. It charted well in many countries worldwide.

Even a simple Yes or No poll on this or any forum would not put it as U2's worst song ever.

Therefore, even from a completely objective standpoint it is decidedly not the "singular, universally hated U2 song" as is the stated purpose of this thread.

As a non native english speaker, bad lyrics are less annoying for me than for native english speaker, that's for sure. As a result, SUC isn't getting on my nerves as much as the majority of Interferencers, because the first thing that comes to my ears is the music, not the lyrics. Of course I understand what he says, but it's not automatic like it would be if U2 was singing in French (my native language). That would probably make me cringe a lot more :lol:

Here's 100 more:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/mary_j__blige/one__featuring_u2_/

It really is fucking horrible, one of the low points of U2's career to date.

This has thrown away a bit of the weigth that I carry for the last 8 years since I heard for the first time this slaughter of One. I didn't know or ever noticed that this has been a MJB release. Tecnically this makes it a MJB song (even if a cover). From this point of view, I can hate it now in total freedom without any conscience damage.

This has thrown away a bit of the weigth that I carry for the last 8 years since I heard for the first time this slaughter of One. I didn't know or ever noticed that this has been a MJB release. Tecnically this makes it a MJB song (even if a cover). From this point of view, I can hate it now in total freedom without any conscience damage.

:lol: It's not a Mary J Blige song, the musicians playing the music are U2, Bono is all over the track. And now you feel liberated to hate it because you have declared it to be her song, which means that you must have some deep seated irrational hatred of her.

This song on Vevo has 40,000,000+ views, 118,000 UP votes to merely 2,000 down votes, and 10,000+ comments from around the world by people (from what I can see without reading them all) who mostly love the song.

You haters are just wrong. Sorry! :)

Sent from my ass crack

Back
Top Bottom