One singular, (nearly) universally hated U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like most of their work since 2000. Some is better, some is worse than their previous eras. I also listen to many other bands.

I must just be a sheep of course.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Yet Oasis will be forever remembered for that song. It has become a legend, just like many other songs.

And sadly to say, U2 doesn't have a song like that. One might argue that One comes close, but it is certainly not as well known as Wonderwall or has the same 'chart' status. So I guess that's more what Edge was aiming at than the pop song simplicity.

What? Surely Where The Streets Have No Name is U2's signature most popular hit. It's their Wonderwall. But this thread is about most hated song.

What? You don't think a WOWY, BD, or NYD fits into that category?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think the reference was just to songs in the 90s.

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. But when looking at U2's entire discography.. if you'd have to name one song that everybody knows, to the extent of Wonderwall or Smells Like Teen Spirit..... perhaps Beautiful Day comes the closest.

Honestly? Very, very little people of my generation know Streets or WOWY, or even One. Not to mention NYD. And I don't expect the current young generation to know these U2 songs either.. Yet they all know Wonderwall and Smells Like Teen Spirit. So the impact to the masses of U2 songs seems to be so much smaller.. While I'm not judging the quality of the songs, it seems U2 never became a big anthem band.

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. But when looking at U2's entire discography.. if you'd have to name one song that everybody knows, to the extent of Wonderwall or Smells Like Teen Spirit..... perhaps Beautiful Day comes the closest.

Honestly? Very, very little people of my generation know Streets or WOWY, or even One. Not to mention NYD. And I don't expect the current young generation to know these U2 songs either.. Yet they all know Wonderwall and Smells Like Teen Spirit. So the impact to the masses of U2 songs seems to be so much smaller.. While I'm not judging the quality of the songs, it seems U2 never became a big anthem band.

Perhaps it's a regional thing, but I don't think this is the case in the states. Younger generations that weren't listening to music in the 90s don't know who Oasis are, they'll wear a Nirvana shirt, and they know a handful of classic U2 songs.

Never became an anthem band. :lmao:

I didn't know Wonderwall until I got to college. But now I hear it allll the time, so I don't know if 90s music is just getting more play on the radio right now (it is), or if I was just listening to the wrong stations (likely), but I do have a small blind spot to that song, for that reason.

Vertigo and Sunday Bloody Sunday are the most popular with teenagers.

:hmm: That's interesting indeed.. here everybody knows Wonderwall, it's a staple song for new guitar players. We had exchange students over from Italy, a mate of mine played guitar, and the first thing they wanted him to play was Wonderwall. At University we went on a trip to Denmark, a guy brought his guitar, and everybody sang along to Wonderwall, ammongst other songs... It's so huge here, I can't speak for the current youth, but from my generation onwards pretty much everybody in the country knows it.

And when I mention U2, some are able to name One, or Vertigo or Beautiful Day as songs... but Streets? Sadly haven't found many people who know that gem. A friend of mine did, she lives together with a musician and her parents listen to U2 a lot. Which, ironically, is the most heard response I've had when I tell people U2's my fave band. "Oh, my parents listen to them". :lol:

Here in the States, most people could name 10 U2 songs before naming 2 Oasis songs. Numerous U2 songs are far more well-known than "Wonderwall." Don't get me wrong, I was a pretty huge Oasis fan, but they had an extremely brief and limited impact in the States as a big band.

Here in the States, most people could name 10 U2 songs before naming 2 Oasis songs. Numerous U2 songs are far more well-known than "Wonderwall." Don't get me wrong, I was a pretty huge Oasis fan, but they had an extremely brief and limited impact in the States as a big band.

this is absolutely true. there are a few U2 songs that i think EVERYBODY knows.

1. Streets
2. ISHF
3. WOWY
4. PITNOL
5. One
6. Beautiful Day

and pretty much everyone also knows:

1. SBS
2. Desire
3. Mysterious Ways
4. NYD

and I think Stuck, AIWIY, Vertigo, and maybe IGC are very, very well known.

everyone also loves all these songs. except for some of the diehards who think liking Pop gives them hipster cred. ;)

as for most hated U2 song, for me, it's Playboy Mansion. in U2 fandom, it's SUC.

for the world, it might actually be Vertigo -- i think the "hello, hello" in many ways encapsulates what people find annoying about Bono, that he's annoying and always trying to lick your face because he's a puppy who needs attention.

There's such a fantastic rock song at the heart of "Vertigo." Ditch the "HELLO, HELLO", the "HOLA!", and "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH" and it's one of their best. Better yet, just replace it with "Native Son," but keep the "all of this can be yours" bridge from "Vertigo."

There's such a fantastic rock song at the heart of "Vertigo." Ditch the "HELLO, HELLO", the "HOLA!", and "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH" and it's one of their best. Better yet, just replace it with "Native Son," but keep the "all of this can be yours" bridge from "Vertigo."

i think Vertigo is great, and it kills live. but i find Bono less annoying than most people.

as for most hated U2 song, for me, it's Playboy Mansion. in U2 fandom, it's SUC.

for the world, it might actually be Vertigo -- i think the "hello, hello" in many ways encapsulates what people find annoying about Bono, that he's annoying and always trying to lick your face because he's a puppy who needs attention.

Completely disagree. Unless by world you mean the anti-00s U2 or just the anti-U2 crowd in general. But the non-fans and casual fans that I know -- I'm 27, so people in my age range -- all like Vertigo to a degree, and some of them love it.

i think Vertigo is great, and it kills live. but i find Bono less annoying than most people.

Honestly, I don't get the Bono hate. He's obviously the kind of strong, idiosyncratic, brilliant and unusual personality whose most difficult qualities are also his best ones. Don't everyone know someone like this, and don't those people make our world richer? Bono's gentle and warmhearted qualities are much closer to the surface than others like him, making him more lovable in proportion to his annoyances. I find it really mystifying that so many people can focus only on his negatives and not also appreciate all his good things.

Honestly, I don't get the Bono hate. He's obviously the kind of strong, idiosyncratic, brilliant and unusual personality whose most difficult qualities are also his best ones. Don't everyone know someone like this, and don't those people make our world richer? Bono's gentle and warmhearted qualities are much closer to the surface than others like him, making him more lovable in proportion to his annoyances. I find it really mystifying that so many people can focus only on his negatives and not also appreciate all his good things.

He's up front.

Also, he's very vocal about everything, which is a great way to paint targets on yourself.

Besides, (and I know this won't sound as good as it sounds in my head, but oh well) he's "too perfect" compared with the rest of people who loves to paint targets on themselves... it's easier to hit the targets on Homer than on Flanders, but is easier to hate Flanders than Homer.

Grace= Boring as shit!

Boring? Yes, but I don't mind the song. It's a very mellow song that I find relaxing and if in the right mood, I kinda like it.

With that said, I would never argue with someone who didn't like it because I get it. I do find it more pleasant than Peace on Earth off of this album and Wild Honey(the monkey line ruins what would otherwise be a nice tune).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

What ruined ATYCLB for me was those :30 second clips they put out 6 weeks in advance. I can never unhear those when I listen to them now. The only song they didn't do a 30 for was WILATW

Boring? Yes, but I don't mind the song. It's a very mellow song that I find relaxing and if in the right mood, I kinda like it.

With that said, I would never argue with someone who didn't like it because I get it. I do find it more pleasant than Peace on Earth off of this album and Wild Honey(the monkey line ruins what would otherwise be a nice tune).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Agreed, but I prefer the cliched Peace On Earth over Grace any day. What ruins Wild Honey is the fact that Bono is off key and can't hit the high notes. Honestly, as I read on another thread "Acoustic U2" doesn't work for me.

ATYCLB had so many great tracks on it but loses points because of these three songs for me.

I Fall Down
Red Light
The Refugee
Grace
Miami
Wild Honey
Some Days are better than others

I dont hate them all but they seem to be pretty hated tracks.

The second half of ATYCLB is simply contaminated with floating turds. WH, PoE, NY, Grace...probably the worst run of songs on any U2 album.

Back
Top Bottom