One singular, (nearly) universally hated U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can barely hear Viva Davidoff. That's a million times more pleasant than being able to hear SUC and Big Girls Are Best in any capacity.

I think the only one who is still relatively pleasant is Adam. Larry and Edge have lost it with their batshit statements in the last ten years as well.

Well, Larry was always a bit of an ass anyway.

Bono should just get TOOL tattooed on his forehead. Then each time an interviewer asks him why he/U2 are so disliked, he can just point in answer.

I think the only one who is still relatively pleasant is Adam. Larry and Edge have lost it with their batshit statements in the last ten years as well.

?

What batshit statements were these? I've blinked sometime in the last ten years, I guess.

Edge naming Wonderwall as the song from the 90s he would have liked to have written, stating that The Fly "didn't stand the test of time", labelling No Line on the Horizon as a "small album" (which they attempted to correct by putting Crazy Tonight on it) and how "U2 doesn't do small albums", ultra-conservative statements in the vein of "we want to have songs that we can play on an acoustic guitar", which is the antithesis of how this band had worked in the past, being lackluster about Last Night on Earth because "it's not Sunday Bloody Sunday" (???), calling Nirvana the only "innovative" band of the Seattle music scene (if anything, they were the most derivative ones) etc.

Larry's idea of having Song for Someone as a concert closer (even Bono couldn't hide an honest WTF expression), calling Horizon a disaster because it doesn't work to have producers as songwriters (happened a million times in the past, and he's proud about Songs of Innocence with Danger Mouse as a producer, who has almost always co-written songs on albums he produced) and labelling the album "obscure" (which they attempted to correct by putting Crazy Tonight on it), how he's more into "songs"...

Interviews distort the picture, sure. But this particular picture portrays them to be so far from reality it makes the whole thing disturbing, and not in a good way. The poor attempts at revisionism are just laughable.

Those seem like viewpoints that can reasonably disagreed with, but they don't sound like batshit crazy statements that mean they are unpleasant people, or will make them widely disliked.

I don't think anybody outside of us really gives a shit about any of those things Edge or Larry said. I had forgotten about them all until your post.

And shit, I wish I had written Wonderwall too :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Those seem like viewpoints that can reasonably disagreed with, but they don't sound like batshit crazy statements that mean they are unpleasant people, or will make them widely disliked.

They all lead to the same place - their definition of a "song" is now unbelievably conservative, their definition of a "big album" is obviously something that turns out to be an overproduced, overblown mess, and both terms are going towards the objective of being "big", which makes them only more and more widely disliked. In terms of how many of these statements are contradictory to the approach they had in the older days (particularly the, yes, batshit "acoustic song" strategy), I do find them bizarre to the extreme.

No, they're very likely not unpleasant people. But they seem so out of touch with anything remotely connected to sanity in today's music. The results are there. Or to put it more bluntly - they aren't there. They didn't have a "hit" in 10 years. They simply care too much. When you're actively trying to be liked by the masses by forcing yourself to do "songs" and "big albums", the results may very well be the exact opposite. Everything about public reception to their new material and business strategies tells me the latter did in fact occur.

And shit, I wish I had written Wonderwall too :shrug:

This is a guy who prepared for Achtung Baby by listening to bands like Einsturzende Neubauten, My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails. A guy who was raised through bands like The Clash, Television and Led Zeppelin. His ambitions were to filter those influences and make something catchy and infectious but also sonically adventurous and unique. I actually like Wonderwall, but it's as simple as a pop song can get. This is not what U2 is all about to me. But I guess all of the band members disagree with me on that now.

They've all changed. I've always believed that after the MDH soundtrack, Bono was kidnapped by terrorists (or aliens). Since then, we are seeing an imposter in action. This is not the Bono I knew back in the 90s.

Then I'm guessing you "knew" Pamela Anderson a little more intimately in the 90s...

No but I dug that other cutie on Baywatch. :drool:

Look! The proof is in the pudding. They made better music back then and were ready to explore and experiment. But since Bono was replaced by an imposter it is all safe music and stupid decisions! :angry:

Goddamn kidnappers! :fist:

Sent from my GT-I9060 using U2 Interference mobile app

I won't hear a bad word about Miami. It is only "universally hated" by the people who don't listen to anything but U2, and because it's a little different, it is therefore singled out as a bad song. It's great, and more importantly, it never deserves to even be in the discussion because it was a fucking monster live.

Why do you have to be so condescending to people? I get if you don't agree with something, or if you think there's a tendency over here to be a little naive towards other music, but when you throw blanket statements like this around, who's going to want to converse?

poll it is

You have to be a subscriber to make polls, unfortunately.

Quite some years ago now, we ran a Worst Song Survivor. It was pretty entertaining, but unfortunately ended in a dull final round between Viva Davidoff and ... I think it was Theme From The Swan.

Yeah, if a poll were to ever happen again, it should really only include album tracks. Viva Davidoff isn't even a bad song, but no one knew it, so it "won".

Seriously, Viva Davidoff? A Passengers B-Side. Lol. That's just absurd.

:up: The intro to Red Light is pretty bad, but it's actually a pretty good song.

The da da das are pretty annoying, but then when the music kicks in it's fucking awesome, so I've never known how to feel about.

I thought SUC was the most universally hated U2 song, or maybe Get On Your Boots.

This is a guy who prepared for Achtung Baby by listening to bands like Einsturzende Neubauten, My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails. A guy who was raised through bands like The Clash, Television and Led Zeppelin. His ambitions were to filter those influences and make something catchy and infectious but also sonically adventurous and unique. I actually like Wonderwall, but it's as simple as a pop song can get. This is not what U2 is all about to me. But I guess all of the band members disagree with me on that now.

Yet Oasis will be forever remembered for that song. It has become a legend, just like many other songs.

And sadly to say, U2 doesn't have a song like that. One might argue that One comes close, but it is certainly not as well known as Wonderwall or has the same 'chart' status. So I guess that's more what Edge was aiming at than the pop song simplicity.

Yet Oasis will be forever remembered for that song. It has become a legend, just like many other songs.

And sadly to say, U2 doesn't have a song like that. One might argue that One comes close, but it is certainly not as well known as Wonderwall or has the same 'chart' status. So I guess that's more what Edge was aiming at than the pop song simplicity.

Well, Michael Stipe has said that he wish he'd written Beautiful Day.

What? You don't think a WOWY, BD, or NYD fits into that category?

Well that is much less wtf then. But still One would definitely fit in that category.

By chart success at the time, it doesn't have the same numbers worldwide, but I agree, they're both certainly 90s anthems.

Back
Top Bottom