One singular, (nearly) universally hated U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a fan of the MJB One. She has an amazing voice, to be sure, but IMO she just gets the tone all wrong for this song...at least to my ears. It just seems to me her performance is oddly detached from the thematic elements of the song (as I see them), almost as if she could be singing about anything. It sounds me like she's putting all she has into it, certainly, but the overall impression I get from her performance is that it's more about what she can do than what's right for the song. It just doesn't work for me, but I understand that others, including the band and a good deal of the record buying public, disagree and love it and that's fine. In any event, it's certainly not U2's most hated song, but I'm just not a fan of U2 covers in general (and I know strictly speaking it's not a cover), so I have some built in bias against it.

MOTD, like every song on TJT, is nothing short of amazing. They could close every show on the next tour with it and I'be happy.

You should! Everyone should! It's not the same, other than musically (actually, some have opined that the band cranks it up a notch, to good effect)...it's different, yes. It's not meek, subdued, laid back. It's defiant, jubilant, heart wrenching, you name it. But it's damn good. :yes:

The band def. cranks it up on that one. Maybe it has more in common with the legacy of live performances rather than the studio track, which is much more delicate and expressive. I can see how people dislike it, but there's a lot to enjoy.

And dislike for TTYW? How can you feel negatively about this song when they are having so much fun with it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldvTYPhvhTM

Back
Top Bottom