Of these 3 future projects, which are you most excited about ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either Songs of Ascent or the Spiderman project IF it becomes a U2 record and not just a Bono and the Edge side project. If it's THAT GOOD, the BAND will claim it and put it out there as a U2 project---I hope this happens.

SOA, Rubin, Spidy.

The Spidy clip we have (boy falls from the sky) is :drool:

I lvoe Window in the Skies, but I am creaming over Kingdom. I think we are about to to fairly spoilt here

I agree with what a couple of posters have said, I'm excited for Spidey but w/o a guarantee that we're getting a U2 album out of it, its gotta be SOA

Rubin is not an innovator. Nothing like that. He wouldn’t shake up anything about U2 at all. I think Rubin has made his latter career name more from rescue than reinvention. He sharpens people up a bit, slaps them around a bit, and they produce great late material after a while in the wilderness. But none of it is particularly new, original or creative in comparison to those artists previous work. And I hate his mixing - LOUD! LOUD! LOUD! - I think if U2 were intent on going for another Bomb type album, Rubin would have been the man for the job. Simplistic, bombastic, formulaic, loud U2. But praise all that is holy that they decided against that direction. No more Rubin please.

I might have missed something, because I pay pretty much zero attention to all things Spiderman, but has anything been said anywhere about any of that material ever actually coming from U2 (or at least Bono/Edge)? And while it will surely be U2-ey because that's what happens when they write stuff, it won't be too U2-ey, ie they need to write stuff that can be transferred easily to multiple productions. Plus, musical theater sucks balls. I really don't care much about this.

I don't know why U2 would even consider restarting work on Rick Rubin material. It's pretty obvious that their two diverse approaches just didn't gel, and so they should just put this down as a learning experience and move on. Rubin can stick to his usual coterie of bands and U2 can carry on with Lanois / Eno. I used to think that it was maybe limiting to consistently work with the same production team, but then I realised that it never did the Beatles any harm, did it?

Songs of Ascent would be the most exciting project, personally. Just the thought of having 'Kingdom' and other challenging and fantastic songs like it just wets my pants. :up:

kingdom has been done live ??? or you think it will be great live?

They mean how it sounds on the big sound system of the Claw. It's been 'played' live, but not by U2. If you get what I mean. It's been played over the PA.

It sounds great, especially when everyone sings along to it!

SOA.

To be honest, I've always thought that Eno and Lanois were sort of like the unofficial fifth and sixth members of the band. U2 have written their best music when working with those two, IMO.

Songs of Ascent, then Spiderman, then Rubin.

Songs of Ascent, at least by description, sounds like the U2 album I've been waiting on for a long time. NLOTH scratched the itch, but Songs of Ascent sounds like it's really gonna do the trick. A dark album of meditative, moody songs? :drool:

I agree with hatrickpatrick when he says that Lanois and Eno are like the 5th and 6th members of the band. I agree. They take the band into that "otherness" that makes up their greatest work, IMO. The best songs on NLOTH were all co-written with Eno and Lanois (except Breathe, which was just U2, and it's a damn good one!).

I love Rick Rubin. He's a good producer, and he just helped Metallica, my other favorite band, write and record what could go down as their best album. But I don't think he's right for U2. His working style, in my opinion, is not a positive influence on the band.

He produced "Window In The Skies", and that was an instantly forgettable song to me. Rubin's style is "write first, don't go into the studio until you have everything written and ready to go." It's common knowledge that U2 does their best work while just tinkering and writing in the studio. "Beautiful Day" would have never come about with Rick Rubin, it would have remained "Always".

Rubin also likes a very dry, stripped sound to his records. When you listen to Rubin record, say, the Chili Peppers or Metallica, you are very conscious to the fact that "there are only 4 people in this band." I don't think that works for U2, a band where it sounds like a full symphony orchestra, a marching band, and a choir are all playing at one time (and that's just The Edge.)

Back
Top Bottom