Of the Remastered Disc thus far........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My only problems with this release are the DVD content (Sydney DVD, weak) and that The Wanderer with Bono on vocals was not included. I think most of the demo material from Zooropa was used or worked on for use with POP. So I think that most of that material will appear on a set for that album if it ever happens.

I would give this release an A- or B+. The new unreleased songs and the demo of the entire album and a few new remixes all look interesting. Not to mention Achtung did need to be remastered. So I will look forward to a remastered copy of the album as well (I hope they did as good of a job remastering it as they did with JT). So if the remastering is up to par, A-, if they screw that up B+.

Out of curiosity, what grade would you give the other reissues thus far? I want to calculate a GPA for the band, if possible. :lol:

JT A
Boy B+
October B/B+
War B+
Unf Fire A-

They make the honor roll! :wink:

agreed. even though many of U2's decisions have been puzzling this decade,they really have nailed their reissues....wait "remasters". didn't want to start a huge disaster in this thread too! ;)

agreed. even though many of U2's decisions have been puzzling this decade,they really have nailed their reissues....wait "remasters". didn't want to start a huge disaster in this thread too! ;)

I admit it, I laughed. :D

Well, the GPA calculator says that's a 3.46 minimum. A high AB score will push them into high honors for sure!

Can someone explain what this will be exactly?

CD6 - “Baby” Actung Baby

01. “Baby” Zoo Station
02. “Baby” Even Better Than The Real Thing
03. “Baby” One
04. “Baby” Until The End Of The World
05. “Baby” Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
06. “Baby” So Cruel
07. “Baby” The Fly
08. “Baby” Mysterious Ways
09. “Baby” Tryin’ To Throw Your Arms Around The World
10. “Baby” Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
11. “Baby” Acrobat
12. “Baby” Love Is Blindness

It will be demo versions of all songs. Let me get the exact quote from the site.

The Achtung Baby archives have unearthed some previously unreleased songs from the recording sessions. With a raft of unreleased material; video, remixes, b-sides and documentary footage discovered, a full album of demo and early versions of the final 1991 tracklisting has also been revealed.

Cool, that in itself will be good to listen to. Something like the Salome sessions. They should have included all of those on the Uber deluxe but eh... we get the same remix's and versions of songs I've had over & over & over... kinda like the U2Duals.

My only problems with this release are the DVD content (Sydney DVD, weak) and that The Wanderer with Bono on vocals was not included. I think most of the demo material from Zooropa was used or worked on for use with POP. So I think that most of that material will appear on a set for that album if it ever happens.

It's interesting that Zooropa only gets the official album. (remaster)

No B-sides or rarities...are they skipping those ? :confused: Zooropa is not getting its own release, and they won't put Zooropa leftovers on the upcoming Pop remaster.

And yes...why Sydney all over again when they have several pro shot full shows to choose from ? The live show DVD would have been a great selling point. Not millions of remixes, B-sides and early demos (I'm still hoping the documentary includes some studio performances of the album). :shrug:

The baby disc isn't the U2 of 2011 performing AB in full in the studio (ANOTHER potential great selling move) ? It's just the early versions of AB ?

The baby disc isn't the U2 of 2011 performing AB in full in the studio (ANOTHER potential great selling move) ? It's just the early versions of AB ?

Yes.

The stuff of U2 performing AB songs in 2011 is included on the DVD From The Sky Down.

And the live 360 reworked version of EBTTRT might be the Fish out of Water remix on the 5th cd.

The "Baby" disc will be the thing I'm most interested in. Who knows if they'll include any Salome tracks on it though (i.e., I Feel Free, Wake Up Dead Man (w/ The Spinning Head), etc.). I could easily see them being "early" versions of what ended up being the final song too. Different mix, different vocal, etc.

I know EBTTRT sounds slightly different here in this promo video than the final cut itself. Could be just a mixing thing, but it'd be interesting to hear something along these lines too. Starts around the 7:06 mark.

‪U2 - Achtung Baby promo 2‬‏ - YouTube

No B-sides or rarities...are they skipping those ? :confused: Zooropa is not getting its own release, and they won't put Zooropa leftovers on the upcoming Pop remaster.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suppose that they'll give it it's own standalone release with a second disc of it's own goodies in another year or so.

Bonus, and will make us feel even worse that we're going to have not only Sydney as a duplicate but also Zooropa if we want the bonus stuff. :happy: Yay McG.

That would be crazy...even with already getting Sydney twice. I still say Rattle and Hum, or Pop, is the next remaster after AB.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suppose that they'll give it it's own standalone release with a second disc of it's own goodies in another year or so.

The inclusion of the Sydney DVD:angry: would indicate to me there will be no seperate Zooropa release. Why include a show that replaced AB songs with Zooropa songs if it wasn't to represent both albums on the DVD?
The Stockholm show, for instance, would have still had WGRYWH, UV and TTTYARTW surely a better representation of AB live?

Do people actually think there's much from the Zooropa sessions that either wasn't on the album or turned into Pop tracks?

That's what I'm thinking of. A lot of leftovers from ZooTv were worked into Pop songs(and COBL). So perhaps they're saving those for the Pop remaster.

I'm pretty sure Zooropa will follow not too long after Achtung Baby. At least that's what I hope happens. Zooropa cannot be missed on a 2 CD Deluxe edition. That would just be... incomplete.

My guess is that it wont. I do not think there is a lot of "extra" material that did not get used from those sessions. Most of the material that did not get used was used later for POP. That is why I think what was extra during those sessions may end up on a POP special edition if it ends up anywhere. The only thing missing that should have definately been there if they do not do Zooropa on its own is The Wanderer with Bono on vocals. There is no reason to not include that unless they do a separate Zooropa release.

I almost hope they do not re issue Rattle And Hum. Because there is going to be anarchy when it does not include a full Lovetown show as a bonus DVD. :lol: If they could not put out a different DVD from the amount of pro shot production they had for Zoo on Achtung Baby, they are not going to do it for Rattle And Hum. The fact of the matter is the fans loved Lovetown. The band hated that tour. The only thing to hope for is more footage from Tempe or Denver. Which would cool, but not as much as a full Lovetown show obviously.

Oh, and I forgot to rate the Under A Blood Red Sky reissue.

A- would be a solid A or A+ if there would have also been a full audio disc of the complete Red Rocks show. But at least MOST of it was on the DVD.

I know it sounds ass backwards, but they'll split the Zooropa remaster off at some point, right? It's not forever only going to be only available on the limited Super and very limited Uber sets (same with the documentary). And when they do split Zooropa off, how hard is it to knock up a second disc of (probably) mostly more remixes, with a couple of other extras tossed in? *BANG* something new! and exclusive! for you to drop some cash on.

And yeah, the Zooropa stuff that became Pop stuff would only ever be on a Pop set.

Edit: I haven't seen what's on the 'Videos' DVD - is that out there anywhere? Will be interesting to see whether that's just Achtung videos or the Zooropa ones as well.

The Stockholm show, for instance, would have still had WGRYWH, UV and TTTYARTW surely a better representation of AB live?

The effort that would go into getting Stockholm or Washington up to scratch would have been, well, the biggest job of the project. They put a lot of work into their live releases, and are super picky/perfectionist about every detail. I would assume they were one of not up for it, no clear $ benefit, or they don't think those gigs were up to it, footage or performance wise or whatever.

I'm hoping the mystery 'Bonus' DVD includes a few songs from these or similar - a bit of Mirrorball Man, basically.

I know it sounds ass backwards, but they'll split the Zooropa remaster off at some point, right? It's not forever only going to be only available on the limited Super and very limited Uber sets (same with the documentary). And when they do split Zooropa off, how hard is it to knock up a second disc of (probably) mostly more remixes, with a couple of other extras tossed in? *BANG* something new! and exclusive! for you to drop some cash on.haven't seen what's on the 'Videos' DVD - is that out there anywhere? Will be interesting to see whether that's just Achtung videos or the Zooropa ones as well.

Exactly. I mean while I might prefer outtakes and alternate versions of songs to remixes at least the Zooropa remixes are interesting. And I can't help but feel that this whole remastering of the back catalogue would be incomplete without Zooropa separate. They don't even have to give Zooropa a Super Deluxe thing, just put it out in the 1 CD format, 2 or 3 CD format, and Vinyl and you're all good. It's just I've looked forward to Zooropa being separate. Weird how it's included with the Super and Uber Deluxe AB. Maybe they tacked Zooropa along with the Sydney DVD since the Sydney DVD includes material off Zooropa?

The effort that would go into getting Stockholm or Washington up to scratch would have been, well, the biggest job of the project. They put a lot of work into their live releases, and are super picky/perfectionist about every detail. I would assume they were one of not up for it, no clear $ benefit, or they don't think those gigs were up to it, footage or performance wise or whatever.

I'm hoping the mystery 'Bonus' DVD includes a few songs from these or similar - a bit of Mirrorball Man, basically.

Didn't stop them putting out the Paris JT show untouched when it would have been easier to tag on a R&H edit or something, especially if there is not going to be a remissue(!) of that. But you could be right and perhaps they were happy with the Paris show untouched? Who knows...

That's true, I forgot about the JT Paris. Maybe that was because there hadn't been a formal (full) JT Tour release, and with that, also versus having what I guess they'd consider the 'perfect' ZooTV release already out there. I don't know.

As an aside, it's a real fucking shame that no matter what they end up doing with Zooropa, it won't be worthy of Zooropa. There's no more interesting album, in terms of where they were at and development and whatnot. Strikingly different, hugely unique (for them or otherwise), pulled together amazingly fast (for them), the band in an amazing headspace, mid ZooTV, those six months pretty much being the band at their absolute apex. And those six months didn't just supply Zooropa, but a decent chunk of their next album. If only Bill Flanagan had taken a video camera everywhere with him. I mean, compare the possibilities of that versus, say, the dicking around in Memphis of Rattle and Hum.

Unfortunately you are correct. However, there was the Yankee Stadium material that did get to full production for the TV special. They could have at least put together that footage.

It really makes me wonder why they archive every single show in audio and video, I doubt they will ever use any of it.

The effort that would go into getting Stockholm or Washington up to scratch would have been, well, the biggest job of the project. They put a lot of work into their live releases, and are super picky/perfectionist about every detail.

Not really, since the Dalton's footage on TJT was probably worse than the copy I have. And Paris TJT footage wasn't that hot either.

Are the washington / stockholm performances really worse quality than the sydney one? weren't they shot at the same time with the same quality filming?

Personally I'd rather have an official washington/other zoo concert release on CD than the sydney dvd again.

Back
Top Bottom