OCTOBER is good, but here's how it could've been great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
hey why not single this album out too. they didn't even f'n play the bloody thing untill the last tour after pretending it doesn't exist. first, u can make tomorrow sound like the remake version on that common ground album. the closing track needs to be fleshed out more. and they should have taken more time to write lyrics after the others one were stolen. pop and october can battle for whos more forgotten/estranged album

i actually love this album. if anything, they should have just left "Is That All" off the album. the rest of it is great, though i do prefer Saturday Night over Fire.

October is probably U2's weakest album. But it still has some great songs on it.

Rattle and Hum is great album! Remove the live tracks if you like and try it again.

October is probably U2's weakest album. But it still has some great songs on it.

Rattle and Hum is great album! Remove the live tracks if you like and try it again.

NOT!

October is one of their very best.

that's what I'm saying though, give me all live tracks or give me all studio tracks but don't mix them up :tsk:

And if you are going to include live tracks, why not include GOOD ones from the movie like Exit or SBS or WOWY or IGC or MLK?

The early U2 singles and albums had so much energy... they stood out, because they really meant it. Never more apparent than on October.

I agree with what's been said - it's a good album but just not one of their stronger ones ( even U2s weakest albums are still pretty good!). Gloria, I through a Brick, With a Shout, are all great tracks but there's many others that are lacking.. Rejoice, title track, scarlett..to name a few. Good songs are also about more than the technical aspects of finishes lyrics and good production, its about good tunes. Octobers 'tunes' are not nearly as catchy as those of Boy or War with the exception of Gloria. For that reason I disagree with the original poster in the thread. Even if the technical aspects of the album had been done better, it still probably would not have been as good as those albums ( Boy, War). POP on the other hand could have been up their with JT and AB and for that reason ranks first in my mind when it comes to lost potential but that’s another thread.

gloria has been a live standout. and a live version of the common ground version of tomorrow would be great but not likely.

I agree with what's been said - it's a good album but just not one of their stronger ones ( even U2s weakest albums are still pretty good!). Gloria, I through a Brick, With a Shout, are all great tracks but there's many others that are lacking.. Rejoice, title track, scarlett..to name a few. Good songs are also about more than the technical aspects of finishes lyrics and good production, its about good tunes. Octobers 'tunes' are not nearly as catchy as those of Boy or War with the exception of Gloria. For that reason I disagree with the original poster in the thread. Even if the technical aspects of the album had been done better, it still probably would not have been as good as those albums ( Boy, War). POP on the other hand could have been up their with JT and AB and for that reason ranks first in my mind when it comes to lost potential but that’s another thread.

Man, I disagree about "Rejoice," "October" and "Scarlet." First off, "October" is a stone-cold classic, not too different from, say, "MLK" or "The Ocean." A short burst of melody and mood, with a haiku's worth of great lyrics.

"Rejoice" is a killer post-punk stomper, and "Scarlet" is one of those near-instrumentals that works as a great lead-in to the final cut on the album. Like staying up all night, getting drunk and howling at the moon with your friends, only to feel the cool fog surrounding you. You want to rejoice for having been alive. I LOVE "Scarlet"!

that's what I'm saying though, give me all live tracks or give me all studio tracks but don't mix them up :tsk:

And if you are going to include live tracks, why not include GOOD ones from the movie like Exit or SBS or WOWY or IGC or MLK?

gotta agree with all this. The two covers are unnecessary, especially when they've done much better versions of All Along the Watchtower :huh: could have been replaced with two much better tracks, like the ones you mentioned. Rattle and Hum has some great stuff but it's so damn long. I actually think Bono is onto something with his idea of keeping albums at a decent length (I think it was him who said that? too much of a good thing?)

R&H should have been a double album. And what I mean is, one CD of live tracks, one of studio.

Wait, this thread is about October.

October is cool. I like it. It's one of U2's weakest albums but that doesn't bother me at all. I like pretty much all the songs on it (except Scarlet, that's pretty meh but it's not much of a song anyway) and many I love. It would be cool if they played songs from October, but there's also a few songs I'd rather hear live (and by a few, I mean almost every other song). It's not that October sucks, it's just not as good in comparison :shrug:

Gloria rocks live though :rockon:

my only problem with October is that while Stranger, Shout and Is that all? aren't really poor tracks the album would be about a classic if one of those 3 tracks would have been as good as the first 6 tracks of the album

personal top 5 U2 favourite :up:

Top 5 for me too, maybe top 3. Definitely my favorite of the pre-Eno/Lanois albums. October is so unpretentious. Post-punk, full of sincerity, atmospheric and not as slicked up as War.

Back
Top Bottom