NYD Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Considering the date, this seems appropriate... I have always loved New Year's Day. It was one of the first U2 songs that I got completely hooked on, and it is one of the only 80s warhorses that I'm not tired of yet. It still sounds great at just about every concert for me, and the whole UTEOTW transition in '92 added something to the song (although they haven't done the segue as well since Zoo and PopMart, where they totally mastered it).

Post your praise here.

The bootleg version from Popmart in Mexico City is by far and away my favourite performance of it, and the first 45 seconds of the studio version are up there as the best thing U2 have done in studio.

Top 5, minimum.

I was just discussing this with another interlander in another thread......I'm tired of a lot of U2's "warhorses" and want to see them played at least a little less, but not NYD. Every performance is a towering one for me. I just think that the song is a perfect concert song, and it never needs elaborate lighting or a lot going on in the background, just the 4 of them playing away. I don't know if I have a favorite version or not.

I must say that I never get tired of ringing in the new year with the song. It really is great, and it was pretty spectacular live. Everything off of War is good IMO, but NYD is fairly timeless to me.

I was just discussing this with another interlander in another thread......I'm tired of a lot of U2's "warhorses" and want to see them played at least a little less, but not NYD.

Agreed. :up: There's something eternally great about the instrumentation--it just kind of drives away at some special feeling that I connect with every time I listen. The Popmart treatment was incredible...by that, I also mean the way it was incorporated into the intro music. The Slane version is also pretty brilliant.

A rare moment of true U2dorkdom for me:

I also like how recent versions have Bono singing "though torn in two, we can be one" and he holds the "one" as Edge starts with the "I will begin again", as opposed to them both starting "I will begin again" at the same time.

:reject:

I also like how recent versions have Bono singing "though torn in two, we can be one" and he holds the "one" as Edge starts with the "I will begin again", as opposed to them both starting "I will begin again" at the same time.

If loving that makes me a U2dork, then I will gladly wear the dork crown. It's awesome.

And I'm with you as well on the "warhorses" - I never get tired of this one.

If loving that makes me a U2dork, then I will gladly wear the dork crown. It's awesome.

Oh, I am proud of just how deeply I love U2, I just don't often express it anymore on this board, and rarely with such minute details.

It's fucking awesome, though, especially from one of the Brazil shows, spine-tingling for me.

Happy New Year, by the way, Alicia.

I've always felt the same way. ;)

Don't hide. I love that too! :love: Great fucking song! Along with WOWY, it's a classic I never get tired of.

It still sounds great at just about every concert for me.

That's the thing with this song, its one of the few eighties classics that I feel the band have managed to perform well on every tour, it doesn't sound watered-down or tired, they seem to have plenty of energy and enthusiasm for it, plus Bono always manages to pull off that big 'Say Its True' verse, even during Popmart.

I love that moment too, its such a simple effect but it works so well, its one of the reasons the Popmart versions are my favourite, I don't recall them doing it much on the Vertigo versions and I missed it a bit.

Great tune anyway.

Totally agreed with NYD being almost the only war-horse track that never gets tired.
Songs like One , WOWY , ISHFWILF and especially Pride:madspit: are so overplayed.
But with NYD ( like Streets )...somehow it`s always amazing?
And I really like the way on the Vertigo Tour Adam was walking all over the stage and Bono says this song belongs to Adam , coz of the bassline..was very cool.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Anyone getting tired of SBS? , it has been played to death on the last two tours , so I say leave it out on the next one.

Well... fuck. I hate being fuzzy anyway.

If I recall, there have been a few NYD threads over the past couple of years. Not sure how fuzzy they were, however. ;)

Adam and Edge own this song, as mentioned. I've had the keyboard part in my head since opening this fuzzy thread yesterday...:drool:

Totally agreed with NYD being almost the only war-horse track that never gets tired.
Songs like One , WOWY , ISHFWILF and especially Pride:madspit: are so overplayed.
But with NYD ( like Streets )...somehow it`s always amazing?
And I really like the way on the Vertigo Tour Adam was walking all over the stage and Bono says this song belongs to Adam , coz of the bassline..was very cool.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Anyone getting tired of SBS? , it has been played to death on the last two tours , so I say leave it out on the next one.

Yeah, I'm a little sick of it live too, it's suffering from overplaying and being slightly irrelevant these days. I think it needs signed out properly from the tracklisting tho, with one last performance performed with full passion and gutso again, it seems tired now. Even Larry's drumming feels sloppy listening to it on some Vertigo shows.

very true...of all the "warhorses" this is the best and the one that i hope they keep in the set. a song from 1983 that sounds brand new and fresh even today.

Agree with every post here. For some strange reason that defies any explanation, I think the PopMart versions of this song were the best next to the War tour. Though, as everyone says, it has never had a bad tour or a tour off.

That is very unique among U2 warhorses, as we can find plenty of fault with Zoo and Elevation versions of Bad, Pop and Elevation versions of Pride, WOWY and ISHFWILF, Elevation versions of SBS, Vertigo versions of BTBS, One and WOWY etc.

It makes him a 'dork' (Bono) not you.

But yes I just love :)heart::heart:) LOVE that line (the wisdom of it) : 'nothing changes on New Year's Day'.

So :censored:ing TRUE!!!! And sad. :(

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom