North Star decent version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I'm with you. I'll take the musically sparse storytelling of Cedars any day over North Star, whose bland pop is the essence of dull for me.

Interesting lyrics don't always make a great song though. Not that I'm against spoken-word vocals or a less active musical background necessarily, but nothing's going on in Cedars to keep me interested. I just find it insufferably dull and long. Probably the only reason the band has never pulled it out live.

I do like songs the band has done in that sort of vein though. There's hardly much going on in Beach Sequence on Passengers for example, but I've always been a fan of that. Just my tastes though.

IGWSHA has good music and lyrics though.

A song can be good and cheesy. I don't hold them as mutually exclusive.

Take "Pride." I love it. The guitars are God. Bono sings his ass off. It's a great rock song. It also includes that performance/line "free at last, they took your life, they could not take your pride." That could have been used in troop rallying speeches in Braveheart. It's cheesy and corny and dorky.

Maybe so, but it's also probably one of the greatest transitions from bridge to chorus in rock n roll history, lyrics included.

The short transition (talking the guitar here) from the last chorus before the bridge - into the bridge - is also one of Edge's finer 'small' moments.

Very simple but just shows how he is the master of delay. I mean, the whole song (studio version) is a clinic on timing that multi-delay.

Also - Hysteria is DL's best song, hands down.

Joe Elliott was my first rock star crush. Obviously, since I was female and alive in 1989.
Wow, wayyyy off topic. Yea, North Star. Meh. Not great, but I've heard worse. I think.

The short transition (talking the guitar here) from the last chorus before the bridge - into the bridge - is also one of Edge's finer 'small' moments.

Very simple but just shows how he is the master of delay. I mean, the whole song (studio version) is a clinic on timing that multi-delay.

Also - Hysteria is DL's best song, hands down.
:up::up:

Definitely all true!

People (myself included, though it was much better after getting some good rest on multiple 360 legs) love bashing Pride in the middle of a tour, but I don't know anyone, U2 fan or general public, who thinks it's anything but a great, iconic song. I still get excited and reach for the volume dial every single time it comes on the radio.

As for Hysteria, not even a debate. DL's best hands down!

I love North Star, I think it's a fantastic song, but I think this is an awful recording. It's wayyy overproduced (though I think that has to do with the fact that this is obviously some type of soundtrack version - similar to the 'strings' version of The Hands That Built America). Also, for a studio version, this is an awful vocal take from Bono. It sounds like a one-taker with a headcold.

Here's hoping it's re-recorded with a more sparse arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom