North Star confirmed in Transformers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish Dallas would 'accidentally' forget Edge's acoustic guitars or something.:grumpy: Have honestly not heard a single good acoustic U2 song. Yeah, I guess SATS was okay, because it was the only way they could play it. But the rest? Desire, Stay, Suck in a moment, AOH, now North Star... all MUCH worse than their electric counterparts.

i'd rather have it accoustic. like the way the chorus sounds that way. kinda Bob Marleyish to me for some reason. plus i've had it up to here with the chimes already.

whew. i don't know if anything beats the electric version of Stay from Dublin '93. i even sometimes prefer it over the studio version.

The only acoustic song by U2 I care for is SATS. It fits the bill and the Sarajevo version is awesome. Edge's harmonies are so clear because Bono's voice was out.

I miss Stay full band. It sounds so gorgeous with Edges guitar and Adams bass riff.

As for NS, bring on the full band. Everytime they play anything acoustic (Stay in Anaheim was pretty) they put the stadium asleep.

But Larry needs his break and acoustic guitar gives Bono & Edge some bonus credibility for being musicians. :)

i would have liked to have heard the acoustic version of Mysterious Ways that they were rehearsing before the start of the tour. sometimes acoustic versions of faster songs can be more appealing.

Hope I am wrong but from what I can hear from the clip Bono's voice sounds strained.

I've noticed that in movies, for some reason, they tend to increase the pitch by a semitone, it's possible that they did the same here. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me was treated like that in Batman Forever for instance - slightly increased tempo, higher pitch and shortened. I think it's the same with The Ground Beneath Her Feet and The Hands That Built America, but those two are notably different versions of the songs anyway so perhaps they're meant to be like that.

In conclusion, it could be that you hear things right but it wasn't necessarily originally recorded like that. Hopefully a full studio version of high quality can sort this mystery out one day.:shifty:

I see what your saying about the tempo being changed for movies but after listening to a few live versions of North Star I think Bono's voice really sounds like its beat up and for whatever reason it seems like this song brings it to light. Wheres Peter?

sounded like most of the stadium was asleep.

Song is boring. Either play it full band or don't.

i was there. we were asleep. brought the show to a screeching halt.

edit: i think the problem is dual. it's a new song so that cancels out like 98% of the audience and acoustic songs in a stadium setting are just not exciting. so take out like 1.9% of the people who do know the song.
.1% of the people last night enjoyed it. (hey i can math with less than 3 hours of sleep!) the rest of us checked our texts, got beer and used the lavatory.

edit2: i don't know if it's been mentioned, but after they finished bono admitted that they should have rehearsed that song better. he knew it sucked, at least.

I see what your saying about the tempo being changed for movies but after listening to a few live versions of North Star I think Bono's voice really sounds like its beat up and for whatever reason it seems like this song brings it to light. Wheres Peter?

They've been traveling a ton the past 2 weeks:

New York
Anaheim
Baltimore
England
Michigan
Miami

Plus, the runs of shows from June 17th thru July 30th is pretty daunting compared to the rest of the 360 tour. 17 shows

Did you forget about batman?

Nope. And Tomb Raider.

Batman Forever was infinitely worse than Tomb Raider, the latter just being dumb and boring. Although at least with Batman Forever it was preceded by a pretty decent film and very good film, one of those fronted by a Prince song, so they may have had higher expectations themselves. Tomb Raider I just figured was part of their 2000's 'go wide' repackaging, and that they couldn't care less, all just about the demographics and reach. Go big. Go dumb. Big dumb blockbuster soundtrack? Sure, why not. Transformers... you can be 100% sure of what you're getting and I still think that if this wasn't something to do with an album that never came, and for whatever reason couldn't be pulled, it's a really odd thing to do. At any price. What is the point?

They've been traveling a ton the past 2 weeks:

New York
Anaheim
Baltimore
England
Michigan
Miami

Plus, the runs of shows from June 17th thru July 30th is pretty daunting compared to the rest of the 360 tour. 17 shows

Sorry for double post

I listened to the full clip with the actors overtop from the email (thanks!) which is much longer than the YouTube clip (it's 2 minutes long), and it seems to me like it's advertising for the song. Either that or the film editors did an awful job. The volume of Bono's voice is so loud, it's strange to listen to the actors talking & hear Bono just slightly under their volume. It doesn't seem right---either there should be only an instrumental underneath or it should be like North Star is playing on a radio or something. It just doesn't seem like it meshes well with a scene full of dialog. So, to me, it seems like either they did a bad job editing, or they cranked up the volume on the song to make it stand out--kind of like the Aerosmith song from Armageddon. If it's the latter, I'm surprised that the song isn't on the soundtrack.

Okay finally got to check out the little clip of the song and you really can hear Bono's voice quite loud. Athough I wish there was no dialogue so I could hear it!:angry: It sounds pretty interesting from that small clip and as was mentioned I do agree that it is reminiscent of Original or the Species. It was just about to go into the chorus before it cut and I think there'd be a great build up to that point. Definitely wish we could hear more of the song.

Back
Top Bottom