North Star confirmed in Transformers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh, Transformers. I haven't seen a single one of those and I have no desire to. Not even on my death bed, especially on my death bed.

They should have put it in Mission Impossible, what is it 4 now? I just watched the trailer for that and it's good. That has Eminem. Can't help it, I love those movies.

Can't tell enough about the song from that short clip

I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

Wait, what? There's a U2 song in that clip?

Eh - can't really tell from that. It does sound like it's about to begin beating you on the head at any second. So, perhaps Bomb-ish, yes. THIS! IS! OH! SO! EMOTIVE! GET! IT! IN! TO! YOU! SO! SINCERE! RIGHT! HERE!

It's very weird to drop a random song on a film like this. Winter was a specially written song that nearly made the album, made for a very good and respectable film by a great director who is also a close friend of the band. It all made perfect sense - and it was a small film, so it wasn't a pure marketing thing either, so that it in the end wasn't on No Line didn't really matter. But you put a song on a shitty film like this ONLY because of it's ability to push said song wide, and thus an album as well. Really, really strange thing to do with a song that has no album, evidently no release. I can't even imagine how that conversation would have gone.

the movie has been finished for a while just waiting for a summer release date, maybe they gave the song still thinking about new album in May and this was going to be a "teaser" for the 2nd single :shrug:

I actually really like this version - it really brings the song to life in a way i feel the stripped down style failed to do.

However, i can't help but think it sounds quite 'bubblegum' and cheesy. I don't particularly mind that - u2's cheesy songs are still really good - but i much prefer their music when its less... sugar coated. The 00's era seemed to be the decade of bubblegum pop u2 songs, and with NLOTH they seemed to be stepping out that style, and i'm hoping the next album is darker or more understated when it comes to the emotions. North Star seems like a quintessential 00's era u2 song, so for me its a step back.

If delaying the album to (at least) 2012 means the band has dropped and will move past the 00's era style 'pop rock' songs, then i think it will be worth it :up:

I actually really like this version - it really brings the song to life in a way i feel the stripped down style failed to do.

However, i can't help but think it sounds quite 'bubblegum' and cheesy. I don't particularly mind that - u2's cheesy songs are still really good - but i much prefer their music when its less... sugar coated. The 00's era seemed to be the decade of bubblegum pop u2 songs, and with NLOTH they seemed to be stepping out that style, and i'm hoping the next album is darker or more understated when it comes to the emotions. North Star seems like a quintessential 00's era u2 song, so for me its a step back.

If delaying the album to (at least) 2012 means the band has dropped and will move past the 00's era style 'pop rock' songs, then i think it will be worth it :up:

wait. is the whole song leaked now?

have you found THE CUBE?!?!??!

the movie has been finished for a while just waiting for a summer release date, maybe they gave the song still thinking about new album in May and this was going to be a "teaser" for the 2nd single :shrug:

I did think of that. But North Star? RedOne? If this were Something New and Danger Mouse, then that's the obvious conclusion. So I suppose that could lead to another possibility... They lined something up for this assuming the timing would be good, then canned the work for later, pulled that song (an unheard, DM produced single) and threw them this one as a bone?

I did think of that. But North Star? RedOne? If this were Something New and Danger Mouse, then that's the obvious conclusion. So I suppose that could lead to another possibility... They lined something up for this assuming the timing would be good, then canned the work for later, pulled that song (an unheard, DM produced single) and threw them this one as a bone?

Or maybe they were going to release a mish-mash of the best songs from the sessions combined, a few from RedOne here, a couple Danger Mouse there, some Songs of Ascent here, Boy Falls from the Sky and viola - U2 2011 record, with North Star being big summer single No. 2 off the album with omg! RedONE!

I still do believe that if a record came out this year, it would have been 3-4 songs from each session strung together.

Saw the movie.. It was pretty good. The song sounded alright, nice production very mid-00s sounding. It would be nice at first, but I'd grow tired of it after a while.

This could be a bad sign, as in the band aren't going to use this song on an album and just did the musical equivalent of taking it to Goodwill.

This could be a bad sign, as in the band aren't going to use this song on an album and just did the musical equivalent of taking it to Goodwill.

why is that a bad sign? I've always though just releasing the RedOne songs as part of a 360 EP or standing alone or as a bonus track or whatever was a good idea, and let them focus on Danger Mouse sessions for the next record.

How on earth are people thinking they can tell anything from this song?

There's too much talking, and all of what... 2 chords played on a piano? Seriously people are blowing a nut over this?

From what it sounds like on the tour, I am as excited as anyone to hear the full version, but come on guys, mountains and molehills and all that

How on earth are people thinking they can tell anything from this song?

There's too much talking, and all of what... 2 chords played on a piano? Seriously people are blowing a nut over this?

From what it sounds like on the tour, I am as excited as anyone to hear the full version, but come on guys, mountains and molehills and all that

I don't disagree with your assessment whatsoever, but if you listen to the German clip of it you can hear a little more of the song - some guitar, piano, drumming and Bono singing the first verse. It took me a minute to realize that's what people were referring to, and not the version in English with the piano only.

Just a theory:

They pulled the song from the soundtrack AND movie, but they forgot to pull it from the early versions sent to Germany to be dubbed in German. Or it was simply too late and U2 accepted it. I think it's a mistake and the song is not really meant to be there, because there is no U2 album out!

I think the piano in the English version is a replacement, not U2.

Is it not unusual to use different scores for different countries? I've never heard about it. But never really thought about it. I hate when movies are dubbed. We don't do that in Denmark, only for children's and animated movies.

Has anyone noticed that before in other movies?

Just a theory:

They pulled the song from the soundtrack AND movie, but they forgot to pull it from the early versions sent to Germany to be dubbed in German. Or it was simply too late and U2 accepted it. I think it's a mistake and the song is not really meant to be there, because there is no U2 album out!

They did that with Don't Come Knockin'. It seems they didn't have time to finish the track so only 30 appeared in the movie.

Just a theory:

Is it not unusual to use different scores for different countries? I've never heard about it. But never really thought about it. I hate when movies are dubbed. We don't do that in Denmark, only for children's and animated movies.

You raise an interesting question.
Can anyone confirm that the english version has North star in it?

david said:
I read somewhere that it was in the credits and the song was indeed produced by RedOne?

Yup, that's what folks who've seen the preview are saying.

Ok, I finally listened to the German YouTube clip, and it seems to be a completely different song---or at least a completely different section of the song--than the English version. Hence my confusion & probably that of a few others.

That weird bow bow bow ("for my love?") effect that plays a few times almost seems like a hint of "Take My Breath Away" from Top Gun.

Finally listened to the German version....

This is something the Goo Goo Dolls would be proud of.

While the verses of NS aren't their best work ever, the whole song and especially the chorus have a gorgeous melody. But the fact that this 'released' version is produced by Red One may be an even bigger WTF than it being in Transformers.

So what's the likelihood of this song surfacing in its entirety? Must our only source of listening to "North Star" be a 60-second rip from Transformers 3?

If this is what his sessions sound like? Crisis averted. I just assumed since Bono linked NS with Songs of Ascent that it would have been done by Lanois/Eno.

Back
Top Bottom