No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,862
Local Time: 08:09 AM
there is a lot to like about Unknown Caller but yeah, the lyrics are pretty clunky.
__________________

elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 25,461
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Too bad Bono wasn't ahead of time with his lyrics on Unknown Caller

Open. Camera. Panorama Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh
3D Touch. Retina. Nightshift Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh
Unlock. By fingerprint.
__________________

mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Too bad Bono wasn't ahead of time with his lyrics on Unknown Caller

Open. Camera. Panorama Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh
3D Touch. Retina. Nightshift Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh
Unlock. By fingerprint.
As an Apple insider and FOS, Bono had access to advance protypes of Apple tech.

Remember that story of the lost iPhone protype that ended up in the hands of a tech mag, that was scapegoated on a "careless Apple employee"? It was found in a bar. Where does Bono hang out in his free time?

Put the pieces together.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 28,861
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
As an Apple insider and FOS, Bono had access to advance protypes of Apple tech.

Remember that story of the lost iPhone protype that ended up in the hands of a tech mag, that was scapegoated on a "careless Apple employee"? It was found in a bar. Where does Bono hang out in his free time?

Put the pieces together.
If it had been found in a restaurant, we could convict him.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 25,461
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
As an Apple insider and FOS, Bono had access to advance protypes of Apple tech.

Remember that story of the lost iPhone protype that ended up in the hands of a tech mag, that was scapegoated on a "careless Apple employee"? It was found in a bar. Where does Bono hang out in his free time?

Put the pieces together.
Did that phone have the long lost October lyrics on it?
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Did that phone have the long lost October lyrics on it?
No. Those were taken by Pete the Chop.

Do try to see the big picture, mikal.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #82
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 25,461
Local Time: 07:09 AM
DO try.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 39,646
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
  • Moment of Surrender is U2's best song since Streets.
  • NLOTH (the song) is one of their best of the 00's. The production on that track is extraordinary.
  • Fez-Being Born is lovely. Wonderful hearing something like that from U2.
  • Breathe, Magnificent and yes the undeservedly maligned Boots are solid, but not extraordinary, U2 tracks.
  • Unknown Caller doesn't deserve the hate it gets around here. I like it, even if the lyrics are bit clunky. I think Bono was trying to make a commentary on how ways we interact have changed.
  • White as Snow & Cedars are pleasant, if unremarkable. I don't give either much thought.
  • Crazy and SUC are definitely the weak links are, and the record would have been better of without them.

I agree with those who think MOS should have been the single. Yeah, it's not radio friendly, and a lot of people would not have known what to make of it, but I frankly don't think it would have impacted sales much and I think it would have been offset by getting much more favourable press than Boots.

It's a better, more ambitious record than SOI. It's evolutionary from where U2 was with the previous two records. It was U2 trying to do albeit in a compromised way, what everyone say they want U2 to do. And while SOI lacks NLOTH's clunkers, it also doesn't have anything that touches that record at its best.

U2 is not the same band without Brian & Danny.
I agree with almost all of your No Line notes. The problem with Boots for me is that it doesn't really fit. As a track itself I don't mind it and love the chorus and the bridge.

I don't mind the group "oh" singing on Unknown Caller, either, but yes the chorus lyric is awkward. More painful was Bono trying to get stadium crowds to sing along with a song that clearly was not one of those types.

I'd disagree about SOI not having the same peaks, though. Those final 3 tracks and Wolves I think are pretty damned stellar and show some new colors we hadn't seen before from the band. As well as proof that a whole album produced by Danger Mouse may have approached an Eno/Lanois collaboration.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #84
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,296
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
No. Those were taken by Pete the Chop.

Do try to see the big picture, mikal.
Whatever happened to that guy?
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #85
War Child
 
Mac_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 529
Local Time: 07:09 AM
I think NLOTH is the best produced of all U2 albums thus far, even if it's not their best collection of songs.


My summation of said collection: Breathe is the best, MOS honorable mention. The rest are good to great (I happen to love Boots).


Only song I didn't like: Stand Up Comedy.
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Those final 3 tracks and Wolves I think are pretty damned stellar and show some new colors we hadn't seen before from the band. As well as proof that a whole album produced by Danger Mouse may have approached an Eno/Lanois collaboration.
You're right. There are some really good, powerful tracks on that record....Iris comes to mind. It's a quality, modern sounding record that lacks NLOTH's unevenness.

But for me there's something missing on SOI that prevents the songs from jumping from the merely good to great. I don't know if it's over produced, or over thought, but it just feels to me like it's the product of a long and lengthy compromise period by a group of musicians with unlimited resources. It's technically fine, and better than pretty much what any other rock band of U2's age would be capable of producing, but it lacks spark and (ironically given the subject matter) feels uninspired. At least to me.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 4,491
Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
You're right. There are some really good, powerful tracks on that record....Iris comes to mind. It's a quality, modern sounding record that lacks NLOTH's unevenness.

But for me there's something missing on SOI that prevents the songs from jumping from the merely good to great. I don't know if it's over produced, or over thought, but it just feels to me like it's the product of a long and lengthy compromise period by a group of musicians with unlimited resources. It's technically fine, and better than pretty much what any other rock band of U2's age would be capable of producing, but it lacks spark and (ironically given the subject matter) feels uninspired. At least to me.
I don't disagree here. i do think that as an entire work, i like SOI better than any other post 2000 album. Although it does feel a bit like each song was kind of done in isolation, where UF, JT, AB, Zoo, even ATYCLB and POP sort of feel like they are a group of songs that were created in a certain "moment" or atmosphere...

That is my hope for SOE, that hopefully by they got that from SOI as well, which is why we heard about them going back in and recording some live elements. Keeping it a bit more loose, and hopefully, capturing a "feeling" that permeates the entire album. Fingers crossed.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 4,491
Local Time: 12:09 PM
Just for kicks.

Post 2000 album rank for me:

1. SOI
2. NLOTH
3. ATYCLB
4. HTDAAB
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #89
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,496
Local Time: 05:09 AM
I really like Unkown Caller.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #90
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,467
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
there is a lot to like about Unknown Caller but yeah, the lyrics are pretty clunky.
The lyrics over all have to be the album's weakest aspect to me. The whole writing songs from the POV of different characters just doesn't translate. With the exception of the middle three, they did succeed in creating a cool atmosphere. Fortunately, they turned it around on SOI and delivered some of their best lyrics in ages. Say what you will about the production, but the lyrics were on point.
__________________

superchuk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com