No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #31
45:33

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It really isn't though. It seems as if the vast majority of EYKIW ranks SOI ahead of it although, who knows, maybe the honeymoon phase for that album has ended. I'm not about to run another series of polls to find out.
I haven't noticed this, but I don't frequent EYKIW regularly and I haven't visited the sub-forum in several years, so maybe I'm off the mark.

Quote:
Passengers is underrated but the reasons for underrating it are idiotic and don't have all that much to do with music. Essentially, U2 sycophants are freed from their obligation to kiss ass because of the name technicality, allowing them to file the album as some failed Eno project. If it had been released as a U2 album, it would be as well regarded around here as Pop.
Totally agreed, although it definitely can't go pound-for-pound for Pop imo.

cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
some of NLOTH's tracks just smack of a band recutting the songs hundreds of times (Magnificent, Unknown Caller, Boots, Breathe, even Moment of Surrender, great as it is, feels a bit staid).
Moment of Surrender was famously done in one take, though?

Whatever minor tweaks were added certainly doesn't equal "hundreds of times".

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Haven't posted in ages but thought I'd chime in and say that I enjoy the last 4 albums a ton. Though I haven't listened to an individual album front to back in ages. My biggest gripe with U2 since the 90's has been the odd one or two really bad moments on each of the last four albums that have ruined an otherwise decent to great experience.

I have 3 playlists with about 10 tunes each that fit a different mood. The playlists in some ways feel more much cohesive than the albums themselves. One is Soulful/pop, one is more atmospheric/modern and the other is flat out Rock. A highlight for me is hearing Iris, New York, One step closer and Fez next to each other.

I wish they'd be more prolific and brave with their releases but they've had some very nice moments at a time when most bands are done for. Anyhow, NLOTH deserves another chance from me... will listen tonight.
U2FAN4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 PM
Decided to give this album a spin today. Yep. Cwazy Tonight and SUC are by far the two worst songs in U2's catalog (of songs that are considered A-Sides).

Enjoying the rest of the album though. I don't know. It's still hard to top the last 5 of SOI, but I will say that NLOTH and Fez-Being Born top any song on SOI as far as individual songs go.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Decided to give this album a spin today. Yep. Cwazy Tonight and SUC are by far the two worst songs in U2's catalog (of songs that are considered A-Sides).

Enjoying the rest of the album though. I don't know. It's still hard to top the last 5 of SOI, but I will say that NLOTH and Fez-Being Born top any song on SOI as far as individual songs go.
This is the feeling I always get. For me, NLOTH (song), Fez and even Magnificent are top tier U2. MOS, Breathe and Cedars also strong. But I always find myself skipping about 4 songs on No Line, where i only skip 1 sometimes on SOI.
I listened to some of SOI a couple days ago and damn if I wasn't really impressed. In fact Iris grew more on me, still think EBW is a really special song, and SFS, although the one song i sometimes skip, isn't "bad".
It's just a strong album, that i think if people listen to it away from expectation and what they think about last minute producers and delays and all that stuff, is a great album from them.

ps. - also listened to Crystal Ballroom again, and I truly think that it could have been a hit for them. Just love that song.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
I like Crazy Tonight.

There. Someone had to say it.
Which is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Listening to a few NLOTH songs right now. Fez is absolutely phenomenal, as is Cedars of Lebanon. That's the type of shit I want an album of from modern-day U2.
You must love your sleep then.

All joking aside, I'm actually someone that really likes Beach Sequence too. And Fez isn't too bad on the occasional listen that i give it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall faulk View Post
The middle 3 are the sound of U2 being desperate for a radio hit and are very weak. I consider Unknown Caller to be one of the worst U2 songs of all time, essentially unlistenable.

Breathe, NLOTH, Magnificent and MOS are solid to very good U2 songs.
Those are the only four I ever really come back to. Or even Unknown Caller also on my end, mostly due to the instrumentals going on.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

I seriously forgot MOS is right there as track 3. NLOTH has some odd sequencing.
david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
This is the feeling I always get. For me, NLOTH (song), Fez and even Magnificent are top tier U2. MOS, Breathe and Cedars also strong. But I always find myself skipping about 4 songs on No Line, where i only skip 1 sometimes on SOI.

I listened to some of SOI a couple days ago and damn if I wasn't really impressed. In fact Iris grew more on me, still think EBW is a really special song, and SFS, although the one song i sometimes skip, isn't "bad".

It's just a strong album, that i think if people listen to it away from expectation and what they think about last minute producers and delays and all that stuff, is a great album from them.

ps. - also listened to Crystal Ballroom again, and I truly think that it could have been a hit for them. Just love that song.

Yeah agreed. Song For Someone gets a really bad rep here. I'm in agreement that it's not a great song or anything but after listening to Crazy and SUC, I can definitely say I've heard worse than SFS.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Sometimes i just get mad listening to Unknown Caller and Stand Up Comedy. I just shake my head and wonder what they hell were they thinking... Crazy and Boots are not far behind.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Yeah agreed. Song For Someone gets a really bad rep here. I'm in agreement that it's not a great song or anything but after listening to Crazy and SUC, I can definitely say I've heard worse than SFS.
Correct. SFS is much better than those, and Boots and UC. Just listened to Boots again. Jesus Christ. embarrassing.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

The band during the recording of SUC:

- I know "For Your Love" is really good, but let's make it bigger!

- Edge. Give us more Zepplin.

- Oooh. Have you guys heard that "I'm a bitch" song?

- ooh. Maybe make the guitar solo sound like something from Achtung.

- but please bring it back to Zep.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Hmm. I think MOS is the best "official" thing they've released from 2000- (I'd put only Mercy above it). And I admire Fez being on the abstract side and not being any kind of verse-chorus-verse format. I also love the title track for its writing and being an actual album introduction as opposed to a leadoff single like the 3 albums before it and the one following it. But I'd put Reach Around over both of those last two. Such a bouncy track that has great autobiographical content.

It's so disappointing how it wasn't even given a chance on tour. What a big tumble from originally opening the album.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #43
The Male

Unknown Caller is a far more interesting and worthwhile track than Song for Someone. Virtually everything bad about 21st century U2 is contained in SFS, it's just missing an overproduced rock section.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Unknown Caller is a far more interesting and worthwhile track than Song for Someone. Virtually everything bad about 21st century U2 is contained in SFS, it's just missing an overproduced rock section.

I'd actually replace SFS with Crazy Tonight in your statement above. At least SFS has an autobiographical story to it.

I will agree that Unknown Caller is much more interesting.

Overall though, the hate for SFS is out of control a bit. Not an offensive song at all.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonmelon View Post
virtually everything bad about 21st century u2 is contained in sfs,
qft

Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote