No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #166
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:54 AM
WAS is absolutely beautiful, Winter was just average.

BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #167
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Winter starts off so good...great mood. Love the simplicity of Edge over those chords. Bono is a little warbly but it's ok.

You can tell there was almost a U2 classic in there somewhere but it just doesn't get there.

Strings sound like a synth. Should have been live.

The transition to the chorus is terrible. And the chorus itself not great. It's very comparable to Levitate in this way.

Contrast the transition in OG Mercy, which is great...but cut from the later live versions.

The inverse would be the clunky riffy poo of Xanax verses exploding into the great chorus...and then they improved the verse music and deflated the chorus with Fast Cars

U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #168
45:33

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Pop is the most underrated, so stop all this bullshit, end of story
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #169
Refugee

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
For an album that's supposedly underrated, it sure seems to get a lot of love around here. For what it's worth, I've listened to it more than JT...

I still remember getting the cassette the day it dropped and going into my family business after hours to listen to it. Lights off and no one else in the building...around 8PM....with cars passing by...I wasn't entirely sure what to make of it at first (much like AB). I soon realized how remarkable and extraordinary an album it really was.

Looking at the tracklisting now and I can't find one song I wouldn't listen to.
redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #170
Acrobat

Quote:
Pop and NLOTH are very similar in a way, at least to me. Conceptual albums that were compromised by the band's fear that the general public wouldn't "get" it, culminating in some stellar, some abhorrent, but mostly good tracks that felt disjointed as assembled. I will say that my edited NLOTH grabs me more than Pop, partly because Pop is just so ridiculously long and partly because NLOTH's B-sides are largely originals vice remixes ("Holy Joe" and a few others aside).

All told, I'll argue that NLOTH is more underrated because I think a lot of people shot it dead after the first single, whereas Pop got some life from Discotheque and LNOE/IGWSHA, particularly in Europe. It took 360 for people to revisit NLOTH, and many never did.

Oh, and as much as i hate Boots and SUC, I'll forever consider Playboy Mansion and Miami worse.
HansaTonImbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

To those who don't like Miami, listen to the live version from Leeds. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't change their opinion at least a bit on it.
kabigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #172
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
To those who don't like Miami, listen to the live version from Leeds. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't change their opinion at least a bit on it.
Oh the live version was killer. I just don't think the live version of Miami can atone for its lyrical sins the way the live version of Boots did, at least in my opinion.
HansaTonImbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #173
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansaTonImbiss View Post
Pop and NLOTH are very similar in a way, at least to me. Conceptual albums that were compromised by the band's fear that the general public wouldn't "get" it, culminating in some stellar, some abhorrent, but mostly good tracks that felt disjointed as assembled. I will say that my edited NLOTH grabs me more than Pop, partly because Pop is just so ridiculously long and partly because NLOTH's B-sides are largely originals vice remixes ("Holy Joe" and a few others aside).
This is quite an astute likening. I don't think there's one abhorrent track on Pop, though...and think it's the more daring and complete album.

All told, I'll argue that NLOTH is more underrated because I think a lot of people shot it dead after the first single, whereas Pop got some life from Discotheque and LNOE/IGWSHA, particularly in Europe. It took 360 for people to revisit NLOTH, and many never did.

Quote:
Oh, and as much as i hate Boots and SUC, I'll forever consider Playboy Mansion and Miami worse.
I'd flip that, personally. I'm not that guy posting "U2 Wrote Miami" all over youtube but I always enjoyed that track. It really is a fun and twisted listen when you're on vacation in sunny places...even Miami

Playboy Mansion is U2 writing about modern themes without trying too dang hard...and I always get a kick out of it. It's breezy!
redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #174
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Playboy Mansion and Miami are awesome together.
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Did bono always say petrol rather than gasoline on live versions of miami? This keeps me awake at night.
kabigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #176

Quote:

Completely disagree. I don't see any compromise on Pop. I have never believed this bullshit that it's "unfinished" or whatever, it's perfect as it is. It flows very well.

Quote:
Oh the live version was killer. I just don't think the live version of Miami can atone for its lyrical sins the way the live version of Boots did, at least in my opinion.
Miami and The Playboy Mansion are both excellent songs. Miami in particular is a great song. Comparing them to Boots is asinine; the difference is that with Boots it was Bono trying incredibly hard to write a carefree, throwaway rock track. On Miami he didn't have to try so hard, he just wrote a fun dumb throwaway song and it's natural and it works. You can hear the tongue in his cheek on both songs.

There's no cheek in Boots, or anywhere on NLOTH. That's Bono trying so hard. He never used to have to try that hard. That's what makes Pop great.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #177
Refugee

Playboy Mansion and Miami have great music, lyrics not so much.

WAS is a beautiful song.
brooklynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #178

I will take the lyrics of Playboy Mansion and Miami over the pap of Magnificent, Unknown Caller, eight days a fucking week.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #179
Refugee

Quote:
I will take the lyrics of Playboy Mansion and Miami over the pap of Magnificent, Unknown Caller, eight days a fucking week.

Unknown Caller, absolutely. Atrocious lyrics.

Magnificent? I'm one of the few who love the song.
brooklynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #180

It sounds nice, but that shouldn't fool anyone. It's weak AF