Nme rides again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wait just a minute. wasnt magnificent the golden single which would elevate the record skyhigh according to 87% on interference? this just reafirmes the "fact" that they are not the most popular band anymore. well it was supposed to happen one day and who cares... they did a great job, had an INCREDIBLE career. That they are still selling as much as they do is a testimony how great they are and have been but I really do think that after this tour it is time to pass the torch..:up:

The ass-kissing of the mainstream media toward the band doesn't match the public perception of U2 anymore.

In that regard,Lewis as a good point.

Interesting that there's no mention of NLOTH being the biggest selling album of the year; would've ruined his argument I guess. :shrug:

I'm always leery about people who use the term "mainstream media"...

I always thought NME was mainstream music media. :huh:

And aren't UK music mags, etc. famous for being hyper critical (except of their current darlings?)?

I had to snicker at some of the comments that pointed out (some quite entertainingly) that NME had give both NLOTH and Green Day's newest (which this article also bashes), excellent reviews. :lol:

wait just a minute. wasnt magnificent the golden single which would elevate the record skyhigh according to 87% on interference? this just reafirmes the "fact" that they are not the most popular band anymore. well it was supposed to happen one day and who cares... they did a great job, had an INCREDIBLE career. That they are still selling as much as they do is a testimony how great they are and have been but I really do think that after this tour it is time to pass the torch..:up:

Pass the torch...to who?? Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga?? Truth is, U2 is the last of the greats....the music industry is changing big-time, it's sad.

Sales and popularity are driven by many things.
Somewhere near the bottom of that list is "quality of music".

What good are sales figures as an indicator of anything when we are in the midst of the height of the Entitlement Generation? It's hard to count the purchases of thieves.
I don't mean that from a moralistic view, just sheer logic.

You can't tell how popular anything is anymore. From album sales to television ratings.
The paradigm is different, some people in the media need to wake up to this fact.

Besides, being popular doesn't mean anything more than being popular.
Look at the fucking charts. Does U2 want to 'rub shoulders' with those artists?
Well they used to, if anything maybe that changes now.

When U2 is shut out at the Grammy's it won't mean anything either but some hack knob will write about how it's an indicator of something, as if it were 1989 instead of 2009.

Of course listening to today's modern music, even the good shit, I sometimes wonder if it isn't the 80's all over again.

Pass the torch...to who?? Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga?? Truth is, U2 is the last of the greats....the music industry is changing big-time, it's sad.

Last time someone tried to put U2 down this happend:
bono_coldplay.jpg

And aren't UK music mags, etc. famous for being hyper critical (except of their current darlings?)?

I had to snicker at some of the comments that pointed out (some quite entertainingly) that NME had give both NLOTH and Green Day's newest (which this article also bashes), excellent reviews. :lol:

Specially NME, the journalist are very rude sometimes, the prize took the journalist who wrote an realy awful article about The Shamen when their basist died after he smashed his head in a rock after been sucked in a sea current while swiming. Later NME offerd the mainman in The Shamen to write in the magazine he thoughts around the article but he didnt want to...
After that NME contunie to act very rude to the band.

DSC00042.JPG

The NME is infamous for petty spats - i.e. the great Morrissey drama after he refused to be their artist of the year (or something like it, can't remember the exact title) a few years in a row, and then the whole 'Morrissey's racist!' scoop. Which was hardly a scoop but, in that particular case, an example of shoddy misrepresentative journalism.
I haven't read it for years. The Observer music monthly's where it's at.

Please "Enlighten" Me

Can someone RATIONALLY explain what the "beef" exactly is that the British media has with U2?

I can't figure it out. :hmm:

The thing that really p*sses me off about all this is the money that I've given to music mags like NME through the years for their articles on U2.

They don't mind making money off the group, do they?

I don't find these articles amusing.:angry:

All the Best, debbie :wink:

Specially NME, the journalist are very rude sometimes, the prize took the journalist who wrote an realy awful article about The Shamen when their basist died after he smashed his head in a rock after been sucked in a sea current while swiming. Later NME offerd the mainman in The Shamen to write in the magazine he thoughts around the article but he didnt want to...

DSC00042.JPG
I've got that NME, must've bought it for teh Mondays article....

At the end of the day, U2 aren't invincible.

I love them to bits, but I think they've made some pretty piss poor decisions over the years - musically - subjective, but commercially - indefensible.

DSC00042.JPG

Don't be too upset. I was a Shaman fan. Their first hit 'move any mountain' didnt happen till after the guy died, which he performed in. Following his death they had a completely new front man to the band, and it was then they had the majority of their hits. You could argue they should have quit when it happened, but they didn't. There's not just one side to every story.....

Don't be too upset. I was a Shaman fan. Their first hit 'move any mountain' didnt happen till after the guy died, which he performed in. Following his death they had a completely new front man to the band, and it was then they had the majority of their hits. You could argue they should have quit when it happened, but they didn't. There's not just one side to every story.....

Lets say I know more then one story, I have over 150 records with them :) That song wasnt the first hit, Hyperreal was also a top 20 hit, but they where big as a live band before the hits. Just like U2 they changed alot over the years, just listen to their rock songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5OWuPvttGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUC-hFCcJXo

Why the lack of response ?

Can someone RATIONALLY explain what the "beef" exactly is that the British media has with U2?

I can't figure it out. :hmm:

The thing that really p*sses me off about all this is the money that I've given to music mags like NME through the years for their articles on U2.

They don't mind making money off the group, do they?

I don't find these articles amusing.:angry:

All the Best, debbie :wink:

Outside of Ellay's rather obtuse response which did not explain in any specific terms what "bad" decisions that U2 have made in recent years that have upset them, I find it rather revealing that no one will step up and rationally put forward the case of WHY the British media hate U2 so much.

I find it rather revealing because possibly there is NO rational reason for all the negativity toward U2 in the British media. :ohmy:

I am still willing to listen to someone who can logically explain this phenomemnon to me - if anyone can. :sexywink:

And if no one can logically explain all this negativity toward U2, then maybe it's time to just shut up about it?

Please enlighten me, if you can, oh mighty British media. :laugh:

and then the whole 'Morrissey's racist!' scoop. Which was hardly a scoop but, in that particular case, an example of shoddy misrepresentative journalism.
I haven't read it for years. The Observer music monthly's where it's at.

Morrissey isn't racist. :down:

No it proves that rock music isn't what sells singles (better yet ringtones) anymore, especially anything that isn't derivative. The sales for the tour prove their still the biggest act in the world. NLOTH will still be bigger than anything except perhaps Eminem this year, its just a different world for album sales nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom