Nme rides again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Outside of Ellay's rather obtuse response which did not explain in any specific terms what "bad" decisions that U2 have made in recent years that have upset them, I find it rather revealing that no one will step up and rationally put forward the case of WHY the British media hate U2 so much.

I find it rather revealing because possibly there is NO rational reason for all the negativity toward U2 in the British media. :ohmy:

I am still willing to listen to someone who can logically explain this phenomemnon to me - if anyone can. :sexywink:

And if no one can logically explain all this negativity toward U2, then maybe it's time to just shut up about it?

Please enlighten me, if you can, oh mighty British media. :laugh:

Maybe the british media have finally been drinking the Henry Rollins kool-aid concerning U2.

Can someone RATIONALLY explain what the "beef" exactly is that the British media has with U2?

I can't figure it out. :hmm:

The thing that really p*sses me off about all this is the money that I've given to music mags like NME through the years for their articles on U2.

They don't mind making money off the group, do they?

I don't find these articles amusing.:angry:

All the Best, debbie :wink:
The british music media love skinny white indie guys. Hardly U2 :wink:

Isn't the reason the sales are low is because the single has only been released as a download and vinyl so far?

I am still really trying to gather specific info as to why the Brit media despises Bono & U2 so much, either individually or collectively.

This is a research project so I would appreciate any help that I can get.

Thanks. :sexywink:

The nme gave it a good review, but who takes notice of reviews. It was the same as the last Kanye West album. I think it was Word magazine that even wrote an article refering to Kanye's album not being as good as its reviews had suggested and how these releases by big acts gets hyped up in reviews.

Q always rewrites old reviews for albums. In 1997 it gave POP 4 out of 5 stars but in a subsequent review over the bands career it said it had given it only 2 stars. LIE. They do it with all bands, I noticed they did it with Oasis when they were doing a similar review article. They originally gave Be Here Now 5 out of 5 but then said they only gave them 1. FRIGIN' LIE. They then claimed that they gave What's The Story Morning Glory 5 stars when I know they originally gave it 3 out of 5. LIE LIE LIE!!!!

I am still really trying to gather specific info as to why the Brit media despises Bono & U2 so much, either individually or collectively.

Jamila...here in the UK....it has always been fashionable, to knock those at the top of their respective trees. Be it a Sports person/Team, Showbiz Personality, Band or whatever. The press especially like to pick these targets apart!

I don't think the beatles or the stones ever got o,oooooo1% of the bashing that U2 has.

Hey gman, I appreciate your thoughts & your input on this topic but Spoutnik is correct -especially about the Stones!

I mean if there's one group that should have retired twenty years ago - it's them.:ohmy:

They're basically the laughing stock of the music industry for being little more than a greatest hits band yet they don't get 0.0000001% the sh*t that U2 gets in the British media.

So I must respectfully say, gman - there's something more to all this negativity toward
U2 than just "business as usual".

Take good care :hug:

U2's perceived earnestness, certainly that in the early part of their career - which set the tone for the band's perception amongst the public, is the main reason. This is an aspect or attribute which is absent from the British or, and it be better put, English national psyche. It is a component of the Irish national psyche which is why they jar somewhat. Twinned with this is a 'distaste' for Bono for mostly the same reason. In fact, most of the people I have met who have expressed a dislike for U2 have cited their dislike for Bono as the principle reason for this.

In England, U2 is lauded more for the Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop trilogy, and the subsequent tours that followed, than anything else. Their flirtation with irony provided some welcome relief for the musical press in Britain in their coverage of the band.

U2's perceived earnestness, certainly that in the early part of their career - which set the tone for the band's perception amongst the public, is the main reason. This is an aspect or attribute which is absent from the British or, and it be better put, English national psyche. It is a component of the Irish national psyche which is why they jar somewhat. Twinned with this is a 'distaste' for Bono for mostly the same reason. In fact, most of the people I have met who have expressed a dislike for U2 have cited their dislike for Bono as the principle reason for this.

In England, U2 is lauded more for the Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop trilogy, and the subsequent tours that followed, than anything else. Their flirtation with irony provided some welcome relief for the musical press in Britain in their coverage of the band.

jameskinsella, thank you so much for the above statement. You have finally said the words that I have been waiting to hear someone say.

The main "beef" that the British press (amongst other newspapers in the Commonwealth sphere of influence - Aussies, Canadians, etc) is simply that
U2, especially Bono, is

too sincere, too earnest, too optimistic to appeal to their tainted & jaded national points of view!:hmm:

I've always known that U2, especially Bono, has actually NOT done a darn thing to deserve the very nasty & negative treatment that they receive in the Brit press.

It's just that the British ( English?) cultural point of view is to be a bit reserved, a bit skeptical and a bit jaded in their outlook

and anybody who does not share that frame of reference - especially when they're someone like Bono who actually thinks that they CAN change the world and then actually DOES it,

has to be "brought down".:ohmy:

So the Brit media sets about a course to tirade against any good thing that Bono does & tries to implicate him in negative things that he has not done

just because of their own twisted & negative view of life! :doh:

How f*ckin' insane is that? And should that insane point of view continue to be tolerated?

Would we allow that sort of bullying if it was happening to a family member or a friend?

I doubt it.

So why do we allow it to continue against U2 & Bono?:shifty:

No one can give me a good response to my question so I won't expect one.

But I do thank jameskinsella for finally being honest enough to speak the truth that I always knew was there - if someone would simply be honest.

All the best, jameskinsella. :applaud:

Jesus H. The 'Brit media', by and large, not only do not despise Bono and U2 but, au contraire, shill for them.

The second thing is - and this might be shocking to you - Bono and U2 are much, much, much more despised and treated with scorn in the Irish media than the UK. The reasons for this are complex and, yes, there might be some envy in the mix. There might also be the fact that Bono sucks up to the UK establishment at every opportunity, including accepting a knighthood.

I respectfully suggest you find a more productive research project.

The ass-kissing of the mainstream media toward the band doesn't match the public perception of U2 anymore.

In that regard,Lewis as a good point.

Indeed, the public are well tired of Bono's hypocrisy, and justifiably so.

Though in some ways it's a pity most people won't get to hear U2's latest record, as it's really quite decent.

financeguy, for the years that I have known of you in these forums, I have never known you to speak well of anything - but that has just been my experience of you. Maybe you have been positive once or twice. :lol:

I'm completely aware of how the Irish media can treat U2 also so you are not informing me of anything that I didn't already know.

What I have just said about the British media mentality could be extended to Ireland itself since many Irish people still suffer from the colonial experience at the hands of the English.:down:

The issue is still the same - negative viewpoints mean that people will look at those who are positive about life with a jaded lens and thus try to paint anything that they do or say negatively.

Sounds a bit like our discussion, doesn't it, financeguy? :wink:

I will research whatever it is in life that I choose. I do not "suggest" the course of your life so please refrain from knowing anything about mine - because you don't.

I wish you well.

U2 are, more or less, where they deserve to be right now in terms of
public reputation and album sales.

Their current album has sold ok, the second single has been a complete flop.

The third Croke Park gig has failed to sell out, contrary to the spin being put on it by the U2 organisation, assisted by their unpaid acolytes here.

I think all of these things speak to the general public's dissatisfaction with the hypocrisy at the heart of the publicly stated U2 outlook on geopolitics, with the honourable exception of Larry Mullen. We have this guy Bono up there that is lecturing all and sundry on giving Africa a digout, and in the next breath is fraternizing with known war criminals and known imperialists.

Jamila, I agree with you on one thing - there is a valid debate to be had about the influence on colonalism on the Irish national character, but if you're going to ascribe all criticisms of Bono in the Irish media to post-colonialism, well, you're only seeing, at best, half the picture.

U2 are, more or less, where they deserve to be right now in terms of
public reputation and album sales.

The third Croke Park gig has failed to sell out, contrary to the spin being put on it by the U2 organisation, assisted by their unpaid acolytes here.

I think all of these things speak to the general public's dissatisfaction with the hypocrisy at the heart of the publicly stated U2 outlook on geopolitics, with the honourable exception of Larry Mullen. We have this guy Bono up there that is lecturing all and sundry on giving Africa a digout, and in the next breath is fraternizing with known war criminals and known imperialists.

Jamila, I agree with you on one thing - there is a valid debate to be had about the influence on colonalism on the Irish national character, but if you're going to ascribe all criticisms of Bono in the Irish media to post-colonialism, well, you're only seeing, at best, half the picture.

The current album is the biggest seller of 2009 so far. In a 2009 the way CD sales are, that's pretty damn good.

They didn't sellout a THIRD stadium show? OH NOES!!! Once again who else in this market could?

^^^None of this has to do with the public's perception of Bono.

Yes there are those that find any rock star or celebrity who is outspoken about social issues to be hypocritical, and yes Bono probably gets it more than most.

I've seen you try and debate Bono's hypocrocies, you usual bail pretty quickly after you realize you're uninformed. Well so is the case with most of these people.

Is Bono untouchable on his stances? Absolutely not. Is he a saint? Hell no. I just don't find any bit of what you say in this post to be true.

The current album is the biggest seller of 2009 so far. In a 2009 the way CD sales are, that's pretty damn good.

They didn't sellout a THIRD stadium show? OH NOES!!! Once again who else in this market could?

^^^None of this has to do with the public's perception of Bono.

Yes there are those that find any rock star or celebrity who is outspoken about social issues to be hypocritical, and yes Bono probably gets it more than most.

I've seen you try and debate Bono's hypocrocies, you usual bail pretty quickly after you realize you're uninformed. Well so is the case with most of these people.

Is Bono untouchable on his stances? Absolutely not. Is he a saint? Hell no. I just don't find any bit of what you say in this post to be true.

Er, yeah.

financeguy said:
assisted by their unpaid acolytes here

Speak for yourself, man. The "general public" surely doesn't care enough for anything beyond U2's music, that's your own interpretation and projection. People go to concert because they love or like the music, they don't have to like the people behind it. You going on and on about hypocrisy is getting tiresome, it's your OWN way of seing things, don't go and say the "general public" is thinking that way. U2 are still among the top sellers and they are doing remarkably well for a band with a 33 year carreer span. It's always amusing to see how much fans want U2 to be a non-mainstream band and then cannot stop whining if they feel their albums don't sell enough or their singles aren't doing good enough on the radio. Interesting how important mainstream radio suddenly becomes.

It always amazes me how some fans manage to see the negative stuff only. U2 can sell out so and so many concerts, still they only see the few seats that may remain unsold. That just isn't healthy.

Your unnatural obsession with the topic of hypocrisy leads to the question if you ever thought about your own hypocrisy. People always pointing the fingers to others are always suspicious. Bono has said numerous times that he isn't perfect and that he realises there is a dark side to him and that there are mistakes and hypocrisy. How about thinking about your own shortcomings before throwing the first stone?

BVS, I agree with you.

And I'm confident that Bono is serious enough about the issues he's campaigning and fighting for to stand above the jealousy and childish critisicm of some people and certainly above the ridiculous attempts of trying to connect his political work and the way people may perceive him in public to U2's music, concerts and album sales. I'm glad he isn't irritated by this but instead does what hebelieves has to be done. There are far more important issues in the world than bickering about a couple of unsold seats at a stadium show.

I think all of these things speak to the general public's dissatisfaction with the hypocrisy at the heart of the publicly stated U2 outlook on geopolitics,
:lol:

yeah, I always reckoned Vertigo's and How to dismantle's success was a direct reflection on the favourable outlook of the general public re. U2's geopolitics :up:

:dancing:

:lol:

yeah, I always reckoned Vertigo's and How to dismantle's success was a direct reflection on the favourable outlook of the general public re. U2's geopolitics :up:

:dancing:

Vertigo and HTDAAB were released well BEFORE Bono took the knighthood and BEFORE there was all the controversy over U2's tax arrangements

U2 did it during the vertigo tour themselves. You'll blame the financial crisis, others will say that U2 has gone through a drop in popularity.

Hard to tell.

U2 did it during the vertigo tour themselves. You'll blame the financial crisis, others will say that U2 has gone through a drop in popularity.

Hard to tell.

Both play a role - but I bet U2 sell out that show as the tour date draws closer.

Vertigo and HTDAAB were released well BEFORE Bono took the knighthood and BEFORE there was all the controversy over U2's tax arrangements

The "controversy" was fabricated by the same media.

What's missing is the details. The bulk of U2's money is made from touring. They cannot escape paying taxes on that. Nor do they escape paying property tax, retail tax or other income tax.

I highly doubt anyone is sitting on the fence about buying the album or attending the show because U2 don't pay taxes on the music they create. And, as we all know, Bono cannot be an "official" knight. But where is the controversy there? Even Bono has poked fun at his charity work.

The reason for the lower sales is multi-faceted. Illegal downloads are rampant. People now buy "disposable" music. Singles rule, not albums - but these days, one doesn't even have to go to a store. It's a quick 99 cent download, nothing tangible about it. This explains why artists with huge hit songs still have poor album sales. Music has become disposable.

Add in the slumping economy, high gas prices, high unemployment and its clear that more and more are cutting back. It wouldn't surprise me if some even encourage illegal downloads as a way to "save money".

Despite all of this, NLOTH is still the #1 album worldwide this year. And while U2 may not have sold out every single show yet, the tour hasn't started. Keep in mind, U2 are selling out stadiums. Coldplay - the act that's supposed to "take over the baton" - cannot sell out arenas.

The majority of the world don't even know or give a shit about his knighthood, and within the small portion that know about U2's taxes, an even smaller amount know enough to really criticize the move.

So I think a lot of this is occuring only in your head.

Hard to tell.

Well, given all of the other factors(such as the album with very little PR is still the biggest seller of 2009), I would say logic would prevail.

I'm not sure I agree with "very little PR".

U2 were all over the place a little while ago on top of the roof of BBC, at Fordham University, a full week on Letterman and countless other of the most widely seen and listened to TV and radio shows.

I'm not sure I agree with "very little PR".

U2 were all over the place a little while ago on top of the roof of BBC, at Fordham University, a full week on Letterman and countless other of the most widely seen and listened to TV and radio shows.

The reason I mentioned it, is that it seems like it's a highly contested issue around here, many think they really dropped the ball this time around when it comes to promoting this album.

Well, given all of the other factors(such as the album with very little PR is still the biggest seller of 2009), I would say logic would prevail.
edit
ybab already brought it up.

Bands would kill to have a week on Letterman, or carpetbombing the BBC with coverage. What would be a lot of PR?

Back
Top Bottom