NLOTH vs. HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is very difficult.

HTDAAB has more memorable melodies and choruses, overall I think the songs are actually better crafted. I don't know why but they are more instantly great and just amazing songwriting. They are at a more classical level of production and songwriting.

NLOTH however is more exciting of an album and more experimental (and successful at that) with the songwriting and production. It feels fresher (and that's not because it's brand new). While NLOTH doesn't have as many memorable melodies and choruses Bono's lyrics here are far better than Bomb, and that's a big deal in my opinion.

I would change the word "memorable" in your post for "catchy". HTDAAB is more catchy. NLOTH isn't. What doesn't matter since it's their best album after JT and AB imo.

I'm happier that I like NLOTH more than HTDAAB, more than anything else. Whether its the "best album EVAR!" or not I dunno, but Im just glad its better than the last effort.

I really felt like I forced myself to like HTDAAB. :slant:

This is for those people in the closed NLOTH vs. VLV thread. The reason I like NLOTH better than Ok Computer is because I'm going to listen to it much more and because I think Thom Yorke needs to see a psychologist because I think he's extremely paranoid and depressive (see Climbing up the walls). U2 is uplifting so even when they have a darker song I don't feel like slitting my wrists. BTW I like Ok Computer a lot. I just can't be happy or sad when I listen to it. If I'm inbetween then I can listen to it.

I don't think Radiohead can do anything as pretty as Fez - Being Born without being morbid/sarcastic/depressing. The band have pretty much said so. It's their schtick just like U2 has a schtick with Catholicism and knees and soul. It's all personal preferences. I happen to think that life isn't just all shit and it can produce a rose once in a while. I call this balance. :sexywink:

This is for those people in the closed NLOTH vs. VLV thread. The reason I like NLOTH better than Ok Computer is because I'm going to listen to it much more and because I think Thom Yorke needs to see a psychologist because I think he's extremely paranoid and depressive (see Climbing up the walls). U2 is uplifting so even when they have a darker song I don't feel like slitting my wrists. BTW I like Ok Computer a lot. I just can't be happy or sad when I listen to it. If I'm inbetween then I can listen to it.

I don't think Radiohead can do anything as pretty as Fez - Being Born without being morbid/sarcastic/depressing. The band have pretty much said so. It's their schtick just like U2 has a schtick with Catholicism and knees and soul. It's all personal preferences. I happen to think that life isn't just all shit and it can produce a rose once in a while. I call this balance. :sexywink:

I LOL at you :lol:

:wink:

Put simply, NLOTH is the U2 I like and HTDAAB is the U2 I don't like. NLOTH not only beats HTDAAB, it pisses all over it.

Song-by-song

No Line On The Horizon > Vertigo
Magnificent > Miracle Drug
Moment Of Surrender > SYCMIOYO
Unknown Caller > LAPOE
Crazy Tonight < City Of Blinding Lights
Get On Your Boots > ABOY
Stand Up Comedy = A Man And A Woman
Fez-Being Born > Crumbs
White As Snow > One Step Closer
Breathe > OOTS
Cedars Of Lebanon > Yahweh

Not a fair fight at all. 9-1 and a draw. Though Crumbs and OSC would win some other match-ups, like I'd take OSC any day over Boots.
Stand up comedy a draw with AMAAW? I think stand up comedy is a lot better. (although a very different song).

Actually I think Thom Yorke has seen several psychologists/psychiatrists in his time. He has admitted to being diagnosed as bipolar.

That doesn't take away from him that he's an absolutely brilliant musician, though. And to be able to put your deepest emotions, feelings and fear into beautiful, effectful, goosebump-inducing music is the task of a music artist. Climbing up the walls is a magnificent example of just that.

Actually I think Thom Yorke has seen several psychologists/psychiatrists in his time. He has admitted to being diagnosed as bipolar.

That doesn't take away from him that he's an absolutely brilliant musician, though. And to be able to put your deepest emotions, feelings and fear into beautiful, effectful, goosebump-inducing music is the task of a music artist. Climbing up the walls is a magnificent example of just that.

Holy shit! That explains everything. :wink:

:lmao:

It's not even a contest. NLOTH pisses all over HTDAAB and gives it a kick in the balls for good measure.

People's excitement over a new U2 album is expected. HOWEVER, you should be careful as your comments are as permenant as this site.

I will say there are some TERRIFIC tracks that people are dismissing off HTDAAB. Yahweh, OOTS, Vertigo, COBL are all great songs.

The difference

I loved HTDAAB. I love NLOTH more. My wife made a great point about the difference. HTDAAB is more raw, rockish sounding, whereas NLOTH is very melodic, inventive, and deep with a classic new sound.

:flirt:

Stand up comedy a draw with AMAAW? I think stand up comedy is a lot better. (although a very different song).

AMAAW is rather under-appreciated really. I rate it fifth best on HTDAAB. It has a nice melody, Bono sings well, and it has some of the album's less bad lyrics. It's I think the one HTDAAB song that has grown on me a little over time.

However, it speaks volumes that I consider HTDAAB's fifth best song merely equal to a song I would rate as the second weakest on NLOTH. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Stand Up Comedy is overall a bad track, but the first two thirds don't excite me that much and some of the lyrics are absolutely cringeworthy - then it hits its quality final third and that really lifts the song a lot.

AMAAW is rather under-appreciated really. I rate it fifth best on HTDAAB. It has a nice melody, Bono sings well, and it has some of the album's less bad lyrics. It's I think the one HTDAAB song that has grown on me a little over time.

However, it speaks volumes that I consider HTDAAB's fifth best song merely equal to a song I would rate as the second weakest on NLOTH. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Stand Up Comedy is overall a bad track, but the first two thirds don't excite me that much and some of the lyrics are absolutely cringeworthy - then it hits its quality final third and that really lifts the song a lot.
Ok, it wasn't my intention to slag off AMAAW as well. I also quite like it but i just think SUC is better. :)

Different records and I enjoy both.

NLOTH > Vertigo
Magnificent > MD
MOS>Sometimes
UC>LAPOE
Crazy<COBL
Boots = ABOY :shrug:
SUC > AMAAW
FEZ > Crumbs
Winter < OSC (for now)
Breathe < OOTS
Cedars > Yahweh

I just listened to HTDAAB for the first time in a year, and I think people over here are just overreacting to a new album. HTDAAB has got some really good tracks on it and I would rate the two albums equally. This album has three extremely weak songs in SUC,Crazy Tonight and Boots. I would say that HTDDAB is consistently better than No Line, but doesn't have a truly great song such as magnificent...

Bomb IS a great album, despite what many hear say, and I think it's wrong to bash it in comparison to NLOTH. Both are great albums. Bomb may be more rockier and more personal in its themes, but NLOTH is a more atmospheric, open album with a better flow. I also think Bomb is a great collection of songs with a couple of good singles, I don't see NLOTH as a single album, but it's a more complete, coherent album. I also don't understand how anyone could say NLOTH is the logical third piece of a U2 trilogy consisting of their last three albums, I honestly don't see it, I think it IS a different direction for U2.

In my humble opinion, I think all of U2's albums are good. If I thought, not. I wouldn't have bought them. My take on it is.....U2 realizes, they have listeners from multiple generations. I think HTDAAB probably appealed more to the younger folks. Where as we older ones, may like the more serious or moody melodies. I have listened to the first four songs on their new album, so far. And I loved the music!

Thanks to U2 for letting us listen. Can't wait to buy the cd!

I haven't even heard NLOTH yet so I'll just make a general comment.

Anybody justifying their opinion or arriving at their decision based on that retarded side by side track comparison is a complete idiot.

That comparison method bases itself on track position. Whereas what you really need to look at is the number of good songs on each album, musical quality, lyrical quality, the overall theme/ feel etc.

Anybody justifying their opinion or arriving at their decision based on that retarded side by side track comparison is a complete idiot.

What has gotten into you lately?

There are nicer ways to phrase your opinion. That's a bit out of line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom