NLOTH songs on next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw LAPOE open one show (May 7 Chicago) and I preferred that to COBL opening. COBL is the more obvious choice as an opener, but there was something appealing about opening the concert on a slightly darker note. First thing you see is Bono and Larry out on the tip of the ellipse, and the song slowly built into an epic finish.

From HTDAAB I predict SYCMIOYO will return, Vertigo will be played in every show, COBL will be played but not always, and really I don't think any others will be played. Maybe AMAAW in the acoustic set, and that's it.

I saw LAPOE open one show (May 7 Chicago) and I preferred that to COBL opening. COBL is the more obvious choice as an opener, but there was something appealing about opening the concert on a slightly darker note. First thing you see is Bono and Larry out on the tip of the ellipse, and the song slowly built into an epic finish.

I was at that show, and I totally agree with you. As the show approached, I was hoping they'd open with LAPOE, and I got my wish. :up:

Yes maybe. But I'd be with you! In the 360 tour dvd just before Sunday Bloody Sunday kicks in Bono sings 'it's not a hill it's a mountain!' Chills every time I hear it. But think the album version played live would win some people over

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I would highly doubt any NLOTH songs get played, especially if the new album is really good, they might just play most of it and then the requisite dozen or so greatest hits....at least in the beginning of the tour.

Quite frankly, the only songs since 1993 I see getting any real spot in rotation are
BD
Stuck (I see them bringing this back)
Gone (a longshot at best)
Vertigo

I would highly doubt any NLOTH songs get played, especially if the new album is really good, they might just play most of it and then the requisite dozen or so greatest hits....at least in the beginning of the tour.

Quite frankly, the only songs since 1993 I see getting any real spot in rotation are

BD

Vertigo

Elevation is always up there, it gets the crowd going. Staring at the sun will feature but not pro dominantly. You might be right, if the album is that good, which we've all heard rumours about, they will play at least 5 new songs from the album maybe more.

Would I be in the minority in saying I absolutely loved Crazy Tonight? Ok so musically it was a bit karaoke but Bono's singing was outstanding.

Crazy was fun, they made the best of that song. Personally, I would love to hear NLOTH return and also Breathe. Still curious what Stand Up Comedy would have sounded like, I have never understood why they didn't at least try to play it.

BD
Vertigo

I was actually just thinking about Gone yesterday. Two whole tours without it. It's time to bring it back.

Still curious what Stand Up Comedy would have sounded like, I have never understood why they didn't at least try to play it.

Apart from my own personal feeling that it's the worst goddamn song they've ever written, I think that song was never even played as a band in the studio; it sounds like a bunch of patchwork and edits of different sections.

I saw both and am in agreement. I think there's no point in wasting a classic track (or an obvious "new classic") on the opener. The audience is going to be stoked for the show to start anyway, so you might as well open with something riskier (like NLOTH or Breathe) and coast off that response. It helps matters that LAPOE was also a killer live track and tour highlight...I preferred it opening also because...

1) It broke up the monotony of that extended war-themed section in the middle of the concert. It was so stagey and something that gets old fast if you attend multiple shows. Having LAPOE open meant that section got trimmed by a song.

2) Better to let City show up later with a lot of built up emotion/energy behind it rather than start the show when everyone is screaming and flashing their cameras.

And for the record, "Streets" opening in the JT tour was probably the dumbest idea ever. It's the sort of track that can re-energize the audience, so why waste that potential on the opener? (Although in all fairness, that album kind of lacks a single song that really works well as a set starter)

And for the record, "Streets" opening in the JT tour was probably the dumbest idea ever. It's the sort of track that can re-energize the audience, so why waste that potential on the opener? (Although in all fairness, that album kind of lacks a single song that really works well as a set starter)

I think it worked well in context, though. At the time, of course, it didn't have the iconic live song status that it does now. That title belonged to Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bad. I'm sure they were just thinking of a new song with a nice build up and Streets fit the bill.

There's really only 2 kinds of openers for U2- come out swinging right out of the gate (Out of Control, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Zoo Station, MOFO) or have a song that changes tempo and builds to set the mood (COBL, Streets, Love and Peace, Breathe to an extent).

By 1987, they had plenty of songs to re energize the crowd throughout.

Fast forward to 2010 when they were considering opening Glastonbury with Streets (before Bono got hurt) and you're 100% right, that would've been stupid. It's considered THE live U2 song and is now an iconic mid to late set staple.

But 1987-1990, when it opened, it worked absolutely fine.

As for NLOTH:

I am surprised by the number of people who think Breathe was a great opener. I saw it and thought it did nothing in that role. I love the song, but not an opener. I even liked Stingray-BD better. For me, Even Better Than The Real Thing blew every opener since MOFO, or maybe even Zoo Station, out of the water.

Think:

Magnificent and MOS.

Magnificent rotating and MOS a likely staple for exactly the reason everyone mentioned- it seems so well loved by the band.

Want:

NLOTH, WAS, Crazy (album version).

Apart from my own personal feeling that it's the worst goddamn song they've ever written, I think that song was never even played as a band in the studio; it sounds like a bunch of patchwork and edits of different sections.

I think you just described Boots. A copy and paste song.

Magnificent = classic, the remix later used in 360 is super!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

What's everyone's problem with boots? It's better than breathe and magnificent! Be surprised if they do any of NLOTH, but I guess they have to really. Shame as it's not a 'stadium' album, more the sort of thing you put on when your entertaining a piece of skirt!

http://m.soundcloud.com/budgetedge

Your all mental. Breathe is a bucket of shite. Boots has a 'zeppelin' feel to it, great guitar riff and feel good tune. Breathe? Makes me want to not draw breath!

Shit tune then and shit tune now. Wasn't even deemed good enough to go on 360 DVD as opening song. U2 realised they'd made the mistake of make breathe the opening song, and cut it in place of....... Boots. Breathe was a 'bonus' track.

Wake up, I thought you people were fans?

Let me be the voice of reason and say both songs suck ass.

1. Boots ain't no Zeppelin. Yeah, the middle breakdown is cool and I can remotely see a "When The Levee Breaks" vibe briefly, but the riff is shit and the overall tune is awful.
2. "Breathe" I hate when U2 plays a tune in 6/8 (except for "Trip Through Your Wires") and this is one of them. There are some strong chord ideas, but man.....the intro comes in, and that fucking Eno piano???? WTF that tramples the whole fucking vibe immediately. Not to mention you can hear the cuts and pastes in the mix as clear as day.
Plus Bono is so fucking out of tune every time he sings the word breathe....

Your all mental. Breathe is a bucket of shite. Boots has a 'zeppelin' feel to it, great guitar riff and feel good tune. Breathe? Makes me want to not draw breath!

Shit tune then and shit tune now. Wasn't even deemed good enough to go on 360 DVD as opening song. U2 realised they'd made the mistake of make breathe the opening song, and cut it in place of....... Boots. Breathe was a 'bonus' track.

Wake up, I thought you people were fans?

Hold on, not all fans have the same opinions, or are subjected to. It shouldn't be a big deal if fans prefer one song or the other, it's natural.

I know this is my 1st post, so its a bit of rambling. So bear with me. ? But I've been reading for a couple months. I just don't think NLOTH is great live material. Magnificent, No Line, Breathe and Crazy remix are all pretty solid. But boots gets pretty lame after about 30 seconds. And I think MOS tries too hard to be epic live and is in fact, a bit boring. However, I'd love to see these songs next tour:
A sort of homecoming
Wild horses
Kite
Mofo
Please
Lemon
Love is blindness
Running to stand still
Exit
And basically anything off of Zooropa or Pop. Heck even Numb or Last Night On Earth. Just something different than the same old same old material being played the last 15 years. Streets, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc are obvious main stayers. But even though songs like SBS are amazing. They've worn out their time. To be honest with you, SBS hasn't even been good live since elevation tour. After they gave it a rest for the last 10 years. And I think that can be said of a number of U2 songs.

Sorry for the rant. At least I gave you some warning. ?

Back
Top Bottom