NLOTH´s real mediocrity trio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a very simple concept regarding the Passengers project. If Passengers was a U2 album then it would say U2 on the cover. Enough said.

600.jpg

It's a very simple concept regarding the Passengers project. If Passengers was a U2 album then it would say U2 on the cover. Enough said.

600.jpg

Yeah, but it's quite obvious that all 4 members are on the album cover. I wish the space suit look had stuck around longer.

Yep.

Eno and Lanois have (seemingly... we don't really know) done good work for U2 over the years, and I like them in general. (Eno's pseudo-brainy "deep" image kind of rubs me the wrong way, however.)

However, the words "rock'n'roll" and "Brian Eno" do not go together. If Eno had met a young Chuck Berry, he'd probably have turned him into Philip Glass.

Inviting your producer(s) into the band as full collaborators & writers is kind of like Martin Scorcese deciding the actors will take over the movie and direct it. However interesting the result, it's not quite a Martin Scorcese movie if Leonardo Dicaprio directed it, now is it?

I think the best move U2 made in many years -- in terms of studio recordings -- is rejecting both Eno/Lanois and Steve Lillywhite as producers of the current stuff.

Come to think of it, why can't U2 just produce an album themselves?

Eno and Lanois will be fine, as long they still have what it takes to push U2 into new teritorry.

Why ? The fact someone else is at the controls might at least push them into conceivable notions of making an album and seeing a release date on the horizon. Edge won't ever let go off the material if they produce alone.

It's simple, Travis, if The Running Man were a Stephen King novel, it would say Stephen King on the cover.

Eno and Lanois will be fine, as long they still have what it takes to push U2 into new teritorry.
As NLOTH proved, they don't.

(I also question Eno's sanity in producing Coldplay. With that move, he basically lost any pretence at "cool" or arty that he'd previously earned, as he cashed that currency check in for money.)
Edge won't ever let go off the material if they produce alone.
I dunno. Didn't he mix Achtung Baby in, like, 12 hours or something?

I also reject this post-80s, superstar-producer notion of a producer "at the controls". The producer's job is to record the music. If the artist isn't at the controls, the artist sucks.

(I also question Eno's sanity in producing Coldplay. With that move, he basically lost any pretence at "cool" or arty that he'd previously earned, as he cashed that currency check in for money.)

I also reject this post-80s, superstar-producer notion of a producer "at the controls". The producer's job is to record the music. If the artist isn't at the controls, the artist sucks.

Talking from my own experience roducer´s job is not to record the music. His task is to bring his own perspective. It means, he sees the song with his own eyes, he sees the weakneses or strengths of it. He can also work on potentially good ideas. He can suggest throwing away what he thinks is unnecessarry, etc. He can be crucial for the final result.

Here's a question. Does the Producer actually hit the "record" button? If not, who does? Is there a "record button" guy?

Here's a question. Does the Producer actually hit the "record" button? If not, who does? Is there a "record button" guy?

That would generally be the audio engineer who is responsible for ensuring that everything technical is set up and ready to go, mics are in place and connected according to the plan laid out by the producer and artist, and that the recording is started before the musicians start playing/singing/rapping, among other tasks. Usually in the past they would also be adjusting levels on the console during the recording, but computers mostly do this according to a set program now as they are faster and more accurate and free up the engineer to monitor other things. Basically they are the producer's assistant/right hand man or woman in the studio, and there can be more than one engineer depending on the size and complexity of the studio and the recording job (clearly, as setting up mics and levels to record a 150-piece orchestra in an amphitheater is considerably different than recording one rapper in a booth).

And for those who think the job of producer really isn't all that important in the scheme of things, I present to you exhibit A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Martin

SOURCE: My stepdad teaches audio recording for TV and radio at the college level.

Well, that may be but they should be around for the final album, if not sooner.

After all these years of relying on other ears for production, why would they go in alone ?

Eno and Lanois went a little further than mere recording. They contribute sonic ideas and on NLOTH acted as co-songwriters.

That would generally be the audio engineer who is responsible for ensuring that everything technical is set up and ready to go, mics are in place and connected according to the plan laid out by the producer and artist, and that the recording is started before the musicians start playing/singing/rapping, among other tasks. Usually in the past they would also be adjusting levels on the console during the recording, but computers mostly do this according to a set program now as they are faster and more accurate and free up the engineer to monitor other things. Basically they are the producer's assistant/right hand man or woman in the studio, and there can be more than one engineer depending on the size and complexity of the studio and the recording job (clearly, as setting up mics and levels to record a 150-piece orchestra in an amphitheater is considerably different than recording one rapper in a booth).

And for those who think the job of producer really isn't all that important in the scheme of things, I present to you exhibit A: George Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SOURCE: My stepdad teaches audio recording for TV and radio at the college level.

:up::up::up:

After all these years of relying on other ears for production, why would they go in alone ?
Fan in 1991: "After all these years of being earnest and serious, why try new styles and Fly sunglasses?"

It's the idea of trying something new. My impression is that U2 are 'molded' a lot by their big-name expensive producers. In essence, they want the producer to be a collaborator and give them help and ideas. I would like to see them do it by themselves. A DIY album, if you will.
Eno and Lanois went a little further than mere recording. They contribute sonic ideas and on NLOTH acted as co-songwriters.
That was probably the main problem with NLOTH.

Just because I'm a sucker, I'll weigh in on the "Is Passengers a U2 album or not?" question. Here's my take on it:

-- There is no definitive answer to these kinds of questions, so arguing about it endlessly is incredibly pointless. Every U2 fan can have his/her interpretation of it, which is fine.
-- Here is my interpretation of it: "U2" is Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry. "Passengers" was Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry (or not), and Eno (anyone else? I don't know...). Anyway, since the band decided Eno was a "member" of Passengers, and the band decided the record wasn't "U2", I therefore don't interpret the album as being by U2.

Before someone chimes in with "But-they-put-Miss-Sarajevo-on-a-U2-album" etc., my point above is about THE PASSENGERS ALBUM only.

Just because I'm a sucker, I'll weigh in on the "Is Passengers a U2 album or not?" question. Here's my take on it:

-- There is no definitive answer to these kinds of questions, so arguing about it endlessly is incredibly pointless. Every U2 fan can have his/her interpretation of it, which is fine.

-- Here is my interpretation of it: "U2" is Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry. "Passengers" was Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry (or not), and Eno (anyone else? I don't know...). Anyway, since the band decided Eno was a "member" of Passengers, and the band decided the record wasn't "U2", I therefore don't interpret the album as being by U2.

Before someone chimes in with "But-they-put-Miss-Sarajevo-on-a-U2-album" etc., my point above is about THE PASSENGERS ALBUM only.

My take is that it is a Brian Eno album featuring U2. I would even agree if someone said Passengers is its own "group"(i.e. Not U2 or an Eno album).

Miss Sarajevo is the only redeeming song from that pile of turds(even My Blue Room is bad, although not nearly as bad as most every other song).

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom