NLOTH leaked one year ago right now :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The late night/early morning February 17/18, 2009. Who could forget it.

This is the leak thread it happened in - "NLOTH: Do You Feel Leaked???? Leak Thread Part XI"

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/nloth-do-you-feel-leaked-leak-thread-part-xi-193633.html

Highlights in case you've forgotten:

7:23PM: LemonMelon starts the thread:

The madness continues.

11:15PM: lortonz - never heard from before or after that night - posts, as his first post ever on this forum, a link to a site containing longer clips of every track on NLOTH than we had previously heard. After literally days of fruitlessly waiting for something, anything, this excites everyone.

This is my first post....

This website has the longest previews of the songs I've heard so far...nearly 1 minute.

Sorry if this was posted before.

U2 : releases : No Line On The Horizon (Digital Album)

11:26PM: AtomicBono is the first person to notice that there is a 'buy mp3' button on the site.

hay guyz

it sez buy mp3

fyi

11:29PM: In a frenzy over the longer clips, no one quite notices what AtomicBono said, so she says it again.

Hay guyz

buy the ablum

im fucking serious

People take notice this time, and a bunch of people start saying to try it:

11:30PM:
Hay guyz

buy the ablum

im fucking serious
Do we have our leak? I don't have a credit card, so I can't.

11:30PM:
Hay guyz

buy the ablum

im fucking serious
Listen to this woman.

Buying each track costs more than it does to preorder the entire album. There could be a difference.

11:31PM:

is it just me or can we buy the mp3's now if we scroll down

get the songs before universal does

SOMEBODY FUCKING BUY THIS ALBUM.

please I am beggin you. :madwife::pray:

11:32PM: adh1542 becomes the forum's guinea pig

Ok, so I just tried to buy the tracks from GET MUSIC and I'M DOWNLOADING RIGHT NOW

ill keep you posted

adh1542 keeps everyone updated with the download percentage as everyone waits(and a couple more people try to download it...popacrobat was the other one I saw).

11:37PM: adh1542's download is complete and he is about to see if it is real. Everyone holds their breath.

Ok, wish me luck

11:38PM: adh1542 alerts everyone that it is indeed real and full.

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then everyone goes nuts. :)

This thread is dedicated to the person who quite possibly lost his/her job over having enabled the 'buy' button, and to lortonz, who still only has two posts from that night, for bringing the site to our attention, to AtomicBono for spotting the buy button, to adh1542 for testing the file for us, and to U2 for making the music.

I still can't believe I managed to avoid hearing anything but GOYB until the album actually came out.

I've never exhibited a greater display of willpower. :lol:

Ha, I remember that night, I went to bed early for once, but woke up around 1 or 2 am, decided to check the leak thread quickly before I went back to bed (I know, how sad that I just had to check before I went back to bed :crack: ), and there it was. Within 20 minutes I had it, and stayed up and listened to it twice before going back to sleep all happy. :love:

Ha, I remember that night, I went to bed early for once, but woke up around 1 or 2 am, decided to check the leak thread quickly before I went back to bed (I know, how sad that I just had to check before I went back to bed :crack: ), and there it was. Within 20 minutes I had it, and stayed up and listened to it twice before going back to sleep all happy. :love:

Went to bed at 9 and woke up at 5 am. Oh dear oh Dear, that was a shock.

Never heard about exactly how everything went down, cool read :up:

I was right there when it all happened. Only time I was happy to be on the West Coast and still awake ha.

And then everyone goes nuts. :)

This is the funniest to go back and read in the thread.

I gotta say, amidst all the madness and stress, it was good times.

Still sounds great, honestly. We all pick at it a bit now, but I really feel it has held up supremely well, boasting probably the best sequencing they've had in ages, brilliant production, and a clutch of great songs, some of the best they've written this decade. Completely worth the wait.

Those leak threads were hell though, especially the few that preceded that one. I can't live, With Or Without Leaks.../dies

I remember coming on the next day (this was before I was aware it leaked) and seeing endless song appreciation threads and feeling half happy/angry. Happy because it finally leaked and angry because I wasn't there to witness the initial mayhem.

:cute:

we're to blame for U2's poor record sales for No Line and subsequently the delay for Songs of ascent. top notch work guys. :)

I wrote that at least two weeks before I heard the album.

This is why I should be writing for Pitchfork.

I'm kinda sad that I missed all the excitement and pandemonium :(

But I'm glad that I didn't hear a single song (except for Boots) until I had the album in my hands :cute:

I too remember that night clearly and fondly. It was just a typical cold winter night at school up in Vermont. I was running out the clock on the week, as the long Presidents' day weekend was coming up. Like many big, momentous things in life, good or bad, this happened on an exceedingly boring, mundane night.

I remember at the time, my guard was way down in terms of expecting a leak. So many times, I had run back to my apartment between classes or at any free minute to check for a leak, not even kicking off my snow covered boots before entering. Finally, I got sick of having pissed off room mates and wet muddy floors, and sick of running back only to find nothing. About a week before this, I told myself "I'll hear it on March 3."

On 2/17, I remember reading a bunch of news sites and talking to my brother and mother on the phone for about an hour combined. When I checked the thread, I expected it to be another quick glance to make sure the world has not stopped and then right back to listening to some older U2 while finishing up my news gathering for the evening.

I came in right at the time we were first alerted to longer clips. I listened to them, and then there was the whole egging on someone to check if it was legit. Once I knew it was, I was extremely excited and though I have no clue how any technology works, I started installing things left and right to get it to download. After about 6 tries, I finally had the full album in hand about 1 AM eastern time if I recall. I listened once and went to bed.

I remember this night as clearly as I do anything in my life, it was my 1st leak thread experience and it made me appreciate just how truly committed and dedicated to U2 we are on this site. Sure we argue, squabble, do petty shit of which I am a full part of many times, but it is times like that night that serve to unite us and remind us why we are all here.

I remember waking up in the morning and finding the file in my mailbox. Someone sent me the album, I was shocked! I still have that original file and listen to it from time to time. After a year, NLOTH is still the U2 album I listen to most.

Yeah, but we got to hear it two weeks early.

True. and I paid for my copy that night too buying it right off of universal, so I was totally legal and totally supporting U2 and Songs of Ascent. The rest of you guys...? The Geico money is watching you when SoA isn't coming out till 2091.

Back
Top Bottom