NLOTH is the sound of replanting The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't personally see that metaphor, but it is a great album!

I don't personally see that metaphor, but it is a great album!

I see it a little. Given U2's output since 1991, with the exception of OS1, this is by far U2's more atmospheric album, reminiscent of TUF. TUF, in a way, was the build-up to JT. So if TUF was like a "planting" of a Joshua tree, then I guess, NLOTH, in some ways, is as well.

The bad part of that analogy is that it makes it sound like a complete regression. And I don't hear that. This is definitely U2 in 2009. So it might be better to say "planting of a Cedar tree". :applaud:

Sounds nothing like Joshua Tree to me. More like Zooropa meets Passengers with drops of All That You Can't Leave Behind.

I would actually call it the sound of "four men gettin high and shooting the other men while they chop down The Joshua Tree"

It does have some of the atmosphere that was on the JT and UF though.

White as Snow, for example, gives me a sense of location. It's cinematic.

I gives me Bob Seeger vibes too for some reason :D Probably the highway reference.

To me this album takes the best bits of TUF, JT, AB, Z and HTDAAB (not so much ATYCLB) and fuses them well.

I hear so much HTDAAB in Crazy Tonight. The SYCMIOYO guitar effect probably add unfairly to that, but it would fit right in there (and probasbly be the 2nd best song on the disc).

TUF is obviously present throughout, but most noticeable on Magnificent and Fez

To me this album takes the best bits of TUF, JT, AB, Z and HTDAAB (not so much ATYCLB) and fuses them well.

:up:

What I hear different is how the songs and melodies are structured. It feels more fresh than anything I've heard recently except Animal Collective.

I love the easy flow that makes you want to listen to it again. The imagery of the sea will fit this zen masterpiece. I will always feel good listening to this record in any mood.

I told my wife last night that it sounds like the Zooropa train hit the UF train head on & ATYCLB showed up to rinse it off :D

When everyone uses not just a different album, but a different COMBINATION of albums to describe a new album, that it's a step forwards.

I told my wife last night that it sounds like the Zooropa train hit the UF train head on & ATYCLB showed up to rinse it off :D

Right. That's what I've been telling my buddies. I've basically been saying it's TUF lyrics with AB/Zooropa music.

I see it as four mean Rattle(-ing) and Hum(-ming) in a bizarre place called Zooropa just as they realize that they cannot forget the Unforgettable Fire. :reject::heart::drool:

And almost every second of it is really awesome, save for the parts of SUC that sound like Jason Mraz.

I think it has the atmosphere of UF then the technical sounds of Zooropa with the listenablity of the last two albums especially compared to UF which i love but get hard after repeat listens

I think we have a Frankenstein creature here. Part of it, reminds me of TJT. The other, a bit of Zooropa w/Achtung Baby eras. The sum of this stuff turns out to be a contemporary effort that has elements of All That You Can't Leave Behind and Bomb.
A great record by all means. U2.:up:

You know I would say that is like UF and JT in that it definatly owns it's own space. it really builds up it's own landscape and takes you there. Sonic Architecture.. and all that cheezy shite. I think, in thiat case, it must have a lot to do with Brian Eno.

that, right there :hyper:. . . good lord I can't wait to hear this album (yes, that's right I am one of only a few on this lovely site who is still holding out for release day) . . . yippity dippity deee :D

You sir are the master of your domain :D

/seinfeld

I'm gonna buy it the day it comes out anyway, but does anyone know where the album is streaming? You can PM me, if you think putting a link up might get messy.

Well, I will see a priest after work, but for now, I think I can handle the guilt. Please, please...

that, right there :hyper:. . . good lord I can't wait to hear this album (yes, that's right I am one of only a few on this lovely site who is still holding out for release day) . . . yippity dippity deee :D

Well, don't think it's another JT. I don't want you to be disappointed thinking it is. Ultimately, you'll form your own opinion. :applaud:

But to my ears, I felt this comment was good:

"Sounds nothing like Joshua Tree to me. More like Zooropa meets Passengers with drops of All That You Can't Leave Behind."

I would argue actually that it also has drops of HTDAAB and TUF.

If anything, it seems more reminscent (IMO) of OS1 and TUF rather than JT. But as it's U2 in 2009, you definitely hear HTDAAB (the experimental parts, like "Love & Peace" or "Fast Cars") in it. Yet, it's still clearly U2 (which is where the ATYCLB part comes in).

It's looking forward while paying respect to the past.

I agree - and I'd say in a "healthier" way. This is U2, but it's not so overtly U2 like "Beautiful Day" was. That is, we won't hear Bono tell that story over and over (and over and over) about how the Edge was playing the BD riff, and U2 almost rejected it and blah, blah. This is U2, but a step forward, with respect to the best parts of their past.

For those who haven't heard NLOTH, but who have heard "Mercy", think that. Now, I know some hate "Mercy" (or the mere mention of that song), but that type of atmospheric, longer song would have blended well with NLOTH (and it's a bit of a shame the final version wasn't included - hopefully we'll get it as a proper b-side this time).

Back
Top Bottom