Next Tour -- Claw / Physical Stage Stuff Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think demand could actually increase, possibly by significant amounts because many will assume that this is The Last U2 Tour --- and they might be correct.

The 'last tour' variable is one I'm hoping U2 addresses before or during the tour... it will change the approach to tickets and vacation planning for some.

This is a really good point. Most music fans (that aren't hipsters) would like to be able to say they saw U2 on their last ever tour. What makes U2 an even bigger attraction is that, after they're gone (assuming they outlive the Rolling Stones), that will effectively be that in terms of the legendary bands. U2 really are the last of the uber rock bands, and we may never see their like again. Look at the generation below them - Coldplay, The Killers, Muse, KoL et al - these bands are already aging and none of them have, or will, touch the heights that U2 did. When the next tour rolls round, I'm willing to bet a significant number of casuals will be thinking along the lines of "Holy shit, this might be my last chance to see U2 in the flesh. I can't miss out on this."

Well, I think it's great that so many here are concerned that every casual fan (if that) who wants to grab a last minute ticket to the U2 show tonight be able to do so. And perhaps demand will still be as high on the next tour as it was on 360. Frankly, we have no idea how well the record will do, how U2 will market the show, etc. At this point it's all speculation. And frankly I don't care about all that.

What I care about is U2 putting on a more intimate show and playing like they mean it, which they've done to great success many times before. I'm more concerned with them putting on a great show for those people who are there rather than packing them in and going through the motions. I understand that they can't play clubs, but they played arenas to great success on Elevation and a good part of Vertigo (and I know stadium shows are unavoidable in some parts of the world), and everyone got on just fine. Any U2 fan who really wants to see them (and can afford it) will be able to get a ticket in an arena tour...including everyone on here. And if some people get shut out, that's how it goes. As I said, there's no human right to see a U2 show.

And frankly, even though I guess it's "expected" of a group of U2's stature, I think their doing another one of these obscene monster spectacles would be a little unseemly. What are they going to do, go "bigger" than 360? They'd just embarrass themselves. And at this point a stadium tour in smaller scale than 360 would look like a let down...you almost have to have all that spectacle if you're going to do a stadium these days to make the ticket prices worth it.

I loved ZOOTV in particular and parts of 360. And God knows Pop needed all that flash to just get people in the doors. And the JT show was one of the best I've ever seen (and that was a pretty stripped down affair, it would never fly today). Stadium shows definitely had there place in U2 history, I'm not knocking them. But I just think it's time for something smaller, and it wont be the end of the world if they go that way. The only real downside I can see to an arena tour is if re-sellers took over the market, and U2 would have to find a way to deal with that if it happened, but I don't think they should base their performance decisions on the business practices of professional scalpers.

Why any serious U2 fan, like I presume most people on here are, would rather see them do one of these huge stadium tours and be packed in with 80-100K+++ other people looking at the band like insects on a matchbox over an arena show is beyond me. It's touching that people are so worried about everyone getting tickets, or U2 making a huge profit...but I just want a good show that's about the music. There's no need to go into a panic about an arena tour...relax, if you're reading this, and you want a ticket you'll be able to get one.

Well, I think it's great that so many here are concerned that every casual fan (if that) who wants to grab a last minute ticket to the U2 show tonight be able to do so. And perhaps demand will still be as high on the next tour as it was on 360. Frankly, we have no idea how well the record will do, how U2 will market the show, etc. At this point it's all speculation. And frankly I don't care about all that.

What I care about is U2 putting on a more intimate show and playing like they mean it, which they've done to great success many times before. I'm more concerned with them putting on a great show for those people who are there rather than packing them in and going through the motions. I understand that they can't play clubs, but they played arenas to great success on Elevation and a good part of Vertigo (and I know stadium shows are unavoidable in some parts of the world), and everyone got on just fine. Any U2 fan who really wants to see them (and can afford it) will be able to get a ticket in an arena tour...including everyone on here. And if some people get shut out, that's how it goes. As I said, there's no human right to see a U2 show.

And frankly, even though I guess it's "expected" of a group of U2's stature, I think their doing another one of these obscene monster spectacles would be a little unseemly. What are they going to do, go "bigger" than 360? They'd just embarrass themselves. And at this point a stadium tour in smaller scale than 360 would look like a let down...you almost have to have all that spectacle if you're going to do a stadium these days to make the ticket prices worth it.

I loved ZOOTV in particular and parts of 360. And God knows Pop needed all that flash to just get people in the doors. And the JT show was one of the best I've ever seen (and that was a pretty stripped down affair, it would never fly today). Stadium shows definitely had there place in U2 history, I'm not knocking them. But I just think it's time for something smaller, and it wont be the end of the world if they go that way. The only real downside I can see to an arena tour is if re-sellers took over the market, and U2 would have to find a way to deal with that if it happened, but I don't think they should base their performance decisions on the business practices of professional scalpers.

Why any serious U2 fan, like I presume most people on here are, would rather see them do one of these huge stadium tours and be packed in with 80-100K+++ other people looking at the band like insects on a matchbox over an arena show is beyond me. It's touching that people are so worried about everyone getting tickets, or U2 making a huge profit...but I just want a good show that's about the music. There's no need to go into a panic about an arena tour...relax, if you're reading this, and you want a ticket you'll be able to get one.

Had to get in a dig at Pop, didn't you?

As for arenas vs stadiums - they both have their pros and their cons:

Arenas:

Pros:
More intimate because the venue is smaller and the furthest seats from the stage aren't as far away as they would be in a stadium

If the stage show is scaled back to accommodate arenas, then it might be easier for the band to mix the setlist up because they wouldn't have to worry as much about the 'show' that goes along with each song(this is the biggest thing to me)

Cons:
The band would have to play more shows than they would on a stadium tour to satisfy demand, and it is unknown if or for how long Bono's voice can hold up on extended stints in one city

The band are known to not like staying in one place for more than 3-4 nights at a time, regardless of Bono's voice or their performance otherwise

It will arguably be more difficult for people to get tickets

Stadiums:

Pros:

The spectacle can be fun to watch

It will arguably be easier for people to get tickets

The band will be able to play to the same number of people in fewer shows

Cons:

People on the upper tiers of a stadium would have to watch the show on a TV screen(personally, I don't see the point in this, for a stadium show, I'm either getting good tickets or I'm not going)

It will be more difficult to mix the setlist up

I'd be more than happy to have the Claw again, but I sense they'll go for something more basic next time. Having only seen U2 once in an arena in 2001 I would like the opportunity again- alas I can't see them doing 8 shows at the O2 instead of two at Wembley Stadium...

there's a post elsewhere with the audience numbers- more people less shows- would you do it differently?

aside from the first show at barcelona where we went with seats I was always lucky enough to be in the gold circle so it always ever felt like an arena show to me

the setlist will always be hits heavy and they've never varied it much so don't see that happening now

I don't think the next tour will be U2's last tour- they've probably got a couple more in them.

Ticket demand in Europe is ALWAYS there. If U2 do arenas in Europe tickets will be difficult to get unless they play 8 nights in the major cities. Even then it could be tough in some cities.

Same for the U.S. but a little different. For example, if they only played 2 or 3 nights in a city like Chicago, getting tickets would be difficult. They would be instant sellouts the day tickets went on sale. If they play their typical 6 shows there, tickets will be available but the shows will still sellout quickly (except maybe a few noisebleed seats). U2 are one of the major live acts who still have a great reputation live. A LOT of people like to go see them or try to see them when they tour just for that reason. That has not changed. Supply and demand. There is still a major demand to see U2 live and 360 did not change that at all.

I highly doubt it. Concerts of major acts still sell out incredibly fast here, especially GA. I'm still trying to get tickets for Muse in June, in the Amsterdam Arena, which is a 60k stadium. The entire field was sold out in an hour or so. U2 usually sells out the field within 30 minutes.

I'm not quite concerned that I can't get any tickets. But I want GA, and that's the first thing selling out. Sure I could go with nosebleeds, but yea, that's not quite what I'd want. So stadiums = bigger fields = more GA available = bigger chance of getting tickets.

I highly doubt it. Concerts of major acts still sell out incredibly fast here, especially GA. I'm still trying to get tickets for Muse in June, in the Amsterdam Arena, which is a 60k stadium. The entire field was sold out in an hour or so. U2 usually sells out the field within 30 minutes.

Well, I suppose The Netherlands (along with Germany, France, and the UK) really is not what I was talking about as much as Southern Europe. I don't see an Athens concert happening again.

Well, I suppose The Netherlands (along with Germany, France, and the UK) really is not what I was talking about as much as Southern Europe. I don't see an Athens concert happening again.

I guess those are the exact areas I was talking about, where ticket demand is always huge for U2. Athens would not have been part of my thought process. I'm talking about cities they play multiple dates even when they are playing stadiums. I'm guessing Italy would be a massive demand as well, as usual, that is southern Europe, right? Imagine that demand if they played arenas in those areas.

Yeah Athens, but also eastern europe like Zagreb were special places. Even Switzerland might not get dates on a smaller show. But in countries like mine, As you sid Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain the demand will always be high. And Scandinavia too, since they usually get few dates, people from Denmark go to Sweden and vice versa.

This is a really good point. Most music fans (that aren't hipsters) would like to be able to say they saw U2 on their last ever tour. What makes U2 an even bigger attraction is that, after they're gone (assuming they outlive the Rolling Stones), that will effectively be that in terms of the legendary bands. U2 really are the last of the uber rock bands, and we may never see their like again. Look at the generation below them - Coldplay, The Killers, Muse, KoL et al - these bands are already aging and none of them have, or will, touch the heights that U2 did. When the next tour rolls round, I'm willing to bet a significant number of casuals will be thinking along the lines of "Holy shit, this might be my last chance to see U2 in the flesh. I can't miss out on this."

How many tours have people been saying will be the last? Just saying

In the entire time I've been following this band don't think I've ever heard anyone say that, personally, on a blog or a message board like this, or in the media, about a single U2 tour.

It was sort of implicitly discussed with Bono was talking about U2 breaking up about a year ago. But that's all I can think of.

It was sort of implicitly discussed with Bono was talking about U2 breaking up about a year ago. But that's all I can think of.

Right...I'm talking about before the tour..e.g..."This may be U2's last tour" type of hype. That's one cliche' that I can honestly say I haven't heard from or about this band. Yet. Though I'm sure that is going to start and probably sooner rather than later.

How many tours have people been saying will be the last? Just saying

Really all it would take is for Bono to say something vague like "We want this next tour to be really special, like it could be our last one" and the blogosphere will latch onto that with "END OF THE ROADIE! BONO SAYS THIS IS U2'S LAST TOUR." It's patently ridiculous, but that's the information age for ya.

Randoms. Just poke around Interference prior to any album/tour since it came into existence and you'll find people pronouncing the end.

Incidentally, the post of yours culminating in this point:

... is perhaps a rare example where you and I are in complete agreement.

In the entire time I've been following this band don't think I've ever heard anyone say that, personally, on a blog or a message board like this, or in the media, about a single U2 tour.

Not counting Slane being mentioned as the last U2 stadium show, this is true.

That said, they are approaching an age where any tour *could be the last, and the media will say it too.

I'm not sure about last tour. But rumors of U2's last album and/or breaking up have circulated between albums since after Rattle and Hum and the Lovetown tour in 89. Obviously recording Achtung they were close to actually breaking up. But after every tour ends that rumor circulates in some form. I do not think U2 will ever break up. They will probably just stop making albums and touring and never make a formal announcement about it. Still leaving it open. Kind of like The Police did.

Back
Top Bottom