Next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Insulting everyone who enjoyed it by calling them tone deaf?

Again, I didn't call people who enjoyed it, I called U2 tone deaf for making that selection.

If you say "I don't like Party Girl, I think the lyrics are weak", are you "insulting" everyone who enjoys that song?

Pretty much makes the expression of any opinion, on any thing, at any time, an "insult" doesn't it? Because someone is always going to like something you don't. Or vice-versa.

Perhaps you should try reading, and understanding, a post before you respond to it.

I love the Crazy Tonight->SBS transition. Crazy Tonight is the climax of the "personal" section of the show, as Bono stated in 2009. It is a song about hedonism in the face of conflict, and that gets taken to the extreme with the remix. The juxtaposition with SBS is very harsh, but it is that way by design. U2 wanted there to be a rude awakening from hedonism to the political section of the show. I think it's brilliant.

But playing Discothèque would have accomplished the opposite of why they were going for, and robbed that section of its purpose.

I would have been fine with Crazy Tonight-Discothèque-SBS, though.

I don't think the audience would have cared ;)

"No Crazy Tonight remix?? Well there goes Bono's message about hedonism in the face of adversity! Fuck this, I'm going to get a beer."

I would have cared. :(

ETA: Well, I would have cared about dropping SBS. Discothèque-SBS could have carried the same message and been awesome.

Crazy Tonight is one of those songs that was beyond awful on the album, but got a badly needed kick in the ass with the remix. It went from terrible to tolerable, if not better.

I think Breathe would have worked better coming out of the Arab Spring transition instead of at the start. For that matter, Breathe would have been better anywhere other than the opener.

"No Crazy Tonight remix?? Well there goes Bono's message about hedonism in the face of adversity! Fuck this, I'm going to get a beer."

:lmao:

Please post this as your reaction to the next U2 concert, whenever they finally get off their arses and perform again.

I think that the normal, album version of every song (except for Even Better and Lady With the Spinning Head) is better than its remix counterpart. Crazy Tonight included.

The remix was shit. It may have got the crowd going and been a big of fun live, but it was just..... laaaame.

Crazy Tonight sucked, the remix sucked (though ever so slightly less), and the Crazy Tonight-SBS "transition" sucked. And this "hedonism in the face of adversity" is just BS, if that was their intention with this misfire. I suppose you could say that a transition from Mother's of the Disappeared to GOYB reflects the need to have fashionable footwear in the face of kidnap, murder and despair, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be ridiculous. I don't mind a harsh, abrupt transition and I get the idea, but in this case, it didn't work.

I understand some people liked it though, and that's fine. I actually didn't really care about it enough to even have thought about it between seeing it on 360 and now. To me it's less about whether this particular transition works and more about U2's changing sensibilities, and I just I think at one time U2 had more respect for SBS (which actually probably shouldn't have been played on 360 at all) to have done that.

Here's my wishlist:

Arena's In US

Songs:
Rotate:Ultraviolet, HMTMKMKM
Rotate: One Tree Hill, Bad, Heartland
Rotate: Mofo, Gone, Please
ASOH
Dirty Day
MOS
The Fly
Seconds
Promenade
WILATW

Here's my wishlist:

Arena's In US

Songs:
Rotate:Ultraviolet, HMTMKMKM
Rotate: One Tree Hill, Bad, Heartland
Rotate: Mofo, Gone, Please
ASOH
Dirty Day
MOS
The Fly
Seconds
Promenade
WILATW

I'd swap WILATW for Exit, but otherwise this is also my dream wishlist. They can still play five songs from the new album and nine or ten warhorses.

I didn't really care for the transition from Crazy to SBS, either, but I just looked at it as another moment of Insert Mandatory Political/Social Statement in a U2 show.

i thought crazy-> sbs was pretty well done, though I thought sbs->mlk was weak... sbs->scarlet was much better.

anyway, next tour. songs i haven't seen that i'd like to: a sort of homecoming, in God's country, daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car, wire, do you feel loved.

One thing that I have found that is getting old lately is snippets. They should seriously minimize them. If they they do use them, as an example, during Sunday Bloody Sunday do a snippet of Seconds.

One thing that I have found that is getting old lately is snippets. They should seriously minimize them. If they they do use them, as an example, during Sunday Bloody Sunday do a snippet of Seconds.

Pretty much disagree completely. Most of these songs have been played to death, and they have to do something to keep them interesting. The snippets, whether from another U2 song or (preferably) something about another band, help do that. And they are a small way to provide some variety in the songs for long time fans, while not alienating more casual fans.

And what does "getting old" mean? Getting old to who? The 95% of people at a U2 concert who don't obsessively follow set lists and listen to every live recording available? To most people, those snippets they hear are the only "new" parts to old songs.

While some snippets are more effectively used than others, I like them.

Pretty much disagree completely. Most of these songs have been played to death, and they have to do something to keep them interesting. The snippets, whether from another U2 song or (preferably) something about another band, help do that. And they are a small way to provide some variety in the songs for long time fans, while not alienating more casual fans.

While some snippets are more effectively used than others, I like them.

Agreed, I couldn't imagine bad without the snippets now really

I was bored, so I went to the U2 Gigs website and tried to figure out a thing or two regarding the songs being played on the past two tours. I'm sure someone else has done this before, but there's some interesting things there...

U2 Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour
Vertigo Tour: 131 shows
U2 360° Tour - U2 on tour
360 Tour: 110 shows

* New Song at the Time
Songs Played at Every Vertigo Show:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name
Bullet the Blue Sky
One
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo* (with some shows getting it played twice)
SYCMIOYO*
City of Blinding Lights*

Songs Almost Played at Every Vertigo Show:
LAPOE* (127 times)

Songs Played at Every 360 Show:
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
Get on Your Boots*
Crazy Tonight* (including one show where album version was also played)

Songs Almost Played at Every 360 Show:
With or Without You (109 times)
Moment of Surrender (108 times)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (108 times)

I suspect WOWY and MOS would've been played at every show had it not been for that rain delay in Europe that one time?

Songs Played On Vertigo That Are Mentioned As Being 'Played a Lot' In General (shows played at/total shows during tour):
With or Without You (104/131)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (91/131)
Miss Sarajevo (85/131)
Mysterious Ways (67/131)
I Will Follow (51/131)
Until the End of the World (41/131)
Walk On (11/131)

Songs Played On 360 That Are Mentioned As Being 'Played a Lot' In General (shows played at/total shows during tour):
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (96/110)
Mysterious Ways (93/110)
Elevation (94/110)
Until the End of the World (82/110)
Miss Sarajevo (66/110)
Pride (65/110)
I Will Follow (42/110)
Stuck in a Moment (36/110)
In a Little While (50/110) (only played twice on whole Vertigo tour)

Random Songs Played On Both Vertigo and 360:
The Fly: 89 times on Vertigo, 14 times on 360
Bad: 28 times on Vertigo, 13 times on 360
New Year's Day: 65 times on Vertigo, 29 times on 360
Desire: 6 times on Vertigo, 9 times on 360
Out of Control: 9 times on Vertigo, 6 times on 360
All I Want Is You: 23 times on Vertigo, 12 times on 360

Of course, this doesn't stop the debate of them not playing certain songs enough or at all, but it's still interesting to see some perspective on this.

Has anybody mentioned Wire from Unforgettable Fire yet? That strikes me as something that would be really challenging to pull off live. Not sure if Bono could hit some of those notes, though.

As some might have already mentioned, I'd welcome an effort by the band to play some more rare stuff, and not necessarily the typical things you'd hear from them at every show, like With or Without You. Why not Sweetest Thing, Love Comes Tumbling ... yeah, now we're talking.

Back
Top Bottom