New U2 single: Ahimsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I skipped ahead, saw Bonernie's painfully earnest expression and burst out laughing.

Very underrated facet of peak Shuttlecock.

Last edited:
What I really miss from U2 these days (aside from notable guitar work) is Edge's unique backing vocals. They crop up here and there (Red Flag Daaay) but there was a time when most their songs were just drenched in those atmospheric ghostly drones. I was listening to Zooropa again recently and I just love his contributions vocally throughout that album. The Wanderer, with all it's 'aaaahhhhh' 'oooooohhhh' is just sublime.
That's Lanois' style, the atmospheric ideas came from him mostly it seems because for me they lost something when ENO/Lanois quit. Listen to Peter Gabriel's "So". The same vibe.

Heck, even my favourite The Killers song is Heart of a Girl, produced by Lanois ofc. Turns out it seems I liked the ENO/Lanois part of U2 more than the actual bandmembers, The last 2 U2 albums bore me to death.

Last edited:
The production shits me on this one, but otherwise I like Bono’s vocal delivery - except when they throw the vocoder or whatever it is over his vocal in the latter half. It feels to me very much cut from the same cloth as some of the standalone singles and Songs of Experience (but wouldn’t have fit at all on that album).

It also seems quite rushed - where on earth did this come from? Obviously, the Mumbai gig justifies it’s release but it wasn’t released with much fanfare.

Hopefully it will get a couple of appearances on the tour. I would have much preferred it over Love is bigger than anything in it’s way at the Melbourne gig. Hey

I’d appreciate it if Ahimsa were a little rawer, but I’m enjoying it.

I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority here but I loved Window in the Sky, it was just a fun song and wished it were on HTDAAB.

Phew, finally I've met the other person who likes Window. I thought it was a cracking pop song and very underrated/trashed on here.

Ahimsa is ok, its definitely a grower and I like that they resist the urge to go "full-U2" and keep it a bit more low key and try something different.

Phew, finally I've met the other person who likes Window. I thought it was a cracking pop song and very underrated/trashed on here.

Ahimsa is ok, its definitely a grower and I like that they resist the urge to go "full-U2" and keep it a bit more low key and try something different.

I like Windows in the sky too. And the new single is fine with me!

I like window in the skies , top 5 single in the uk I’m sure it was.

Great video for it Aswell

Edge just tours and cashes checks at this point. Considering he was long my favorite element of the band's sound, performances like the one on this new track and so much of SOE leaves me with little to enjoy as a fan.

maybe after watching Adam do this over the decades, and see how well he has aged, he says fuck it I will do the same....

I like Windows in the sky too. And the new single is fine with me!

I like window in the skies , top 5 single in the uk I’m sure it was.

Great video for it Aswell

Count me in for WITS, too. :D i loved the video, too.

Haven't heard the single yet bc i need to find my ear buds for tablet.

Last edited:
Face it....U2 are washed up and have been the last 10 years or so. They should've quit with some dignity.

Face it....U2 are washed up and have been the last 10 years or so. They should've quit with some dignity.

Every breaking wave
The crystal ballroom
Red flag day
Little things that give you away
The blackout

I & E Tour
E & I Tour
Joshua tree tour

those songs and tours strongly disagree with that comment

Every breaking wave
The crystal ballroom
Red flag day
The blackout

I & E Tour
E & I Tour
Joshua tree tour

EBW, Little Things and Blackout are some of their best work! I would also throw Love is Bigger into that mix but maybe that’s just me.

I love every U2 song! It is all a work of art. I like the variety of musical styles and influences throughout their career span. And I have listened to virtually every album.

I love U2.

The more I listen to this song (and I have a lot) the more I like it. Yes, it's standard 'late period' U2, but it's a perfect example of the music they're making right now. The chorus is really growing on me, simple, but beautiful.

The more I listen to this song (and I have a lot) the more I like it. Yes, it's standard 'late period' U2, but it's a perfect example of the music they're making right now. The chorus is really growing on me, simple, but beautiful.

Agree.

Its a real grower and I like that its simple and shows restraint, a wee bit from the U2 template for song structure we've got used to.

Ordinary Love has some awful lyrics and a perfect example of Bono stuffing too many syllables in the lines of the verses. It has more energy but that doesn’t matter to me when these other issues are there.

As far as post-2000 non-album singles go, I’ll take Ahimsa over that, the overcooked Beatles wankery of Window in the Sky, and the Oasis wankery of Electrical Storm (any version).

It’s a far cry from Invisible or The Ground Beneath Her Feet, though.

oy, yeah, Window in the Sky was really bad. I would put this at about the same. Although i give this one a little more leeway since it was done to honor a certain country and all, it at least had a purpose that i guess was fulfilled. But will not listen again.

Every breaking wave
The crystal ballroom
Red flag day
The blackout

I & E Tour
E & I Tour
Joshua tree tour

I'll throw in Raised by Wolves, Love is All..., Sleep Like a Baby..., The Troubles, 13, Landlady, Summer of Love, Book of Your Heart, and Lights of Home (St. Peters)

There's a baker's dozen list of songs that make Pinko's statement stupid, uninformed, and well, spot on for a past member, posing as a new member troll... And black people, ugh, am I right?

And black people, ugh, am I right?

So you are likely referencing/mocking a previous post from someone that I missed but reading your response and then seeing you jolt and end with that last line...LOL

I’m guessing someone went on a nonsensical rant about black people?

So you are likely referencing/mocking a previous post from someone that I missed but reading your response and then seeing you jolt and end with that last line...LOL

I’m guessing someone went on a nonsensical rant about black people?

We had a racist, homophobic Trump supporter enthusiastically troll FYM one night, possibly while drunk.

It was funny for a bit.

Anybody else listen to the remix EP ?Best Thing is the only decent remix of the 4. Love is Bigger remix is just two minutes. The Pride and Beautiful Day mixes are also meh....

That EP is a steaming pile of nope.

But I love that they tried - far more interesting working with regional/local artists than the same crews doing the same EDM bullshit in western music.

Anybody else listen to the remix EP ?Best Thing is the only decent remix of the 4. Love is Bigger remix is just two minutes. The Pride and Beautiful Day mixes are also meh....

A few things:

1) U2s remixes from SOE, which were in the dozens because of Summer of Love, Best Thing, Love is Bigger, LOH, Blackout and GOOYOW, we’re almost all complete and utter trash. I mean unlistenable garbage, from every single Summer of Love remix to the shit show that was the Record Store Day Blackout remix. Save for the Beck Love is Bigger and a LOH remix...all were bad

2) U2s Facebook page is loaded with what I would call “homers”, which is to say U2 could release a remix of Larry farting after eating a taco and their FB fans would love it. However, the post about these remixes was filled with almost universal dislike of the songs. I was shocked to read all the posts saying they didn’t like them (they were VERY civil and not rude about it but made their feelings clear.

Based on the above, I was expecting these remixes to be horrendous and perhaps because of that I set my bar of expectations so low that I actually didn’t Thing they that bad.

1- Best Thing was surprising solid and the best of them. 7/10

2- Pride was scaled down and while the coolest parts were absent (i.e. Edge) it was a okay version...mellow. 5/10

3) I really like LIB but as you noted, it’s so short and it’s just...meh 4/10

4) Beautiful Day was meh...I mean it’s not even U2 and while it sounds nice, I don’t know what the hell he is singing (could be singing the lyrics to Stand Up Comedy for all I know). 3/10

All in all, these were not nearly as bad as I expected but not nearly as good as their HTDAAB and prior remixes

Ahimsa is such a dull dull tune. Really delving into the creative nadir this band.

Generic mainstream melody (probably inspired by Ryan Tedder no doubt) with more wide eyed platitudes. The word artistry and ambition is no longer part of the U2 vocab.

Back
Top Bottom