New Songs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2mikie

The Fly
I wonder if we will ever see the new songs that they played on the latter part of the 360 Tour ever recorded.......Mercy, North Star, Glastonbury and Every Breaking Wave.

Or do you think they have scrapped the idea?

Vlad n U 2 said:
I wish people didn't make titles like this.

Yeah, I saw the thread title and though "OMG NEW SONGS??? Is this maybe real?" (though I assumed that it wasn't).

But anyway... I like EBW and BFFTS. We sort of have BFFTS already, but I'd love a full U2 version. An EBW release would be nice. I don't mind North Star, but I don't think it's nearly as pretty as EBW. I don't like Glastonbury very much at all, and I think Mercy is not nearly as good as the demo. Stingray was also pretty cool, I suppose.

I like EBW. Out of the "new songs" showcased during 360, it was far and away the most promising. A Danger Mouse produced EBW could be special (although I'd be just as interested if Eno/Lanois did it). Glastonbury, NS and Mercy can go jump off a cliff. Utter garbage songs.

I think Mercy is done with given that it was released on Wide Awake in Europe, but the fact that only Return of the Stingray Guitar was available to vote for on the U22 thing makes me think that there's a chance they'll return to some of these songs.

Except Glastonbury, they didn't even play it at Glastonbury, so I think we can safely put that one to bed.

I think Mercy is done with given that it was released on Wide Awake in Europe, but the fact that only Return of the Stingray Guitar was available to vote for on the U22 thing makes me think that there's a chance they'll return to some of these songs.

Except Glastonbury, they didn't even play it at Glastonbury, so I think we can safely put that one to bed.

Agreed. I thought it was pretty weird they included things like MOthers of the Disappeared and Electrical Storm, when those were played a handful of times, and then don't put North Star or Mercy in, which were played a lot.

I agree on the Glasto part too. Pretty safe to say that they've ditched that completely. Shame, it was pretty cool to see live, though nobody in the crowd could sing along. :lol:

I like EBW. Out of the "new songs" showcased during 360, it was far and away the most promising. A Danger Mouse produced EBW could be special (although I'd be just as interested if Eno/Lanois did it). Glastonbury, NS and Mercy can go jump off a cliff. Utter garbage songs.

I pretty much agree. I adore EBW, and i think it shows a lot of promise - it gives me that vibe of a u2 song with a new sound/spirit to it, and yet with the same u2 magic that's in all their best songs. Regardless of who produces it, i think it would sound fantastic.
The other songs imo were decent at best, but nothing i'd want them to pursue beyond releasing them as b-sides.

I think they want to include Return of the Stingray Guitar with this year's U2.com gift. I expect North Star and Every Breaking Wave on the next album. Mercy had its own limited release single last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they're done with Glastonbury.

New songs, you say? Here's a new solo Bono song for your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxM841f08VA

dgg-023586.jpg

I like Stingray. I wish it had been on NLOTH. It has a bit of foreign flavour to it, I find.

They might not be new, as we have all heard them at some stage but they are new in that they have never been released on CD or any digital format, apart from Mercy on vinyl.

That`s where i was coming from guys. I`m sure you would all already know if there was something really new out.

They were all boring as can be except for Stingray, which was sort of just a goofy little piece of music that went nowhere. Bono really needs to find some new inspiration.

I thought Mercy sounded better musically (I saw it in the flesh, segueing into Bad - a transcendent 10 or so minutes) than the version we have. Larry was really pounding away on the drums. It was just ruined by the missing bridge and that awful "because/because/because" bit in the chorus.

Every Breaking Wave stills sounds incredible to my ears. If they don't release it, I want a HQ version from Helsinki. Damn that was beautiful.

God Part III said:
Every Breaking Wave stills sounds incredible to my ears. If they don't release it, I want a HQ version from Helsinki. Damn that was beautiful.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom