New Lithographs on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I admit I prefer Bono art. :wink: But still cool you have any of their art. Is that VOV the one with the heart? (I can't check for what they all looked like right now.) But yeah I am a big fan of Bono's artwork. I love his style. Talk about a talented human! :D I'm not sure if there are more, I have the pics saved somewhere but can't check now, I'd just love anything he drew or painted.

The VOV is a self portrait. I think from 1989.
I'll have to swap them out again soon and snap a picture.

The VOV is a self portrait. I think from 1989.
I'll have to swap them out again soon and snap a picture.

Oh cool! I probably have seen that but can't remember what it is right now. I'd like to see that! I edited my post before but in case you missed it, I had said that's why the HTDAAB Deluxe Book is an absolute treasure to me. I still can't believe what a personal glimpse into his art, notes, lyrics, doodles, etc we got with that book. Best bonus type album thingy ever, for me anyway, because I think his art is really fascinating. The Bomb art I was thinking of was the heart drawing which was Bono's from that print set.

Have you seen your wallet lately? Better check on it and make sure it hasn't been up to any funny business while you were not watching.

New AB Lithos in the shop!

It is hard to resist the one where they on the street with masks, but I'm fighting it so far. :drool:

Have to admit, there's some cool Litho's there. The BOno and Edge ones are really cool.

Shame they're so expensive. But lol, I just realised. If you get the four pack, and use your discount code, you get one free. If I'd just want the Bono and Edge ones, I could sell Larry and Adam for 100 each, and then I'd have only paid half the price for the last two remaning litho's.

:shifty: You mean this one?
24g28lw.jpg

^ If really want that particular picture and don't mind what format, you can buy a poster from AllPosters.com. I have it.

Have to admit, there's some cool Litho's there. The BOno and Edge ones are really cool.

Shame they're so expensive. But lol, I just realised. If you get the four pack, and use your discount code, you get one free. If I'd just want the Bono and Edge ones, I could sell Larry and Adam for 100 each, and then I'd have only paid half the price for the last two remaning litho's.

I'll trade you my Bonostoise for your Larrizard.

Are these the lithos from the subscripton package?

I don't know this for sure but I want to say these are the same images as the lithos in the subscription, but these are much larger than the ones in the subscription.

If you click on the description in the shop for these larger ones, it says "Strictly limited edition lithograph of Bono performing on the U2360° Tour, the same image as in the miniature set featured in 'From The Ground Up: U2.com Music Edition'. The print (690mm x 970mm), is produced from a photo taken by Peter Neill and has been hand-lithographed with metallic bronze on silver and comes with a completed and numbered Certificate of Authenticity." The conversion from mm to inches was roughly 28" x 38" give or take an inch, I can't remember.

Then if you look at the photo taken on u2.com of the subscription, you see about postcard size images of the 4 band members, maybe 8" x 10" by the size of the book next to them and compared to the cd size. It's hard to tell how large they truly are.

I'll trade you my Bonostoise for your Larrizard.
:lol: I'm imagining some really wonky photoshops in my head right now...

Are these the lithos from the subscripton package?

Seems so. Though these lithographs are a wee bit bigger. ;) I thikn they are around 80x60cm or something like that. Don't remember the exact dimensions. And the package one are postcards.

I have never seen that Lithograph before in my life, and I've seen most U2.com ones as far as I'm aware....

So I'm not quite sure if it's actually real.

Besides that, the price is 'only' 250$. The price of U2 lithographs is 100$. So if this truly was a one of a kind withdrawn proof litho, wouldn't it be WAY more expensive?

I'm also doubtful of this. It may as well be a fake being passed on as a 'real, withdrawn' litho. The inconsistent use of colours and of record covers is also ringing some alarm bells with me.

Besides that, the price is 'only' 250$. The price of U2 lithographs is 100$. So if this truly was a one of a kind withdrawn proof litho, wouldn't it be WAY more expensive?

Well, GBP 250 (which is about $375) is the opening bid, that may not have to be the final price.

U2 lithograph of a WITHDRAWN lithograph called All That You Can Leave Behind, The Best of 1990-2000. This lithograph is a montage, similar in style to Achtung Baby and photographed by the legendary Anton Corbijn.

That's another part where I'm wondering wtf is this. The title, why AYTCLB - Best of? Why both titles?

And the Mohawk photo of Bono is a very odd duck in the collection. That definitely is NOT Anton's style, to put a photo with such a different colour in.

Hmm, but does Anton really have anything to do with the selection of which photos go in the lithos? I agree it's just plain weird though to have that mix of album titles in one pic. I actually could see them mixing up photos for the Best Of, but the two titles is strange. All the other ones the seller has for sale are much more normal looking, and he does have a very detailed explanation about them. Aren't most of them the same lithos U2.com did sell? I haven't looked at them all in a while though to compare but I thought I recognized them.

Except for the three ATYCLB photos and the top right AB shot, all of these photos appear in the Best Of 90-2000 record sleeve, and actually, the Mohawk Bono shot is the only one tinted blue and not like the others, so that actually works here. The AB shot is included in the CD booklet, so that gets a pass.

However, this particular litho doesn't really smell right to me, I don't really see them mashing together ATYCLB imagery with the other 90s shots. If they had included the ATYCLB photos in the Best Of packaging somehow, then I'd be more convinced. I'm skeptical this is authentic.

I have never seen that Lithograph before in my life, and I've seen most U2.com ones as far as I'm aware....

Check the seller's other auctions, he's obviously got access to some sort of stash of printers proofs lithos. And if you do a search for "u2 lithograph" on ebay, you'll see that there's a second seller from the UK who is also offering a similar selection of un-numbered lithos (just not that "unreleased" one). It would appear that U2's printer gave them some sort of a close-out deal to get rid of a bunch of stuff they had lying around.

However, this particular litho doesn't really smell right to me, I don't really see them mashing together ATYCLB imagery with the other 90s shots. If they had included the ATYCLB photos in the Best Of packaging somehow, then I'd be more convinced. I'm skeptical this is authentic.

Well from that point of view, it's pretty obvious why U2.com decided not to release it. But I can't imagine why someone would go through all that trouble just to make one fake lithograph. I would assume it's real just based on all the other U2 lithos he's selling. A seller wouldn't go through all the trouble to fake all of those real ones too just to make up a fake unreleased one. It would be a monumental expense of time and money, to cater to a market that certainly isn't very big (since the real U2 ones only have a numbered print run of 500 each).

My next question is whether there are other mock-ups sitting around that have the Best Of collections mashed-up with other albums.

I get frustrated every time I see these lithos. The gold and silver borders are pretty garish. I'd kill for an Achtung Baby litho with a classy black border or no border at all. The same with Zooropa. I was lucky enough to buy the JT cover print that was sold back in the 90's. It's signed by Anton in pencil and was limited to 200. I paid about a hundred bucks for it and framed it for another 250. It's now going for about 1200 on eBay. I wouldn't sell mine for anything. It will be hanging wherever I live until I die!

Random but speaking of the shop, are there ever discount promo codes? There's a box for it, but I don't know if I 've ever seen any codes.

Check the seller's other auctions, he's obviously got access to some sort of stash of printers proofs lithos. And if you do a search for "u2 lithograph" on ebay, you'll see that there's a second seller from the UK who is also offering a similar selection of un-numbered lithos (just not that "unreleased" one). It would appear that U2's printer gave them some sort of a close-out deal to get rid of a bunch of stuff they had lying around.

Well from that point of view, it's pretty obvious why U2.com decided not to release it. But I can't imagine why someone would go through all that trouble just to make one fake lithograph. I would assume it's real just based on all the other U2 lithos he's selling. A seller wouldn't go through all the trouble to fake all of those real ones too just to make up a fake unreleased one. It would be a monumental expense of time and money, to cater to a market that certainly isn't very big (since the real U2 ones only have a numbered print run of 500 each).

My next question is whether there are other mock-ups sitting around that have the Best Of collections mashed-up with other albums.

Hello
This is my first post in here as I have joined specifically to answer the above question. I thought long and hard whether to do so but could see no harm.

I am the owner of the "withdrawn lithograph" which was bought back in 2008. A very well connected friend of mine who worked for Universal gave me a heads up that eil.com had a copy and was going to put this online. I live just a few miles from them so I actually bought this, and all the other unnumbered lithos that I listed on eBay from them. I got lucky really. Right contact, right place, right time as no one else had a chance to buy the withdrawn lithograph as I snagged it immediately, in person.

I understand the withdrawn and unnumbered lithos were used as printer proofs for quality control before each of the numbered versions were manufactured for release thru U2.com. They obviously didn't like the withdrawn litho. I was lead to believe I have the only one that exists of the withdrawn litho. As far as I am concerned All the unnumbered lithos and withdrawn litho are 100% genuine and as I have the numbered lithographs, I can vouch that there is absolutely no difference in the quality whatsoever, the image and paper are exactly the same.

I hate to even go down this road but I am certainly not clever or talented enough to fake anything like this, especially not just for one copy.

I just had a look at the eil.com site and they have no current or archived online pages for these lithos now but if you put U2 unnumbered lithos printer proof or similar in Google, it will hopefully bring up links to those archived pages albeit not the withdrawn litho.

The eBay auctions were very speculative on my part as I wasn't sure whether they would sell or not. To be honest when I bought them back in 2008, i had the intention of keeping them but either have the numbered copies now and have run out of storage space. I started the "withdrawn litho" at £250 just to see if that bird would fly. I had a lot of questions but it remained unsold and I haven't relisted since.

Having thought about this, I suppose if someone is saying that they have a piece of potentially very rare U2 memorabilia, people may be suspicious of it. I bought all the lithos through reputable sources and have every reason to believe that they are 100% genuine. Although it doesn't show up on the google search that I can find nor do i have the receipt from 5 years ago, I did have the piece of mind to keep a paper copy of the eil.com web page that gives the relevant details even though it never was available for sale through eil.com. Whether you can call that proof is for others to determine.

I would be more than happy to supply any photographs for people.

I hope members won't mind me posting about this.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom