New Generation of Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I thought I would share something with my fellow U2 fanatics. Last year I was over my brothers house watching TV and my niece, who is 10, grabbed by iPhone and started scrolling through the songs I had on it. She said "Who are U2? YOu have a lot of their songs". I told her they were a band that I liked and left it at that. Then I decided to make her a CD of U2 songs to see if she would like them. I mean, her musical tastes are Jonas Brothers/Black Eyed Peas/etc..., so its not like I had a lot to lose here. I made the CD and gave it to her last weekend. I put 17 songs on it, songs that I thought would capture both who U2 are and capture the attention of a 10 year old. Keep in mind that the following list had to be a bit more "poppy" than I would have liked because Im dealing with a child for the most part. Here they are, in order:

Beautiful Day (who wouldn't love this song)
Ill go Crazy If I don't go Crazy Tonight (its as "pop" as U2 gets)
Elevation (catchy as all hell)
Desire (old school)
Angel of Harlem (old school with horns!)
Vertigo (cool as cool could be!)
Pride (classic U2)
One (had to slow it down with a classic)
Staring at the Sun (its got a young feel to it but I was iffy on this one)
Who's gonna Ride Your Wild Horses-Temple Bar Edit (like this tune a lot)
Magnificent (great song off of a great album)
Mysterious Ways (raw, loud and cool)
Still Haven't Found (Classic)
With or Without You (slow classic)
Streets (I was hesitant on this one too because while it rocks, it might go over her head how good this song really is)
Sweetest thing '98 (again, she's 10)
Window in the Skies (great song, simple lyrics and its poppy)

I have songs lined up for a 2nd CD but only if she likes the first one. What do you think about my choices? I hope I am able to covert her over :sexywink:

for the purpose I think you just about nailed it
though I'd have put COBL in there instead of Staring at the Sun
and perhaps New Year's Day instead of Who's gonna ride

for the purpose I think you just about nailed it
and perhaps New Year's Day instead of Who's gonna ride

I have COBL and New Years Day lined up for CD 2 (17 more songs if she likes the first 17). In hindsight, COBL would have been better than SATS but what can you do.

I think COBL is not a very good choice for someone of that age. It took me several years to discover the awesomeness of Streets just because of its long intro. I was simply too impatient to be able to listen properly to it. COBL also has a long intro which fits the song perfectly, but that may put off a child of that age. This varies of course, but generally Staring At The Sun would be the better choice IMO.

I think COBL is not a very good choice for someone of that age. It took me several years to discover the awesomeness of Streets just because of its long intro. I was simply too impatient to be able to listen properly to it. COBL also has a long intro which fits the song perfectly, but that may put off a child of that age. This varies of course, but generally Staring At The Sun would be the better choice IMO.

Well Said JoRu!

In fact, I also agree that the intro to Streets could lose her, which is why I opted for the single version. Shorter intro that goes right into the action. Funny how when you are dealing with certain demographics, you have to really take different approaches to pitching the same material. I feel like a salesman :lol:

COBL's intro is far more energetic throughout than Streets' is
I can imagine doubts whether a young person can sit through the start of Streets
if it can't sit through the start of COBL i'd doubt they'd ever end up loving U2
(though Streets is 10 times superior)
:shrug:

Beautiful Day (who wouldn't love this song)
Ill go Crazy If I don't go Crazy Tonight (its as "pop" as U2 gets)
Elevation (catchy as all hell)
Desire (old school)
Angel of Harlem (old school with horns!)
Vertigo (cool as cool could be!)
Pride (classic U2)
One (had to slow it down with a classic)
Staring at the Sun (its got a young feel to it but I was iffy on this one)
Who's gonna Ride Your Wild Horses-Temple Bar Edit (like this tune a lot)
Magnificent (great song off of a great album)
Mysterious Ways (raw, loud and cool)
Still Haven't Found (Classic)
With or Without You (slow classic)
Streets (I was hesitant on this one too because while it rocks, it might go over her head how good this song really is)
Sweetest thing '98 (again, she's 10)
Window in the Skies (great song, simple lyrics and its poppy)
Good list. Here's hoping the kid gains some musical taste from this! :wink:

Being a teen, I started listening to U2 when I was around ten, and I'd say Sunday bloody Sunday and anything from Achtung Baby.

But also, burn some live material, upbeat songs like beautiful day and WTSHNN. If that doesn't interest her, its a lost cause

my kids have never been very keen on U2 - i always played them a whole range of things ever since they were little, to give em a bit of a grounding in musical history, so they've heard a lot of stuff, but funnily enough not very much U2... they did like Beautiful Day and Vertigo though, and showed some slight interest in Elevation when i said "hey it's the Tombraider song!" lmfao!!!

they begrudgingly came with me to see U2 this summer - moaned non stop about it before the gig as they just thought they were in for 2 hours of being tortured with "mum's music" haha (they are the same with any of mine and their dad's music, not just U2... being teenagers now they think they have far superior taste in music than their boring old parents - which is probably true lol!!!)

however, by the time Mysterious Ways started my daughter had joined me on the steps to dance and scream at the top of her lungs, which was really sweet... she loved the concert, but we've been to a few different gigs together and she really enjoys the whole gig-going experience...

my teenage son is really into music, he's a musician, got an amazing ear, classically trained since he was 8, but big into Slipknot (weirdly) and all things punk right now lol, and he took the concert in pretty seriously, listening intently with a big concentrating frown on his face haha, and afterwards said he was really impressed by Edge's guitar work, that's the sound he latched onto and was really listening to during the gig, and he said he really liked Moment of Surrender - when we came home he specifically asked for that song so that he could listen to it again... not a song i would have imagined he would go for, but wonders will never cease i guess lol!

Very good choice of songs, but if you don't mind, I'll give you a little piece of advice: don't give her the second CD if she doesn't ask you for, there's nothing a boy or girl hate more than feeling they are being directed in their tastes, especially in music, music is a youth language for them and they sometimes enjoy being different from their parents, uncles, aunts, etc., it will a bit later in life when they will be prepared to state their real tastes, at the age of your niece there 's too much peer group pression.

My nephew, 15, is a great fan, it all started with my iphone too, he asked me for With or Without You and Vertigo, he has now at least 4 albums, which he loves, he never admits being a U2 fan when his friends are arround, but when they are not, he keeps telling me where their next concert is and asking if I'm going to go and if it would be possible to convince his parents to let him go with me and it's been a great surprise for him to learn that my first U2 gig happened because my brother (his father) took me with him.

Very good choice of songs, but if you don't mind, I'll give you a little piece of advice: don't give her the second CD if she doesn't ask you for, there's nothing a boy or girl hate more than feeling they are being directed in their tastes, especially in music, music is a youth language for them and they sometimes enjoy being different from their parents, uncles, aunts, etc.,

I agree 100% and I don't plan on giving her the CD unless SHE specifically asks. In a couple of weeks I will ask if she listened to it and what she thought.

Im taking more of a laid back approach, I mean we're talking about U2! Its kinda like "Here are songs from the greatest band on earth, if you want more, let me know." I think if she went to a show, she would be amazed. I have 4 GA's for NY next year but 1) Im already taking my sister and brother in-law and 2) I dont think GA's are good for kids (this will be my first time doing GA).

My approach was always to introduce peolpe to U2 Via their very best songs, all your favourites on one tape, chances are if you like them and are passionate about them they could like them too. If you try to tailor it by putting on songs that you dont think are the strongest but may appeal to somebody of that age group etc then it probably wontwork. I know that If I'm getting into a new band I want to hear their best stuff first. I have converted many people this way.
Anyway, good luck, if she goes for it there will be one less of them and one more of us!

I'd just give her ATYCLB. It's easily their most accessible, poppy album and it's the album that got me into U2.After that I started appreciating the other albums.

I'd just give her ATYCLB. It's easily their most accessible, poppy album and it's the album that got me into U2.After that I started appreciating the other albums.

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you first heard ATYCLB?

ATYCLB was my nephew's first U2 album. He heard it when he was 12 and it got him hooked. I took him to his first show during Elevation and he subsequently went to two Vertigo shows and one 360.

I know I was one of the "new generation" U2 fans (if you mean 21st century). Started liking them 9 years ago cause my dad would play the "Best Of 80-90" CD in the car. From there I got hooked, and it sort of changed my musical tastes :lol:. Now we're going to our first U2 concert next year. :hyper: Counting down the days.

I try to get my sister into U2, but she doesn't really like it. "Oh, just one or two songs I like - Vertigo & Beautiful Day." :lol: :doh:

Neat stories. My 5 year old loves ATYCLB especially Beautiful Day, Elevation and Walk On. My 2 year old is facinated by "sexy boots" LOL..

Not a bad idea. I was 16 when I bought that album, and I was hooked afterwards. Really depends what the person's other tastes are musically too. I mean, if they're a rocker or a Top 40 person, that sort of thing.

For a second CD (if it comes to that), the ones that come to mind worth adding might be Walk On and Even Better than the Real Thing. City of Blinding Lights also has a radio edit, mind you, in case you are worried about the intro to that.

Go with songs from Bomb and ATYCLB. I think those would be the easiest for her to get into. Bomb was my first U2 album at 14 and I was hooked immediately. U2's 80s songs take a good few more listens to really appreciate them and I don't think a 10-year old would have that kind of patience!

This should be the CD you should have given her:

1 - Wild Honey
2 - A Man And A Woman
3 - Numb
4 - Trip Through Your Wires
5 - Miami
6 - Stand Up Comedy
7 - Love and Peace Or Else
8 - Love Rescue Me
9 - Surrender
10 - Mofo
11 - Acrobat
12 - Elvis Presley And America
13 - Your Blue Room
14 - The Ocean
15 - Cedars of Lebanon
16 - Where Did It All Go Wrong

Then provide her with a second disk full of songs performed by the Dalton Brothers.
:wink:

I try to get my sister into U2, but she doesn't really like it. "Oh, just one or two songs I like - Vertigo & Beautiful Day." :lol: :doh:

Most of my friends don't like U2, the idiots. But when I say "you've gotta like at least one song by U2" they always say either Vertigo or Beautiful Day or, God help them, Elevation.

And I'm always like, "Those are some of their worst songs!!"

Don't take worst as 'worst', I still like those songs, its just that U2 has so much better songs. I mean honestly, I cannot believe somebody who could listen to Streets and say, "this sucks. That guitar is terrible." If someone said that, they would be dead to me.

Back
Top Bottom