New blackberry ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I first saw the ad in a theatre at a packed sold out midnight Harry Potter show. Most the audience was teens and young adults, but also a good amount of adults 30-50 ish. (There were almost no children, maybe 3 or 4) I expected some sort of reaction but there was mostly none, besides myself and maybe a couple other people who said yay!
Saw it again in sold out theatres (same movie) twice more, and not a single reaction, once there was even dead silence. I was surprised but I guess that's better than boos :shrug:

you mean everyone didn't laugh at it? :tsk:

:wink: No laughing. (Unless you count a couple people in my party who laughed at me when I told them to be quiet while it was on)

The only laughing in the theatre I went to was my friends laughing at me trying to repress my girlish squeals :tsk:

I think people have a hard time grasping the concept of 'cross promotion'. If U2 was to do a commercial for the new Ford Ranger, they don't get alot of mileage out of it, after all, a Ford pickup isn't exactly a sexy or relevant cultural symbol right now (has it ever been?). It's basically a one-way street: Ford gets the most benefit from having U2 sing their praises, so to speak. Conversely, iPod was the rage during the last ad campaign and U2 benefited by being associated with it as much as Apple did from being associated with U2. Similarly, the Blackberry is a huge item right now and is probably the hottest phone/communication device on the market. Being linked to that is as valuable to U2 as being linked to U2 is for RIM.

Having said all that...we saw this commercial on TV the other day. My son went 'oh look U2'. My daughter was later heard humming the melody to Crazy Tonight, so that worked, I guess. I think she may have heard the song once or twice before that.

Noone laughed, nor did my son's indie sensibilities get the better of him and cause him to attack me with a fork over dessert for not openly chastising U2 for getting in bed with RIM.

In fact, life just kindof carried on. Weird how that works.

that was a gooooood muther fuckin' post muther fucker!!!!!!!!
samuel+jackson+1.jpg

THANKS MONKEYFIGHTER!!!@$%

YouTube - Snakes on a Plane - The TV Edit - The famous line

I think people have a hard time grasping the concept of 'cross promotion'. If U2 was to do a commercial for the new Ford Ranger, they don't get alot of mileage out of it, after all, a Ford pickup isn't exactly a sexy or relevant cultural symbol right now (has it ever been?). It's basically a one-way street: Ford gets the most benefit from having U2 sing their praises, so to speak. Conversely, iPod was the rage during the last ad campaign and U2 benefited by being associated with it as much as Apple did from being associated with U2. Similarly, the Blackberry is a huge item right now and is probably the hottest phone/communication device on the market. Being linked to that is as valuable to U2 as being linked to U2 is for RIM.

Having said all that...we saw this commercial on TV the other day. My son went 'oh look U2'. My daughter was later heard humming the melody to Crazy Tonight, so that worked, I guess. I think she may have heard the song once or twice before that.

Noone laughed, nor did my son's indie sensibilities get the better of him and cause him to attack me with a fork over dessert for not openly chastising U2 for getting in bed with RIM.

In fact, life just kindof carried on. Weird how that works.

this post = win thread

Back
Top Bottom