New blackberry ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I've written, NLOTH is the only album released this year to top 3M copies sold, worldwide, to date. As such, it is the best selling album released this year. Their tour was sold out long before it started. Despite this, radio stations claim that their listeners don't want to hear U2. Really? Because it appears they do very much so want to hear U2.

Amen brother. You hit the nail on the head, to hell with radio.

U2 played to 546,000 people in 6.....only 6 shows! You best believe that people want to hear them, regardless of what "radio" says.

Ok, this ad gave me goosebumps, too. I'm sure it's already been said in this thread, but if they had released this commercial in February/March and "Crazy Tonight" had been the first single , things could have been so different in terms of sales and publicity.

I was watching something on TV once about ad's from around the world and I heard MoFo being played for a French ad. I think it was advertising vibrating toilet seats or something.

Haha, some people on here would buy them if they vibrated along with Mofo.

I wish we could all go back 20 years (those of us that can....) and look at the things we said, or even the things we did and see if those still hold true.

I'm almost positive a value or two has changed over that time period. Though it is a bit tougher of a pill to swallow when we are more critical of something back then and now embrace it :)

QFT. Great response. :applaud:

I love this ad. It's a minute long, and about 56 second of it consist simply of U2 playing the song. The Blackberry bit at the end is tiny, and it even says "Blackberry Loves U2." It's more of a U2 commercial than anything else.

And the mix is AWESOME. I wish they'd release this version. The quieter, more dramatic intro, with the keyboards, is bad-ass.

I love this ad. It's a minute long, and about 56 second of it consist simply of U2 playing the song. The Blackberry bit at the end is tiny, and it even says "Blackberry Loves U2." It's more of a U2 commercial than anything else.

absolutely :up: and there are a ton of comments on youtube of people wanting to know what the song is in the ad ... a good sign I'd say!

i'm really sick of this blatantly simplistic hippie mentality. this "U2 have sold out" bullshit. as long as their music sounds good, WHO GIVES A FUCK?!!! bono can get the blackberry logo tattoed on his ass and flaunt it at concerts for all i care, as long as they're still making good music

yes what they have been doing for the last decade is in direct contradiction with their zoo tv philosophy, but that is only becuz they have become much, much smarter now. saying things like "consumerism is bad", "corporations are evil".....what trite bullshit!! nothing is this black and white, and whilst there are many GOOD arguments against issues like consumerism & endorsements etc, if you're only opposing them becuz u'r in a punk/rock band and that's the "cool" thing to do, u'r a bunch of mindless sheep!

some ppl also criticize them for making excessively commerical, mainstream music these days. again, so fucking what!?? U2 are very open about their intent to be a band for the MASSES! they are goin to make mainstream music. DEAL WITH IT. stop expecting them to do what radiohead is doing. and stop expecting them to return to their zoo tv mindset.

even edgar allan poe said that to be appreciated you have to be READ. and guess what? his mainstream works were pretty fucking good. just like U2's

Saw it in a movie theatre the other day...everyone laughed at it. Rightfully so. It's the most embarassing thing I've ever seen. It is so cheesy and soulless. At least the song found it's rightful home in an advert.

Saw it in a movie theatre the other day...everyone laughed at it. Rightfully so. It's the most embarassing thing I've ever seen. It is so cheesy and soulless. At least the song found it's rightful home in an advert.

Yes I'm sure everyone laughed at it. I'm sure that's exactly how it happened. Given the comments posted on youtube by nonfans, the response I've heard outside of here I don't buy it one bit...

But keep trying.

Well, someone has to provide some variety. Here's something positive: Adam's playing on the album is fantastic.

But is it not notable that a packed theatre laughed at U2? It was on before Public Enemies. Not the best movie, but OK. A gangster chick flick by the hack Michael mann.

Maybe everyone in your town is a lot like you :shrug:

My town is U2 crazy. They are in heavy rotation - and have been for twenty years - on every pop/rock station in the city. But really, they laughed. I didn't laugh. I cringed.

What exactly am I trying?

My town is U2 crazy. They are in heavy rotation - and have been for twenty years - on every pop/rock station in the city. But really, they laughed. I didn't laugh. I cringed.

What exactly am I trying?

You just try too hard to rile up people. It's not that you are critical, because that's fine, but 90% you aren't even critical just negative for negative's sake.

I honestly doubt they laughed. I've seen well respected bands do laughable cringeworthy things and you may have heard a few mumbles but I never heard a whole theater laugh, and from what I've seen your theater may be the only one that had a negative reaction, so it makes me question your post.

You just try too hard to rile up people. It's not that you are critical, because that's fine, but 90% you aren't even critical just negative for negative's sake.

I honestly doubt they laughed. I've seen well respected bands do laughable cringeworthy things and you may have heard a few mumbles but I never heard a whole theater laugh, and from what I've seen your theater may be the only one that had a negative reaction, so it makes me question your post.

Losing all credibility by saying Michael Mann is a hack as well, even if you found PE a disappointment, it doesn't take back his work on The Insider, Heat, Collateral, etc. But if you'd rather have Michael Bay, go ahead and take him.

i'm really sick of this blatantly simplistic hippie mentality. this "U2 have sold out" bullshit. as long as their music sounds good, WHO GIVES A FUCK?!!! bono can get the blackberry logo tattoed on his ass and flaunt it at concerts for all i care, as long as they're still making good music

yes what they have been doing for the last decade is in direct contradiction with their zoo tv philosophy, but that is only becuz they have become much, much smarter now. saying things like "consumerism is bad", "corporations are evil".....what trite bullshit!! nothing is this black and white, and whilst there are many GOOD arguments against issues like consumerism & endorsements etc, if you're only opposing them becuz u'r in a punk/rock band and that's the "cool" thing to do, u'r a bunch of mindless sheep!

some ppl also criticize them for making excessively commerical, mainstream music these days. again, so fucking what!?? U2 are very open about their intent to be a band for the MASSES! they are goin to make mainstream music. DEAL WITH IT. stop expecting them to do what radiohead is doing. and stop expecting them to return to their zoo tv mindset.

even edgar allan poe said that to be appreciated you have to be READ. and guess what? his mainstream works were pretty fucking good. just like U2's

THAT WAS A GOOOOOOD MUTHER FUCKIN' POST MUTHER FUCKER!!!!!!!!
samuel+jackson+1.jpg

I first saw the ad in a theatre at a packed sold out midnight Harry Potter show. Most the audience was teens and young adults, but also a good amount of adults 30-50 ish. (There were almost no children, maybe 3 or 4) I expected some sort of reaction but there was mostly none, besides myself and maybe a couple other people who said yay!
Saw it again in sold out theatres (same movie) twice more, and not a single reaction, once there was even dead silence. I was surprised but I guess that's better than boos :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom