My thoughts on 'No Line On The Horizon' circa 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and U2DMfan, I think you are being a little too harsh on Breathe. :wink: It doesn't sound so forced to me. To me, it's a bright spot amidst the plodding White As Snow and Cedars.

4) Stand Up Comedy, which I hated from the get-go is even worse to my ears now. Good god.

:lol:

Yeah, that song... well, I like the Zeppelinesque quality to it. And I like the music in the bridge type section. But the lyrics are simply atrocious! lol. "Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" WTF?!!

I actually loved that lyric wasn't fond of "napoleon is in high heels"

Oh and U2DMfan, I think you are being a little too harsh on Breathe. :wink: It doesn't sound so forced to me. To me, it's a bright spot amidst the plodding White As Snow and Cedars.

:lol:

Yeah, that song... well, I like the Zeppelinesque quality to it. And I like the music in the bridge type section. But the lyrics are simply atrocious! lol. "Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" WTF?!!

The fact that I love Zep to death probably makes me hate it even more. I guess some part of me admires the attempt? Maybe. Eh, they can't all be winner, especially for this version of the band.

With all the trashing of the middle three, I think their biggest problem is that they are grouped together in the middle of the album. I think we could name 3 songs that stylistically are strange in every U2 album, and as such may draw the same ire if they were grouped together in the middle of their respective albums.

The album would benefit greatly from mixing those three throughout the album. It would then just become a situation where there was 2 or 3 songs you didn't like as much on a really good album. FWIW, I would have ordered it:

1. Cedars of Lebanon (I thought it would have been a great tour opener too)
2. Magnificent (Intro kicks in and takes the album up)
3. Get on Your Boots (Not a bad way to keep lifting the tempo)
4. Unknown Caller (typical u2 ordering, 3rd or 4th song takes the tempo right back)
5. Crazy Tonight (Flows nicely from UC)
6. Fez-Being Born (good flow from CT)
7. White As Snow (Flows well from F-BB)
8. No Line on the Horizon (Good flow from WAS)
9. Stand Up Comedy (Rocker wedges between NLOTH and Breathe hides it a bit)
10. Breathe (Love it 2nd last, keeps the album rolling along)
11. Moment of Surrender (fantastic closer)

I quite like this album. Without hesitation, it would be my '00s U2 album of choice to take on a island game-thing (you know what I mean). Its not a perfect album by any means but its been aging well.

No Line... - gets me hyped everytime. Don't be in the car with me with this one. My kids are ashamed. They think their dad's "whoa whoa whoaasss" are going to lose them some friends. They're probably right, but it can't be helped.

Magnificent - To me, this is In God's Country-like U2 branding, but at the same time, it feels fresh and infectious. I really enjoy this studio version. I don't like the live version all that much. It seems to deflate. I probably had higher expectations for it live. I think the band felt the same way about it when they tried to do something to it on the last leg.

Moment of Surrender - Everything Brian Eno says about this song is absolutely true. Magical. There is an air about it that reminds me of Bad. I still can't believe that this wasn't a single, but then again, maybe it is a blessing that it wasn't one. It would of been an edit. I love it live too, but they're really quite different.

Unknown Caller - Great song. The Lanois/Band influence is noticeable and I'm all for that sound. The Edge is the star of this one.

Crazy Tonight - Did nothing for me until I heard it live.

Boots - Pretty much the same comment as above to a lesser degree. It has some brilliant parts to it. Surprisingly, I quite enjoy the Fish Out Of Water remix.

Stand Up Comedy - Still shocked that they never attempted this one live. An okay song, but probably my least played of them all.

FEZ-Being Born - Here the album gets a great lift and it sounds like the U2 I want more of. The one that would ignore Paul and listen to Eno more. Fuck the singles. Just play the music and make of it what you will. I think we're damn lucky to have a track like this on the album. I can only imagine that it must of been on the bubble several times.

White As Snow - Has its moments, but not quite going anywhere. It still gets quite a few plays every now and then. I'm clearly in the Eno camp that felt that Winter should of been on this album. It probably should of been in this very spot too.

Breathe - I like this one quite a bit and its a very strong track to find so far into a U2 album. I think of all the dropped tracks from the album on the later legs, I miss this one most.

Cedars Of Lebanon - I feel the same about this track as I do about FEZ-Being Born. Its a great closer.

Writing these comments, I am reminded that Eno and Lanois were involved early in the song writing of this album and that this was unlike any of their previous experiences with U2. It was a different sounding U2. Part of me wishes they would of let go even more on this one. I think its why its just short of being a masterpiece for me.

1. Cedars of Lebanon (I thought it would have been a great tour opener too
I think Cedars is brilliant as I said earlier in this thread, but it's probably the last song I'd want to hear as a tour opener. I think it would kill the mood and the excitement of 99% of the people immediately....

MOS is the best thing U2 has recorded since Streets, and is one of U2's five best songs.

NLOTH is a pretty amazing song, and ranks among the 00's best. This one just gets stronger for me. There's something really special about this song that I can't put my finger on..it just gets better and better with ever listen. They caught lightning here. The album version is the preferred one.

Fez-Being Born is beautiful, and one of the most unique things U2 has produced. Eno and Lanois are all over this one.

The rest of the record is composed of some ambitious, but flawed songs that I like, a bit of paint by numbers U2 that I can take or leave, and some serious misfires.

I probably have a harder time getting a handle on NLOTH than any other U2 record, probably because it's so uneven. I loved it when it came out, but that might just be because I was relieved it was so much better, and more ambitious, than the awful HTDAAB. Today I guess I'm not quite as enamored with it as I was, but the stuff that's good on it is VERY good, and that makes up for its significant flaws.

^^ I think Cedars is brilliant as I said earlier in this thread, but it's probably the last song I'd want to hear as a tour opener. I think it would kill the mood and the excitement of 99% of the people immediately....

I suppose I'm saying tour opener in the same sort of context that Soon was - Not necessarily played by the band.

I think they could have done something really special with some video on the screen in complete darkness. Maybe the band could have played some of it while walking on stage? Maybe it could have been an audio track and Bono sings it live?

I just think that a reflective start for the pre-show stuff would have been killer then launching into Breathe.

Nick, do you think HTDAAB is legitimately awful, or, as a lot of us approach our U2 album descriptions, awful relative to their other output?

Also, are you an ATYCLB fan?

I loved it when it came out, but that might just be because I was relieved it was so much better, and more ambitious, than the awful HTDAAB. Today I guess I'm not quite as enamored with it as I was, but the stuff that's good on it is VERY good, and that makes up for its significant flaws.

This is pretty similar to how I feel about it (although I don't think Bomb is awful). The only song I actively dislike on it is Stand Up Comedy. The album version of Crazy Tonight is too slight for what I prefer out of U2, but it has its charms.

Upon first listen (I had only heard Boots and about 5 seconds of Magnificent before the album was released), the two songs that stood out to me the most with that "WOW" factor were the title track and Cedars.

I suppose I'm saying tour opener in the same sort of context that Soon was - Not necessarily played by the band.

I think they could have done something really special with some video on the screen in complete darkness. Maybe the band could have played some of it while walking on stage? Maybe it could have been an audio track and Bono sings it live?

I just think that a reflective start for the pre-show stuff would have been killer then launching into Breathe.
That makes it more plausible. Soon - Fez Being Born - Boots/No Line or Soon - No Line would've been killer.

Nick, do you think HTDAAB is legitimately awful, or, as a lot of us approach our U2 album descriptions, awful relative to their other output?

Also, are you an ATYCLB fan?

Well, yeah, it's relative to their other records. I just remember being very disappointed with Bomb when it came out. I bought the CD at the airport the day it came out, and listened to it the first time on a flight from LA to Auckland, and was really looking forward to playing it again and again. But I just kept being disappointed and the whole thing just sounded like they were on cruise control and playing it way too safe after ATYCLB (which I liked quite a bit). Most of the tracks just sounded bland to me, almost like U2 muzak, and the whole experience was just really disappointing. I still can't figure out what people see in SYCMIOYO.

It was as if U2 was so protective of their newly-regained precious relevance and return to biggest band in the world status that they were afraid to do anything else besides try to replicate what put them there...and that was really disappointing.

Having said that, Bomb gave us COBL, which is brilliant and one of 00's U2's best. And Vertigo, while not a personal favourite, was definitely an amazing single for them and admittedly had an infectious hook. Original of the Species and Miracle Drug have their moments, but for the most part I just think the whole record is the most unoriginal, uninspired and flat thing U2 has put out.

So yeah, "awful" is probably too strong a term and not an accurate descriptor for this record...more than anything it was just mediocre...which is probably worse than being awful, because to be truly awful U2 has fail massively while trying to achieve greatness...which they didn't even attempt here.

It's my favourite album. Love the opening. Love the variation. Love how lyrically and stylistcally it tells, no, teaches a story. It's amazing they pulled this one out of the bag.

Well, yeah, it's relative to their other records. I just remember being very disappointed with Bomb when it came out. I bought the CD at the airport the day it came out, and listened to it the first time on a flight from LA to Auckland, and was really looking forward to playing it again and again. But I just kept being disappointed and the whole thing just sounded like they were on cruise control and playing it way too safe after ATYCLB (which I liked quite a bit). Most of the tracks just sounded bland to me, almost like U2 muzak, and the whole experience was just really disappointing. I still can't figure out what people see in SYCMIOYO.

It was as if U2 was so protective of their newly-regained precious relevance and return to biggest band in the world status that they were afraid to do anything else besides try to replicate what put them there...and that was really disappointing.

Having said that, Bomb gave us COBL, which is brilliant and one of 00's U2's best. And Vertigo, while not a personal favourite, was definitely an amazing single for them and admittedly had an infectious hook. Original of the Species and Miracle Drug have their moments, but for the most part I just think the whole record is the most unoriginal, uninspired and flat thing U2 has put out.

Thanks.

The trap I fall into is a personal one in that ATYCLB was a disappointment for me....and so I wind up always linking it and HTDAAB and I like Bomb better....so it likely earns points in my head by virtue of that comparison alone. I don't know what the thought is here on this part of the site but over in Random, the thought seems to be that Bomb as an album is less than the sum of its parts....decent to good songs but the album as a whole just isn't there....but you said one thing I often say myself when Bomb is attacked or certain fans wish U2 would have stopped after Pop...and that's even if the album yielded just COBL, that would be justification enough for its existence (I'm also a fool for Crumbs, so that might render my opinion on all things invalid :). Vertigo is fun in concert, for me at least.

Oh, and I'm not a big SYCMIYO fan either. I much prefer A Man and a Woman, which seems to garner much hate on the site.

Lastly, I can't tell you how many times I've timed my initial listen to an album, U2 or otherwise, around a flight....like, I won't book a flight to coincide with such a thing, but I have delayed listening to an album for a few days so I could listen as I flew.

It's my favourite album. Love the opening. Love the variation. Love how lyrically and stylistcally it tells, no, teaches a story. It's amazing they pulled this one out of the bag.

:up:

I disagree, it's not my favorite record, but for some reason I love hearing it when people say NLOTH is their favorite, and why.

Thanks.

The trap I fall into is a personal one in that ATYCLB was a disappointment for me....and so I wind up always linking it and HTDAAB and I like Bomb better....so it likely earns points in my head by virtue of that comparison alone. I don't know what the thought is here on this part of the site but over in Random, the thought seems to be that Bomb as an album is less than the sum of its parts....decent to good songs but the album as a whole just isn't there....but you said one thing I often say myself when Bomb is attacked or certain fans wish U2 would have stopped after Pop...and that's even if the album yielded just COBL, that would be justification enough for its existence (I'm also a fool for Crumbs, so that might render my opinion on all things invalid :). Vertigo is fun in concert, for me at least.

Oh, and I'm not a big SYCMIYO fan either. I much prefer A Man and a Woman, which seems to garner much hate on the site.

Lastly, I can't tell you how many times I've timed my initial listen to an album, U2 or otherwise, around a flight....like, I won't book a flight to coincide with such a thing, but I have delayed listening to an album for a few days so I could listen as I flew.

Yeah, I agree about COBL...Bomb, if anything, gave us that. Though I think mostly there's at least one song on every U2 record that makes it all worth it. Mostly.

I also "save" listening to personally anticipated new releases for trips...plane, train, automobile or bike. I saved Arcade Fire's Neon Bible for a month before listening on a bike trip between Sydney and Melbourne. No point in wasting great music on mundane activities...at least on initial listens, if I'm going to hear something special, I'll always remember where I heard it, so might as well make it memorable (though most of the time it's by accident).

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

2. The song 'Magnificent' really is a U2 classic, in my opinion. It encompasses and encapsulates all that we love about U2! Plus, every band member's contribution is excellent here, be it Larry's soaring intro, Adam's steady but booming baseline, Edge's classic guitar sound and last but not least, really great vocals by Bono. Why it wasn't released as a first single could be one of the greatest U2 mysteries ever!! It would've catapulted the album into the stratosphere!

:up: I like Magnificent, too! It sounds great in my car with the volume up; that guitar sound at the beginning is especially good.

I don't think Atomic Bomb is such a bad album as others around here say, though yeah, it hasn't aged well. For me, the difference between ATYCLB and Bomb is that the latter seems to think it is revolutionary, but it's really not. Neither is the former, but at least it doesn't feel like it makes any pretense to be anything bigger than it is. Bomb and the Vertigo tour are U2 at its most blatantly U2-ey, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing.

As for NLOTH, I agree that it had so much potential, but the band chickened out halfway through. If they'd kept to their original intent, this might have been in their top 3 albums for me. As it stands, though, it's enjoyable enough. I'm harsher on the individual songs, but I like it the album as a whole. Still sounds fresh to my ears.

No Line on the Horizon: Love the music and the energy, but I don't think the lyrics are up to par. A great idea that unfortunately wasn't fully realized. Still my second favorite song here.
Magnificent: I don't understand the appeal. It sounds like the band wrote it in their sleep. Not a terrible song, but bland.
Moment of Surrender: This one didn't grow on me until I listened to the live performances. Good song, but the "ATM machine" line drags it down a bit.
Unknown Caller: Nice intro, but atrocious lyrics.
Crazy Tonight: I like this one. The studio version, that is. The lyrics and the melody are great.
Boots: The song is too confused about what it's trying to be. Cringeworthy lyrics.
Stand Up Comedy: It may be guilty fun from time to time, but it's still bad. "Stand up, then sit down for your love" may just be the worst line Bono has ever written. That I can remember, anyway.
Fez - Being Born: Love it. My favorite track on the album, and the one that most represents the original concept of the album. Would have worked well as an album opener.
White as Snow: It has a good melody and lovely lyrics, but it doesn't seem to quite take off as it should. Just feels like there's something missing, I'm not sure what.
Breathe: Don't understand the appeal of this one either. Upbeat and fun, but that's about it. :reject:
Cedars: Good song. Nothing remarkable, though.

What about Bono's idea of writing in different characters on this album? I don't think they have much personality, so it doesn't feel like they're not meant to be Bono, but it doesn't feel like Bono either. My biggest problem with NLOTH (the album) is that it seems a little detached for U2, mostly as Bono seems to be distancing himself a bit. That obviously bugs me, though it's fair enough if the band feel the need to step back slightly. But I have to wonder if it's the cause or the effect of Bono claiming to want to write in different characters. It worked on ZooTV because we could see him clearly through the guises, but here it doesn't feel much like Bono anymore. :shrug:

No Line On The Horizon has a different tracklist for 2 years on my iPod, and that's the way I like to listen to it and that I find it perfect:

1. Soon | 2. No Line On The Horizon | 3. Magnificent | 4. Moment Of Surrender | 5. Unknown Caller | 6. Breathe | 7. Get On Your Boots | 8. Fez-Being Born | 9. Winter [Linear v.] | 10. White As Snow | 11. Cedars Of Lebanon

"Soon" is too good for not having been the intro of NLOTH and preceed the title track. It's very Eno, but it's awesome.
I dislike the "butter on toast" line, but I always liked the original version of "Winter" and idea of being a cousin-song to "White As Snow" always made wanted it to be on the album before this last one: and it fits. I don't mind if it sounds like Coldplay and I still don't think that's it's a demo or that it's unfinished (it sounds finished to me).
"Crazy Tonight", instrumentally speaking although U2-clichéd is quite pleasant. The problem is Bono's lyrics: random lines he probably wrote here and there and then tried to merge in a full song. Doesn't work. And although pleasant, instrumentally, U2 have dozens of songs that sound like "Crazy Tonight", so... get off my tracklist. About the live arrangement, I'd prefer U2 would use that instrumental to write a new song over it and rearrange it, instead of putting Bono singing those random clichéd lines over that dancefloor tune.
"Stand Up Parody" is U2 trying to sound like RHCP, but failing clamorously. And those lyrics... Hew... It's one of U2's worst career moments. I don't even listen to it no longer.
I like "Get On Your Boots". I do. More than "Vertigo" or "Elevation". It may sound weird, but I quite like of what sounds like the fusion of 2 or 3 songs in just a 3-minute one. Lyrically it's not NLOTH worst point, it's acceptable. I'll always see it as a song of feminism written by a man.
I just love the instrumental of "Unknown Caller". But the lyrics... They don't really botter me, in fact, but I admit that it doesn't have some happiness in the execution of the lyrics. I wish it could've been better accepted by the live audiences.
"Moment Of Surrender" still is not my favourite, because it reminds me too much of "Your Blue Room", but I like it. It's a good song and thank God they did not edit it into a 3:30 ballad. Good instrumental, but I'd dismiss the cheesyness of the "Wedding day" and the awkwardness of the "ATM machine" lyrics. It also would've been a good single.
"Breathe"... I like it and I listen to it a lot in fact, but I don't think it's that special at all. Aside from the Bono-singing, it could've been a HTDAAB leftover, judging on the arrangement, and the lyrics are typical-Bono.
"No Line On The Horizon" is a good track. Too bad it didn't grow even more on the shows.
If U2's career could be represented by only one song, I'd choose "Magnificent". The lyrics aren't huge, but they're honest and they fit like a glove in the most common theme in U2's catalogue. The Edge's guitarplaying is classical, it's as his signature. Larry's and Adam's work reminds us a little of U2's most daring period creatively. It should've been the first single.
"Cedars Of Lebanon" is very cinematic, and I wish U2 would took this creative path more frequently. It's a nice production choice putting Bono speaking rather than singing those lines.
"White As Snow" is simply beautiful. The lyrics are very descriptive and I perfectly can picture what Bono's describing everytime I listen to it. The instrumental is sublime. It's a shame that the band didn't even dare rehearsing it (at least that I know...).

It's a better album than the previous ones, but still it's not at U2's best standards.
Well, all the last 3 albums, on my iPod, have heavilly revised tracklists, specially ATYCLB, which is the album in U2's catalogue which I don't really care of (aside one or two tracks). Still NLOTH has the biggest number of better tracks of all the last three albums.

Really enjoy reading everyone’s posts, almost as much as hearing Larry’s hopes after they wrap up their work in the studio…

No line – Larry’s drums are too low in the mix, much prefer the live version and his approach. The bridge should be more epic but the guitar doesn’t seem full enough to get that eureka moment.

Magnificent – Strange intro, not really a preview to what is ahead. Larry is back in the mix. Good U2 song. Doesn’t really fit the mold of new direction, I could do without the hand claps

Moment – I can see why this song gets so much hype & praise. Can’t stand the hand claps, the electronic drum hi-hat especially in the chorus and yes like others have said “ATM machine”. I do like the “stations of the cross” line though.

Unknown caller – Having heard the early versions, I thought this had potential to be a real big anthem. I like Larry’s work on here, the French horn and then The Edge’s solo – that is a big moment. Gives me chills every time.

Crazy tonight – Heard will.i.am worked on this, that didn’t help my perception. Good drums, some nice guitar and bass. Don’t know where Bono is going with this one. Single version is better I feel and is on my custom album.

Boots – There was excitement amongst fans with the beach clips of Sexy Boots. When I first heard on radio premier, I was baffled. What was that! Why have artificial percussion dominate & drown out what Larry is playing? Bono up to his Original of the species lyric writing standards, cringe. Chorus saves it.

Stand up – Appreciate the drums and what The Edge is trying to do, but Bono “c’mon all ye people”! Really liked the early version in the U2.com video clip, think they should’ve gone with that instead of trying to force a rock song out.

Fez – Very different. I like the lack of lyric from Bono, less is more. Could do without repetitive “ah” though. It sounds like they didn’t quite finish the song, but it is an enjoyable listen. More of that guitar from The Edge

White as snow – I love this song, not convinced of it’s placement on the album’s flow. I think there is a good contribution from the entire band on this one. Not often Bono lifts his intensity and the music doesn’t go with him, lovely touch.

Breathe – Hearing the beach clip & Edge describing it as an f off live rocker, the version that made it was a let down. Still a good song but I feel it could’ve been so much more. “These days” doesn’t belong on there.

Cedars – I don’t listen to this song often, I’d rather end with the previous track. I’m sure it’s good, but I’m not sure it fits the mood of the album either.

I still like the album overall, I don’t listen to albums all that much as I’d rather compile CD’s of my favourite tracks live & album. But it would be one of very few albums I would listen to. I hear so much potential of what could’ve been & what could be next. Early previews of the sessions were saying it was upbeat & people on here were counting the “rock” tunes to be included. Maybe they were scared of being called a rock band and The Edge decided to dull it down a few notches. I hear that in the title track, Crazy tonight, Boots, Stand up & Breathe, in particular.

U2 will always use the studio as an instrument but that should never overshadow the primary colours of guitar, bass & drums. Drums: I want to hear the crack of Larry’s snare and for the most part on 360° that was missing. For the next U2 album I want to hear those primary colours above everything else and to be complimented by some deep, meaningful & passionate vocals from Bono with occasional backing from The Edge & maybe even Larry. No more rhapsodising and artificial sound instrumentation leads, please

With all the trashing of the middle three, I think their biggest problem is that they are grouped together in the middle of the album. I think we could name 3 songs that stylistically are strange in every U2 album, and as such may draw the same ire if they were grouped together in the middle of their respective albums.

The album would benefit greatly from mixing those three throughout the album. It would then just become a situation where there was 2 or 3 songs you didn't like as much on a really good album. FWIW, I would have ordered it:

1. Cedars of Lebanon (I thought it would have been a great tour opener too)
2. Magnificent (Intro kicks in and takes the album up)
3. Get on Your Boots (Not a bad way to keep lifting the tempo)
4. Unknown Caller (typical u2 ordering, 3rd or 4th song takes the tempo right back)
5. Crazy Tonight (Flows nicely from UC)
6. Fez-Being Born (good flow from CT)
7. White As Snow (Flows well from F-BB)
8. No Line on the Horizon (Good flow from WAS)
9. Stand Up Comedy (Rocker wedges between NLOTH and Breathe hides it a bit)
10. Breathe (Love it 2nd last, keeps the album rolling along)
11. Moment of Surrender (fantastic closer)

I agree with this, i've always thought that cramming those three songs together is such an awkward and bizarre thing to do. Your track listing works better in that sense, even if I am struggling to imagine Cedarse being much of an opener. A lovely song. Brilliant.

I remain a big fan of the Linear DvD tracklisting, and while I enjoy I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, I'd prefer Winter (original, didn't like the latter version) if it improves the flow, which it does.

It's a special album. Criminally under appreciated.

I can't believe the ATM lyric still bothers people. I can't believe the ATM lyric ever bothered people. And given the POV style of these songs, I'm not entirely certain it was a mistake. As cliche' ridden as a lot of Bono's lyrics are, this line is a minor offender, if at all. I wouldn't change a word of it.

It's a great song. Let it go.

I can't believe the ATM lyric still bothers people. I can't believe the ATM lyric ever bothered people. And given the POV style of these songs, I'm not entirely certain it was a mistake. As cliche' ridden as a lot of Bono's lyrics are, this line is a minor offender, if at all. I wouldn't change a word of it.

It's a great song. Let it go.

:up:

I never got why people complained in the first place. People say "ATM machine" all the time. Would they preferred he have sung "I was punching in the numbers / at the automatic teller machine" or "I was punching in the numbers / at the ATM"??

I have no problem with machine machine as it is (I'd never even think of it if people didn't complain), but in a song full of heavy lyrics with crucifixion and suicide symbolism, suddenly that pops up and it takes me out of the song in terms of how misplaced it is.

I have no problem with machine machine as it is (I'd never even think of it if people didn't complain), but in a song full of heavy lyrics with crucifixion and suicide symbolism, suddenly that pops up and it takes me out of the song in terms of how misplaced it is.

Except it's not misplaced, at all, and fits in with the themes of the song perfectly. And I'm not sure I agree about the "suicide symbolism".

What's misplaced about it? The protagonist finds himself broken and vulnerable in an otherwise mundane situation and what he discovers about himself haunts him from thereafter. What's more mundane than an ATM?

Anyway, it's good that the "heavy lyrics" are paired with concrete realities such as ATMs and subways so that the listener can mentally form an image of some kind about the storyline. Otherwise it would come across as a rant about various abstract concepts, set to music.

Do you think that's because you post here? It pops out for me too, but that's only because I read so many posts whinging about it in the months after its release.

Back
Top Bottom