My thoughts on 'No Line On The Horizon' circa 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Hive is a collective on Interference that "assists" other members in determining how to think about U2 and their music.

For example, upon coming to Interference, you may have thought that 80's U2 was superior to 90's U2; or you agree with the band that Pop was a mistake; or perhaps you foolishly thought "One" was a good song, maybe even better than LWTSH; you may have believed that somewhere, sometime, a song was recorded by someone that is better than "Acrobat"; perhaps you believe the band, their record label and their representatives when they say the reissue of Achtung Baby was not remastered; maybe you judged U2's music on its merits using your own individual taste, and not on how obscure it is and whether it was pulled out of mothballs for the most recent tour; or perhaps you have other things to do in your life other than to hang out in the Random Music Threads, jacking up your post count.

If you naively believed any of these "incorrect" thoughts, The Hive will help educate you.

The most important part of Hive membership, however, is to vehemently insist that your opinions are your own and that you're not influenced by others. You may even deny sharing any opinions with other Hive members. The stronger you do this, the more likely it is you're a member. Oh, and you have to take comments about The Hive way, way too seriously. If it's easy to get you worked up, you're probably a member.

Stay here long enough, and eventually you'll be assimilated. Otherwise, you're free to make up your own mind. While you have one.
I honestly have no idea if I'm supposed to be a member of the Hive, but I appreciate having the gauntlet thrown down so we know exactly what we're talking about.

Anyway:

No Line on the Horizon is a good song, though I wish they'd have used the chorus from NLOTH2. But that live version kicks. Good drum work from Lawrence.

Magnificent is really overrated. It's boring, mostly because of The Edge. The verses are a snooze and the solo is a complete waste of time.

Moment of Surrender is very good. I just wish Bono wouldn't rap over the outro on the live version. That's my favorite part of the song, Edge's little arpeggio there to finish it out.

Unknown Caller has great verses and a decent guitar solo, but the chorus lyrics are brutal. I know I'm not the only one with that opinion, but it really does ruin the song for me, how stupid the chorus is on this song.

Crazy Tonight is whatever.

Get on Your Boots is a good live song. The studio is what it is.

Stand Up Comedy is a grandmother crossing a street or something. Ugh.

Fez-Being Born is excellent. The part with Bono just shouting is supreme. It's got tension U2 hasn't put in a song in a while.

White as Snow is alright. Would have been a nice B-side since it's basically a re-written Christian song, but that's splitting hairs I guess.

Breathe is good. Not great, but good. Nothing really to hate aside from strange lyrical choices, but musically everything is enjoyable.

I like Cedars of Lebanon. This is interesting guitar work from Edge, which we haven't been able to say very often during the last few albums. When I think of minimalist guitar approach, I think of this, not his weak solos on Magnfiicent or Moment of Surrender. And Bono has a solid lyrical song, another event that's been fewer and far between.

So, yeah. No Line on the Horizon. Probably around the middle if I ranked U2's albums.

Anyway:

No Line on the Horizon is a good song, though I wish they'd have used the chorus from NLOTH2. But that live version kicks. Good drum work from Lawrence.

Magnificent is really overrated. It's boring, mostly because of The Edge. The verses are a snooze and the solo is a complete waste of time.

Moment of Surrender is very good. I just wish Bono wouldn't rap over the outro on the live version. That's my favorite part of the song, Edge's little arpeggio there to finish it out.

Unknown Caller has great verses and a decent guitar solo, but the chorus lyrics are brutal. I know I'm not the only one with that opinion, but it really does ruin the song for me, how stupid the chorus is on this song.

Crazy Tonight is whatever.

Get on Your Boots is a good live song. The studio is what it is.

Stand Up Comedy is a grandmother crossing a street or something. Ugh.

Fez-Being Born is excellent. The part with Bono just shouting is supreme. It's got tension U2 hasn't put in a song in a while.

White as Snow is alright. Would have been a nice B-side since it's basically a re-written Christian song, but that's splitting hairs I guess.

Breathe is good. Not great, but good. Nothing really to hate aside from strange lyrical choices, but musically everything is enjoyable.

I like Cedars of Lebanon. This is interesting guitar work from Edge, which we haven't been able to say very often during the last few albums. When I think of minimalist guitar approach, I think of this, not his weak solos on Magnfiicent or Moment of Surrender. And Bono has a solid lyrical song, another event that's been fewer and far between.

So, yeah. No Line on the Horizon. Probably around the middle if I ranked U2's albums.

I more or less agree with this. I see where you are coming from regarding Magnificent. But I still enjoy the heck out of that song when I'm in the right mood and still feel that it encapsulates their overall sound very well. Good point about White As Snow! It does sounds more suitable for B-side material now that you mention it.

I feel that White As Snow makes far more sense in album context than it would outside of it. The lyrical content paints pictures of dying exotic landscapes that exist in the same world as Fez, and its music puts it in a favorable position on the album too; place Breathe earlier on the record and shift Brothers Winter into the penultimate spot and you have something special.

I think there is an argument to be made for NLOTH being an excellent 9 track album and a good but compromised 11 track album. They've made 40 minute albums before (TUF) and they went over just fine. No reason to weigh it down unnecessarily.

1. NLOTH
2. Breathe
3. Magnificent
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller
6. Fez-Being Born
7. White As Snow
8. Winter (Brothers)
9. Cedars of Lebanon

I could also imagine Breathe working well between Fez and White As Snow.

I feel that White As Snow makes far more sense in album context than it would outside of it. The lyrical content paints pictures of dying yet exotic landscapes that exist in the same world as Fez

Well, you make a good point too! lol. Anyway, I really do not have much problem with the album except for the middle 3 to 4 songs... with or without Unknown Caller, which is such a mixed bag.

Your alternate tracklist looks cool. I haven't really heard that other version of Winter though. Will have to find it. :)

I'm on such a high after the first three tracks that Unknown Caller ends up slipping by me. Plus, it starts off really well. Most of my disdain gets placed on Crazy Tonight and everything that follows, though UC has its own share of flaws.

Really sucks how close U2 were to something great. MOS is my favorite U2 song in 10 years and Bono speaking through characters is a revelation. It works great more often than not. The well of first person heart-on-sleeve confessionals had run dry.

I think Unknown Caller has an interesting concept that couldn't be executed. The lyrics doesn't match the original concept. I'm fine with the song and I like Edge's guitar work, but the song obviously was made with a live setting in mind that just didn't work, no matter how hard Bono tried. The lyrics in the chorus aren't great, but I like the verses. I have a feeling that there could have been much more to this song if they had tried a little harder, but it ended up a bit dull which is a shame. Still, overall, if you don't listen to the lyrics too closely, it's a great song and certainly an interesting concept/idea.

1. NLOTH
2. Breathe
3. Magnificent
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller
6. Fez-Being Born
7. White As Snow
8. Winter (Brothers)
9. Cedars of Lebanon

Maybe this could work as a concept album, but I kind of see this track list as a downer. Aside from maybe the first three songs, this is very dark- and not in a sleazy great Achtung Baby way. I think WAS, Winter and Cedars would be too much. (I'm not a huge fan of any of them- they're ok).

I know a lot of grief gets put on the middle three songs, but if Boots hadn't been released as the lead single, I wonder if it wouldn't be so offensive. I don't mind it. Adding back that, or maybe a reworked Crazy Tonight (how, I don't know), might break up the monotony.

Maybe this could work as a concept album

It's called Linear. :wink: The problem is that they spent hardly any time fleshing out a setting, characters, etc. There are a number of repeated themes and images that pop up throughout the album. It's just a natural part of recording an album in such an exotic locale, I guess; you hear little bits of Morocco here and there, and that's cool. It's unique. The track listing I proposed is a downer (then again, Pop is a downer, and I adore that album's dark ending), but it brings out the aspect of the sessions that makes them special. The middle trio completely throws it out. TUF works fine with only a couple true rockers, so I think NLOTH can too.

The more I think about it, the more I like Breathe closer to where it was, and might as well throw in Soon; NLOTH's fade in seems to naturally succeed something else:

1. Soon
2. NLOTH
3. Magnificent
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller
6. Fez-Being Born
7. Breathe
8. White As Snow
9. Winter (Brothers)
10. Cedars of Lebanon

It's called Linear. :wink: The problem is that they spent hardly any time fleshing out a setting, characters, etc. There are a number of repeated themes and images that pop up throughout the album. It's just a natural part of recording an album in such an exotic locale, I guess; you hear little bits of Morocco here and there, and that's cool. It's unique. The track listing I proposed is a downer (then again, Pop is a downer, and I adore that album's dark ending), but it brings out the aspect of the sessions that makes them special. The middle trio completely throws it out. TUF works fine with only a couple true rockers, so I think NLOTH can too.

I agree with this for the most part, and like your track listing.

I'm not sure the problem was not fleshing out the "characters" though. I never really bought the idea of U2 doing a "concept" album. They used to mock stuff like that, and I'm not certain their hearts were entirely in doing it. I think it was half hearted at best.

I was so excited when I heard they were recording in Morocco (a place I've been to many times and love) and would incorporate the sound and vibe of Fez into the music. For the most part though, very little of that came through on the record. It would have been a much more interesting, and courageous record had they followed through. Something happened putting NLOTH together that derailed all that. I really don't know what happened, though I remember reading something about pressure from the label (maybe it was Brian or Danny who said this)...which I didn't believe at the time because it's hard for me to imagine a band of U2's stature letting the label tell them what to do. But perhaps they did get cold feet that they weren't making an accessible or commercial enough record.

Hmmmmm. My feeling is that they got really spooked by the reception Pop got, so went really safe with ATYLB and then hit it on cruise control for Bomb once they were on top again. Then they got a little frustrated as artists, and decided (or got the courage) to experiment and explore their boundaries a bit with NLOTH. But at some point during that, they got cold feet and pulled back a bit. The result is the uneven mix of attempts at pop hits and interesting stuff we ended up with.

It's a pity, because I love parts of this album so much, and so much of it is just so very wrong. Definitely U2's most schizophrenic record.

1. Soon
2. NLOTH
3. Magnificent
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller
6. Fez-Being Born
7. Breathe
8. White As Snow
9. Winter (Brothers)
10. Cedars of Lebanon

This works better for me. I like the addition of Soon. And I agree with Nick that it would have been stronger with more of the Moroccan vibe. More artistic, perhaps.

I've always liked the idea of Fez-Being Born as an album opener. That song really sounds as a departure. It's still my favourite of the record too.

I'm not sure the problem was not fleshing out the "characters" though. I never really bought the idea of U2 doing a "concept" album. They used to mock stuff like that, and I'm not certain their hearts were entirely in doing it. I think it was half hearted at best.

I was so excited when I heard they were recording in Morocco (a place I've been to many times and love) and would incorporate the sound and vibe of Fez into the music. For the most part though, very little of that came through on the record. It would have been a much more interesting, and courageous record had they followed through. Something happened putting NLOTH together that derailed all that. I really don't know what happened, though I remember reading something about pressure from the label (maybe it was Brian or Danny who said this)...which I didn't believe at the time because it's hard for me to imagine a band of U2's stature letting the label tell them what to do. But perhaps they did get cold feet that they weren't making an accessible or commercial enough record.

Hmmmmm. My feeling is that they got really spooked by the reception Pop got, so went really safe with ATYLB and then hit it on cruise control for Bomb once they were on top again. Then they got a little frustrated as artists, and decided (or got the courage) to experiment and explore their boundaries a bit with NLOTH. But at some point during that, they got cold feet and pulled back a bit. The result is the uneven mix of attempts at pop hits and interesting stuff we ended up with.

It's a pity, because I love parts of this album so much, and so much of it is just so very wrong. Definitely U2's most schizophrenic record.
I agree with pretty much all of that.

Adding back that, or maybe a reworked Crazy Tonight (how, I don't know), might break up the monotony.

I think the earlier version of Crazy Tonight (I believe its working title was Diorama) would have fit very well. There's a beach clip of it out there somewhere. From what little you can hear, its definitely a more atmospheric and experimental track that has a lot more little flourishes of electronic noise in it. Its almost along the lines of that U2.com video where Larry takes us through the studio and you can hear a song playing in the background as he enters.

I tried an alternate tracklisting, that I mostly like. However the one song whose placement I couldn't quite get right is NLOTH, surprisingly:

1. Fez-Being Born
2. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
3. Unknown Caller
4. Magnificent
5. Moment of Surrender
6. Stand Up Comedy
7. Get on your Boots
8. White As Snow
9. Cedars Of Lebanon
10. No Line On the Horizon
11. Breathe

I thought about placing NLOTH between WAS and COL, but I quite like those two songs together.

Moroccoo is overrated. It wasn't like Berlin in 1991, and it needn't be hyped. Eno himself said the Morocco sounds didn't really work in the end. And by their own admission, they were going on and on recording until they finally shaped out a record.

Back
Top Bottom