MTV's Top Ten U2 List Sucks Beyond Compare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey788

Refugee
A couple of days ago, MTV aired a special showing the top 10 U2 songs. I found this list online today on the @U2 forum and couldn't believe what I read. Here's the list.

10-Elevation
9 -Vertigo
8 -Stuck in a moment
7 -Discotheque
6 - Sweetest thing
5 - City of blinding lights
4 -Beautiful day
3 -One ( with Mary J!!)
2 -The Saints Are Coming
1 -WIndow in the skies

I have just one question. Is everyone at MTV incredibly high? Or are they just all stupid beyond comparison? I mean, really. Nothing from the 80s?!! Nothing from Achtung Baby except from MJB's version of One?

There is no hope left for MTV.

I can't believe any sane, rational person would expect MTV to do anything that DOESN'T suck these days.

I also can't believe MTV even bothers pretending it has anything to do with music anymore.

Joey788 said:
A couple of days ago, MTV aired a special showing the top 10 U2 songs. I found this list online today on the @U2 forum and couldn't believe what I read. Here's the list.

10-Elevation
9 -Vertigo
8 -Stuck in a moment
7 -Discotheque
6 - Sweetest thing
4 -Beautiful day
3 -One ( with Mary J!!)
2 -The Saints Are Coming
1 -WIndow in the skies

wtf ? :huh:

vertigo ?? :huh:

City of blinding lights???

Elevation?? :huh:

those are some of the worst U2 songs ever

ohh MTV :yawn:

Joey788 said:

10-Elevation
9 -Vertigo
8 -Stuck in a moment
7 -Discotheque
6 - Sweetest thing
4 -Beautiful day
3 -One ( with Mary J!!)
2 -The Saints Are Coming
1 -WIndow in the skies

I have just one question. Is everyone at MTV incredibly high? Or are they just all stupid beyond comparison? I mean, really. Nothing from the 80s?!! Nothing from Achtung Baby except from MJB's version of One?

terrible :tsk:

The saints are coming???!! Stuck in a moment??!!! Vertigo??!!! and just when you think they've got it right with One they choose the Mary J Blige version. Ugh!!!

Joey788 said:

10-Elevation
9 -Vertigo
8 -Stuck in a moment
7 -Discotheque
6 - Sweetest thing
4 -Beautiful day
3 -One ( with Mary J!!)
2 -The Saints Are Coming
1 -WIndow in the skies

1. The Fly
2. Until the End of the World
3. Please
4. Where the Streets Have No Name
5. Bad
6. Mysterious Ways
7. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
8. With or Without You
9. One Tree Hill
10. Heartland

You're welcome for the correction, MTV. :wink:

Last edited:
donotwant.gif

I find it even more baffling that MTV included Discotheque. What are the odds that if someone said the other songs were 9 of their top 10 favorites, the 10th song would be Discotheque? :huh:

Maybe it was Top Ten U2 of the last ten years. Literally none of those songs there came from before Discotheque in 1997 (considering the One they used was the MJB re-release).

Another explaination;

Maybe they were counting down the top 10 U2 music videos?
Even Better Than The Real Thing isn't on the list, so it's probably not the case, but might be a possibility.

catlhere said:
Another explaination;

Maybe they were counting down the top 10 U2 music videos?
Even Better Than The Real Thing isn't on the list, so it's probably not the case, but might be a possibility.

I thought that too but I checked the @U2 forum and it's the top 10 U2 songs, not the top 10 videos. And there was nothing about it being the past 10 years either.

No, MTV is just pathetic beyond belief.

MTV appeals to a very young audience. I am not even sure most of them really know who U2 are. MTV is about a totally different kind of "music". I wouldn't worry too much about that list, we all have known for years that MTV isn't to be taken seriously.

MTV just tries to give people who don't know U2 an introduction to the band. These are the most recent singles of U2. Only Discotheque is a strange choice.

MTV and music are mutually exclusive, didn't you know?

Although I fully agree with the addition of Discotheque, but more as an oddity.

Actually, for a list intended for 15 year olds, I'm surprised WOWY isn't on there. Quite a few friends of mine in high school (I graduated only last year, so this is still relevant) were mad for it.

i refuse to watch MTV because of its 'appeal to younger audiences' i mean I'm young, and probably put under that category but atleast I know the difference between whats trash and not. Sorry if I offended any huge MTV fans.

no wonder some people think u2 suck, one look at that list and i think u2 are no good.

add some songs from War, JT, Achtung Baby(u2's best album)
Zooropa, Pop and pick one song from the newer albums if you must.

shaun vox said:
no wonder some people think u2 suck, one look at that list and i think u2 are no good.

add some songs from War, JT, Achtung Baby(u2's best album)
Zooropa, Pop and pick one song from the newer albums if you must.

Hey Shaun, I thought you were banned?! Welcome back!

Could have saved a few keystrokes and titled the thread "MTV Sucks"

shaun vox said:

Agreed 100%. If people really think that this "is" U2....:tsk:

Who put the list together? The OP doesn't mention if it was viewer-created or made by some stupid MTV programming dud.

unico said:
holy shit, mtv showed music videos????

That's what I was going to say. I seriously don't think I've seen a single video on MTV in five or six years. It seems even MTV2 doesn't show them anymore.

super fly guy said:
Well after looking at the list,there is only one bad song in my opinion and thats One with MJB.

The real issue isn't whether the songs are bad....just that it's a ridiculous top ten list. None of the holy trinity, no war, no pride, no achtung, etc. It's pretty much a list made up by a 13-year-old whose older brother has ATYCLB and HTDAAB, and maybe heard Discotheque at a 90s party where everyone dressed up in neon colors and sweater vests for fun.

shaun vox said:

Agreed, thats what I thought.

But then U2 follows suit by adding those songs to U218 :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom