Most unique U2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oregoropa

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
We often describe some songs as U2 'paint by numbers'. But what songs are true outliers and break the mold?

Indian Summer Sky
Zooropa
Numb
Lemon
Mercy
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Mofo

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

We often describe some songs as U2 'paint by numbers'. But what songs are true outliers and break the mold?

Indian Summer Sky
Zooropa
Numb
Lemon
Mercy
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Mofo

I think that description of U2's songs as "paint by numbers" is awful. It's U2 sounding like U2. Who da thunk? :huh:

Unique songs:

Most of Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop are filled with unique songs. Numb has got to be the most unique song with Miami a close second.

It's gotta be The Wanderer.
Bono's voice sounds so much different in that song. I'm not quite sure what he did, but I can barely even tell it's him singing lead vocals.

Bono's voice sounds so much different in that song. I'm not quite sure what he did, but I can barely even tell it's him singing lead vocals.

That's probably sarcasm, eh?

I second Lemon.

The first song that glitched me upon hearing it was Lemon. Never heard anything like it.

I'd listened to Achtung many times before anything else, so what I'd heard on that album was U2 to me. I didn't really listen to anything they did before, so The Fly wasn't a shock, it was just U2.

I listened to AB over and over in 92'/93' and delved into the back catalogue- mostly Rattle and Hum and JT right before Zooropa came out. Hearing Lemon was a big WTF, and took a while to get used to.

It's still the most unique song they've done. 2nd tier contenders would be Mofo, Miami and Playboy Mansion.

It's very interesting how we all focus on different elements of their music. For instance- Cedars of Lebanon. I like the song but for me it's a mood song- all about the vibe. Other's have mentioned the song being written from a different POV, which I never real thought about. Lemon is a song that sounds cool with he bass thump in the car and cool lyrics. If I hadn't been told, I would have never known it was about Iris' dress, and wouldn't have given much thought to the lyrics.

Lemon is #6 in my songs ranking.

When I said earlier 'paint by numbers' didn't mean it to have a super negative connotation. Walk On, magnificent, and COBL are great songs but you get the feeling the band could write them in their sleep.

U2 has had so many great experimental moments. We always seem to crave it when it's done well. I think SOI is familiar and experimental at the same. The album feels unique in the discography. I'm excited for what SOE will bring.

I still can't believe U2 were involved a song like Viva Davidoff.

I'm still deadly curious to find out whether this was a joke or not.

Because it really doesn't read like sarcasm.

I'd suggest a Passengers song but we all know what that results in in this forum

I would think that "project" would be disqualified. The entire album is "unique". I used to actually listen to Passengers when I would fall asleep at night. I found the album very relaxing. And I mean that in a good way. :wink: I used to listen to Pink Floyd and Neil Young too for the same effect.

Back
Top Bottom