Most Overrated U2 Song vs Most Underrated U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most Overrated - Stuck in a Moment You Can't get Out Of[/B]

I have to disagree. This is bashed and misunderstood far too much in this forum. This song is U2 doing blue eyed soul, singing about a dark manner in an uplifting pop song, with an interesting/ complicated melody, and one of my favorite outros of the 2000s. As far as criticism of this song, I have seen some of the most truly baffling statements concerning this song.

O'Brien of Radiohead once said this is one of U2's best songs they've ever done, I wouldn't go that far, but it's good to see someone not be a music snob and take this song for what it's worth.

It's a really solid song. The only problem is that it has a certain lacquered, vaguely insincere genre exercise vibe about it because of the hideous production and fake horns. Acoustically? Absolutely gorgeous. Live? Not bad. On the album? It's bad. Real bad. So I suppose I'm indifferent to the song's existence.

O'Brien of Radiohead once said this is one of U2's best songs they've ever done

That's awesome. Good for him. In the few interviews, documentaries, etc. that I've seen of Radiohead, Ed O'Brien always struck me as a cool guy. Thom is obviously the figurehead, and I love Thom as well, but I've always felt like Ed is probably the best guy in Radiohead to go and have a beer with and shoot the shit. If you went and had a beer with Thom or either of the Greenwood brothers they would probably be socially awkward and just stare off at the walls or some shit.

It is hard to call Stuck overrated when it's generally bashed heavily in here.

I agree that it's a great song, very poorly produced - another late cock up due to commercial hopes, I assume.

Somewhere exists a more raw, heavily 'gospel' version of the song, featuring Mick Jagger on backing vocal. That this has not seen the light of day is criminal.

Overrated- Pride, Bullet The Blue Sky, Elevation
Underrated- No Line On The Horizon, Ultraviolet, In A Little While, One Tree Hill, Hawkmoon
Couldn't pick just one

It is hard to call Stuck overrated when it's generally bashed heavily in here.

I agree that it's a great song, very poorly produced - another late cock up due to commercial hopes, I assume.

Somewhere exists a more raw, heavily 'gospel' version of the song, featuring Mick Jagger on backing vocal. That this has not seen the light of day is criminal.

Agreed. I would love to hear that heavier gospel version. It'll probably be on the ATYCLB remaster. I think Stuck is a good song and it makes me feel kind of happy. One of my favs of ATYCLB.

While the acoustic version they're playing this tour might be a sleeper I find it to be quite beautiful. The only problem with Stuck acoustic in a stadium show is it takes the life right out of the show. In an arena tour I can see it working. Full band Stuck was actually quite good IMO.

Agreed. I would love to hear that heavier gospel version. It'll probably be on the ATYCLB remaster. I think Stuck is a good song and it makes me feel kind of happy. One of my favs of ATYCLB.

While the acoustic version they're playing this tour might be a sleeper I find it to be quite beautiful. The only problem with Stuck acoustic in a stadium show is it takes the life right out of the show. In an arena tour I can see it working. Full band Stuck was actually quite good IMO.
The Rose Bowl version was pretty weak, the Amsterdam II version for example is a lot better. The Irving Plaza version from 2000 is my favourite.

Overrated: Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, Get On Your Boots

Underrated: Hallelujah Here She Comes, Room At The Heartbreak Hotel, So Cruel, Miami, I Fall Down, If God Will Send His Angels, FEZ-Being Born, Lady With the Spinning Head, Slug

Underrated: Hallelujah Here She Comes

:up: People throw b-sides around as underrated simply because they're not played live when in fact they're beloved by fans (case in point: Love Comes Tumbling), but this one IS overlooked. Should have made R&H.

LemonMelon, that's exactly how I feel about Always. It's a b-sider, and obviously the only reason it's not on ATYCLB is because it is the original Beautiful Day.

I dont hear anything about Always, not even here on Interference. I think it deserves a better fate.

Most overrated for me is Mysterious Ways. Always seemed a bit "light" for me, one of the weaker tracks on AB. Over the years it became a live staple, and is now probably one of the most famous U2 songs as far as the general public are concerned. Most underrated is Mofo, Gone and Wake Up Dead Man. Bono really bares his soul on these songs, and they don't seem to get talked about as often as they should.

I have to disagree. This is bashed and misunderstood far too much in this forum. This song is U2 doing blue eyed soul, singing about a dark manner in an uplifting pop song, with an interesting/ complicated melody, and one of my favorite outros of the 2000s. As far as criticism of this song, I have seen some of the most truly baffling statements concerning this song.

O'Brien of Radiohead once said this is one of U2's best songs they've ever done, I wouldn't go that far, but it's good to see someone not be a music snob and take this song for what it's worth.

You can disagree with me all you want but don't tell me I "Misunderstand the song" Also I don't care what O'brien thinks because his taste is not mine so.... I don't care what the band is trying to accomplish with this song I just don't think it's overly good and it has nothing to do with my lack of understanding thank you.

You can disagree with me all you want but don't tell me I "Misunderstand the song" Also I don't care what O'brien thinks because his taste is not mine so.... I don't care what the band is trying to accomplish with this song I just don't think it's overly good and it has nothing to do with my lack of understanding thank you.

Calm down, I said it was misunderstood in this forum. You never stated why you thought it was overrated, so I don't know if you misunderstand it or not.

Sheesh people read the posts will ya?

Most overrated for me is Mysterious Ways. Always seemed a bit "light" for me, one of the weaker tracks on AB. Over the years it became a live staple, and is now probably one of the most famous U2 songs as far as the general public are concerned.
:up: Aside from So Cruel it's my least favourite on Achtung Baby. I like the song but I don't understand the immense love it gets. I do enjoy it a lot more live.

Been a U2 fan since 83.

Overrated- Pride. It's a great song, but doesn't belong in the canon of all-time U2 songs such as SBS, NYD, IWF, Bad, etc. IMO the beatification of King had already been done to death by that time, but maybe that's just me. (My parents were in the civil rights movement so it was old news.)

Underrated- Playboy Mansion. I never bought Pop so I came to this a decade after it was released. My daughter told me her college religon teacher talked about this song and I finally got the album. I still can't believe the brillance of the song- how it intertwines the language of Scripture with blatant consumerism for a scathing indictment of our culture (esp. America's.)

IMO one of U2's best ever and certainly most underrated songs. I've noticed many downgrade it perhaps because of the dated cultural references. To me that just enhances its point more as it juxtaposes the permanence of religon with the temporalness of an ad campaign.

Been a U2 fan since 83.

Overrated- Pride. It's a great song, but doesn't belong in the canon of all-time U2 songs such as SBS, NYD, IWF, Bad, etc. IMO the beatification of King had already been done to death by that time, but maybe that's just me. (My parents were in the civil rights movement so it was old news.)

Underrated- Playboy Mansion. I never bought Pop so I came to this a decade after it was released. My daughter told me her college religon teacher talked about this song and I finally got the album. I still can't believe the brillance of the song- how it intertwines the language of Scripture with blatant consumerism for a scathing indictment of our culture (esp. America's.)

IMO one of U2's best ever and certainly most underrated songs. I've noticed many downgrade it perhaps because of the dated cultural references. To me that just enhances its point more as it juxtaposes the permanence of religon with the temporalness of an ad campaign.

I don't agree about Pride. I actually love it (especially the 'They could not take your *pie* ' :wink: - part).
I agree about The Playboy Mansion though. But then again, every song from Pop is far too underrated sadly...

Most overrated - this one is really hard to choose, but I think I'll go for Beautiful Day. I love it, but it shouldn't be as popular as it is among the general public, when you compare it to other songs.

Underrated - Exit. It's one of my favorite songs, but unfortunately not very known by most people.

Calm down, I said it was misunderstood in this forum. You never stated why you thought it was overrated, so I don't know if you misunderstand it or not.

Sheesh people read the posts will ya?

Ummm... yeah I read your post and it was clear what you were implying. Plus what's there to misunderstand? You either like a song or you don't. Doesn't really matter what styles are being incorporated inot it. It's pretty clear by your post that you're of the opinion people who don't like the song simply don't understand it which is a load of bull but whatever

Ummm... yeah I read your post and it was clear what you were implying. Plus what's there to misunderstand? You either like a song or you don't. Doesn't really matter what styles are being incorporated inot it. It's pretty clear by your post that you're of the opinion people who don't like the song simply don't understand it which is a load of bull but whatever

:doh: Part of the OP's thread was to disagree or agree with someone's position, that's all I was doing and then I made a general observation that I found that many don't understand the song.

Like I said you didn't say enough for me to know if you get it or don't so obviously that part didn't apply to you. I was speaking about those that don't like it then post their explanations and it's obvious they don't understand the song, there are a lot of those in here. I'm sorry if I used your post as a springboard to address those people.

:up: It's sad people don't look beyond the production on the song...

Over - COBL
Under - AMAAW
Love the Adam baseline.... Love the angst "little sister.... I've been sleeping in the street again".

Yes, although i love most U2 songs including Beautiful Day, my opinion is that it is the most overrated U2 song.
It reminds me of people who have just gotten into U2 and don`t know hardly anything about their old stuff. The ones i know all say it`s their favourite song...he he!
I think the most underrated is definately Ultraviolet. It`s great to see it in the setlist for the 360 tour. I love the live version, and can`t stop listening to it!

Overrated: Beautiful Day. It's a really nice song... But just nice, incomparable with the other stuff.
Underrated: Spanish Eyes. In my opinion this song shows perfectly the climate of that era but it was only a b-side.

Back
Top Bottom