Most epic U2 song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
welcome josh

i understand completely why people put Streets at the top of many lists......but it
no longer does full epic for me. Still a great song, i got bored of it live for a while and have come back to enjoying it again (I was shocked when i suddenly felt bored with at a show)

UTEOTW has that incredible sound, guitar solos, dramatic lyrics at times sung so well, and of course now in 360 that whole last few mins pumped up live on the bridges wow!

Zooropa to me is epic run through almost post-modern meets psychedelia filters.
When they go into the swoosh of the "and I have no compass...."
a "drugless HIGH"

of course Acrobat .... so intense emotionally, vocally and guitar-wise ...what was the
joke>>>> "...Edge would need 3 days of meditation in order to play Acrobat live...." was that bono who said that?

As much as I love NLOTH live--- i actually think the album version is a bit better in the aspect of audio dynamics esp the whole instrumental opening and then right soon after when that wall of sound kicks in
but what cements it as epic for me is the final "no line" chorus- as they change the vocal notes to a more uplifting dynamic. I feel like I'm heading into a new, altered and better place, a better state of the world.

BTBS -- i really liked the BOMB Live versions. wow i'd be sitting / ore standing with jaw nearly open. between edges playing and bono's singing and talking....

SBS- sometimes yes sometimes "nearly so"...

something no one has mentioned yet.....

In God's Country
this mix of lyrics very visual , very panoramic landscapes, with metaphors, and yearning personal verses with these incredible set of rhythymic chords from Edge along with that final cascade of notes..... what power!!!
I :pray: I get to hear it full band one day !!!
it gets quite a repeat in R&H DVD

Well probably 'Streets' of course

But I also think Love is Blindness is kind of 'epic' as you say.

Also the original HTDAAB sessions 'Mercy' probably fits this category I feel..:wink:

Streets, The Unforgettable Fire, Until the End of the World, The Fly, Zooropa, Lemon, magnificent, please, Bad, Love is Blindness, Exit, Sunday Bloody sunday, Tomorrow.

Im not sure what you mean by "epic" as I dont think that necessarily means 'better' but I guess those would be the most "epic" songs

Where the streets have no name
With or without you
Pride
The Unforgettable fire
Zooropa
Lemon
Bad

Zooropa and An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart are both epics worthy of the best prog/kraut rockers. Huge, multi part songs with complex lyrics. And they're great to listen to while high.

U2 doesn`t really do understated all that well.

Couldn't disagree more. Their understated work isn't their most famous, but it is certainly one of my favourite aspects of theirs (along with the more rocking side of them). Running To Stand Still, Velvet Dress, Slug, Your Blue Room... All of those present some of the best work they did IMO.

If I had to choose one, Where The Streets Have No Name. But if I make a list, it would be as follows:

Where The Streets Have No Name
Until The End Of The World
With Or Without You
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Bad
Zooropa
The Fly
New Year's Day
A Sort Of Homecoming
Acrobat
All I Want Is You
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
The Unforgettable Fire
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day

Couldn't disagree more. Their understated work isn't their most famous, but it is certainly one of my favourite aspects of theirs (along with the more rocking side of them). Running To Stand Still, Velvet Dress, Slug, Your Blue Room... All of those present some of the best work they did IMO.

Running to Stand Still is hardly understated, and live it's positively chill-inducing epic.

Granted, the others you listed aren't epic, no, but songs like that represent the least part of their catalogue and two of them aren't even on proper U2 albums. By far the majority of the stuff that appears on a U2 Record is fairly epic..big tunes..imo.

Ok, point taken but again Stateless isn't exactly representative of U2's overall body of work.

You guys would have a better time noting Promenade or something. A beautifully understated track on an album of epics.

The Ocean. Scarlet. October. 40. Promenade. EPAA. RTSS. Mothers of the Disappeared. HEARTLAND. So Cruel. The First Time. Velvet Dress. Grace. Cedars of Lebanon. A whole range of b-sides.

That's just off the top of my head.

What filming? Isn't one video a bunch of clips cobbled (ha) together,and the other a bunch of flying pictures and actual windows in the skies?

The Ocean. Scarlet. October. 40. Promenade. EPAA. RTSS. Mothers of the Disappeared. HEARTLAND. So Cruel. The First Time. Velvet Dress. Grace. Cedars of Lebanon. A whole range of b-sides.

That's just off the top of my head.

October, RTSS, MOTD, Heartland, So Cruel - I don't consider those understated in the least bit.

Maybe you need to define your version of "understated" for us, because I don't get your U2 logic here.

Are you just not comparing them to other U2 songs? Are you talking more understated in general? Promenade you agree on, okay. But how do you not hear "understated" in the album version of RTSS?

Huh. I guess it's been so long since I'd seen the videos, I forgot U2 were actually in one of them, in non-picture form.

Back
Top Bottom